How True is "the smiles are fake"?

Brian Nose

I remember them years ago, hoping they come back one day, but presently it's rare to have an interaction with a Thai outside your social circle that isn't masked or double masked. Any body language you can infer from the eyes is usually fear - the farang is near, - or confusion - why the farang is maskless?

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Smiles have many different meanings here...

If you think that every smile means 'I am hot for you' - then yes, in your world the smile will often be fake.. 

If you learn about the culture and when and how smiles are used, you might come to like it here. 

I like it here.

But I see lots of fakes smiles.

Particularly those that are expressed for half a second while looking at you, then the face quickly reverts to a blank look.

A real smile, starts slowly, remains constant for a while, and fades away slowly.

And I am so happy when I see one, that it is impossible for me not to smile back, as it is the case for many people I am sure, as it is the contagious one...

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I watch lots of Louis Rossman videos.

And I "know" a few people who lived there.

I used to live there - - but what I used to know about NYC is surely not very relevant to the NYC that is there today... 

Rossman? 

I lived in the NYC that was a Woody Allen movie... I never saw a Rossman in it? 

1 hour ago, plus7 said:

Are you sure western/american smiles are really sincere ?

spacer.png

For some reason a video turned up on youtube about this guy. How he was minding his own business and a guy said he'd like to take photos of him in different poses - in an office, as a doctor etc. Got a tiny payment if I recall. Next think he knows he's internet famous. Is often stopped in the street etc. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I used to live there - - but what I used to know about NYC is surely not very relevant to the NYC that is there today... 

Rossman? 

I lived in the NYC that was a Woody Allen movie... I never saw a Rossman in it? 

He is an expert in repairing Apple devices. And over time he became an advocate for right to repair. And he lived and worked in NY for many years.

Louis Rossmann - YouTube

17 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

For some reason a video turned up on youtube about this guy. How he was minding his own business and a guy said he'd like to take photos of him in different poses - in an office, as a doctor etc. Got a tiny payment if I recall. Next think he knows he's internet famous. Is often stopped in the street etc. 

https://www.dailydot.com/unclick/hide-pain-harold-interview/

3 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

The smile can be fake, what the reality is, is that there are various smiles with different meanings. 

So if your question is if many of the smiles, are not the same genuine smile as we know it in the west, that is true indeed. 

Local and regional enigmatic magic. 

All of which requires connecting to be comprehended.......

Outsiders don't have the ability to recognize what is and what isn't. 

• Like 1