Will the wall primer + color hide this mess?

FrederikKitten

In my life I have only painted nice walls. And this time my walls in entire house are quiet a mess and I'm lacking experience here.

Will the standard primer + color hide this? There was a lot of renovation done + there is a lot of kids drawing on some walls. Or should something else be done before primer + color?

1.thumb.jpg.211db9504c48c7ae6d43413bdef49846.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.32c4dc8a6ef3af68e5b7d453cac69640.jpg

You can find several methods online to try and remove the crayon markings first.

Primer and paint will make the wall colors match where the work was done but you will always see the lines where it was done.  Unless you resurfaced the whole wall.

In my living room I had a doorway and the light switch covered up and you can still see where it was.  But it doesn't look that bad.

Edited by rwill
  • Like 1

This is nothing new typical of how they install the electrical  in the walls or filling in a area which was a window?

There are two types of primers for new cement or old of if Thai doing the work they will know what to use the area does needed to be scrape down and smooth of the access so once applied you won't see the outlines. 

Single coat of quality primer (straight out of a well stirred tin). Don't skimp on the coverage as many amateurs do.

Crayon - WD 40 lubricant spray on a plastic kitchen sponge/scourer will remove the crayon easily and entirely. Make sure you clean this surface area after with some alcohol to remove the greasy film the WD puts on the wall.

Use quality interior mould resistant, washable, wall paint x 2 coats (will resist the kids drawing and make it easy to remove other marks as the years go by).

Apply paint exactly as instructed out of the tin (stir well, don't try and make it go further by thinning it). 

• Like 2

I'd recommend using a good quality sealer first. They are designed to prevent bleed through. Them prime and finish coat as usual. I used to paint professionally and a good sealer will stop crayon, magic marker  and all sorts of nasty stuff from bleeding through. Here's a quick link to the paint guru site you might find helpful: Stain Stoppers: Primers That Block Bleed-Through - Paint Gurus (typepad.com) 

Good luck!

we've just had something similar done. Didn't need to re-render the walls. First the walls were sandpapered. Second they were painted with a protective skin. This was applied to stop the cement render from absorbing the moisture out of the paint. Third 1 coat of undercoat was applied & Fourth 2 top coats were then applied.

15 hours ago, FrederikKitten said:

Will the standard primer + color hide this? There was a lot of renovation done + there is a lot of kids drawing on some walls. Or should something else be done before primer + color?

Use a quality primer and paint over a small section and see the result.. that will give your answer.

If no good you may need to screed the worst areas.

16 hours ago, FrederikKitten said:

In my life I have only painted nice walls. And this time my walls in entire house are quiet a mess and I'm lacking experience here.

Will the standard primer + color hide this?

Yes. If it's only the colour differences on the wall that you are trying to hide, then primer and enough coats of paint will hide that. 

If you're trying to hide faults in the wall and areas where work has been done on the original wall, no amount of paint will hide that.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

If you're trying to hide faults in the wall and areas where work has been done on the original wall, no amount of paint will hide that.

Strange that you were "confused" when I actually posted that already, but I get it, you always want to have the last word.

Boring

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

Strange that you were "confused" when I actually posted that already, but I get it, you always want to have the last word.

Boring

Why should you be concerned about why I'm "confused"? 

"Boring"

But, yes, I do agree with that self-analysis of your own comment.

• Sad 1

It all depends on how good a finish you want??

Are the repairs and the walls even, if not and you want a good finish get a plasterer to plaster the walls. Remove the crayon as it will probably effect the adhesion of anything you put on the wall wether it be plaster or paint. You could buy a sealer primer and give it a coupe of coats a day apart and see what it looks like. Alternatively If the walls aren't bad get a course hand sander and give it a good sand, if it comes up ok then just put your primer sealer on and then top coat it. 

Good luck.

Edited by paul1804

On 8/28/2022 at 2:52 PM, FrederikKitten said:

It's hard to judge how even the wall is from the photos, but you can sandpaper it - it's always advisable by professional painters to sandpaper plastered walls before painting - if it's even, then primer and paint will work. If not, you might need some skim coat.

I would do two layers of primer with one day separation, wait another day and thereafter two or three layers of paint...????