Counterfeit Goods Worth 173 Million Baht Destroyed

webfact

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

No, the destroyed goods don't have that value.

The "real" goods might have a retail price in that amount. 

One reason fake products exists is because many of those brand name products are vastly overpriced. If those products would be sold for reasonable prices, related to what it cost to produce them, then many pirated products wouldn't exist.

And yes, I know there are a few exceptions.

You can't pay players £400,000 a week without tacking a few bob on a cheap shirt!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

He said Thailand gives importance to tackle intellectual property infringements and the results of comprehensive crackdown and cooperation among related agencies can be seen in the US 2021 Review of Notorious Markets for Counterfeiting and Piracy, which did not identify any notorious markets either physical or online markets in Thailand, selling counterfeit and pirated goods.  

2 hours ago, wombat said:

Just being curious...they are counterfeit so they are worth nothing?

Yes...recycled would be a better way to do it.

Not so sure if the counterfeits are worse than the originals. Why should they be recycled? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Funny that do not bother confiscating these pirate and fake goods on entry at the ports.

Also, Central in Pattaya now sells fakes quite openly , and yet they turn a blind eye to it

What do you care? 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bim Smith said:

This is all show particular for the US government to make it look like they are doing something. Go to any shopping mall and you will see and array of counterfeit goods for sale in addition to Lazarda, Shoopee and Ailibaba

100% correct what you see is not even the tip of the iceberg. Copied in Thailand the rest was sold out of Bangkok in bulk to vendors from all over Thailand all being sold now throughout all their 72 provinces in local markets. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, itsari said:

Primitive way of disposing unwanted goods .

Recycling would be the way to go .

But simply recycling would not be a show.

Also after they have been destroyed then, the Thais will go through and recycle what can be used.

The purpose of this show is not to take the goods out os circulation it is to show the world and the U.S. that they are active in this.

Go to NANA or a lot of other areas even MBK and you can find counterfeit goods. quite easily.  

The bigger joke used to be people sold Nik shirts and shoes.

or you could buy role watches

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kingstonkid said:

But simply recycling would not be a show.

Also after they have been destroyed then, the Thais will go through and recycle what can be used.

The purpose of this show is not to take the goods out os circulation it is to show the world and the U.S. that they are active in this.

Go to NANA or a lot of other areas even MBK and you can find counterfeit goods. quite easily.  

The bigger joke used to be people sold Nik shirts and shoes.

or you could buy role watches

I agree the whole episode is a show . But I think there could be a smarter way to show the world that they care about copyright law .

32 minutes ago, itsari said:

I agree the whole episode is a show . But I think there could be a smarter way to show the world that they care about copyright law .

Probably but remember you are in SE Asia.  Things have to be done big to show the world that you mean business.    I lived in Pakistan in the 90's and when the Microsoft reps came to town, they had a bog show of raiding different stores and shops that were selling software.

The joke was that they raided the first floor and as soon as they left the shop opened on the second floor

Just go to some of the tourist markets, and you will see the absurdity of all this again it is just a show for the big companies.  Pantip used to be the largest software and counterfeit store in SE Asia. 

They just relocated some of the shops to different areas.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, shackleton said:

Buying counterfeit goods in Thailand tourists loved it 

Rolex watches come to mind ????

Friends used to ask me get them one when in Thailand 

Agree I bought a genuine Lolex for 500bt years ago ????

• Like 1