Bangkok morning turns to night - it's climate change as top Thai scientist warns of more "extreme weather"

webfact

3 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Not like this year, they are historic floods with a third of the country underwater and food shortages to follow. Must be jumping on the bandwagon eh......

You are making an argument using one country knowing that another could very easily use another country to argue a counter point. 

The planet is warming and IMO most likely it is because of humans. 

Edited by onthedarkside
flame comments removed

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Extreme weather events are natural on Earth too. What's not natural is the TREND towards ever more extreme events and temperatures.

I think you have chosen to miss my point altogether. Did you also miss the point that the "climate changers" will stick to the script, no matter what?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, atpeace said:

You are making an argument using one country knowing that another could very easily use another country to argue a counter point. 

The planet is warming and IMO most likely it is because of humans.

No I am making a point of what is happening right now in Pakistan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

Actually the reality is that we have completely failed to adapt to the changing climate and no amount of innovation will make a difference which has the outcome of the human species surviving. We either stop burning fossil fuels and clearing trees or we will become extinct.

Really? There are no other alternatives.  How many trees can we clear and how much fossil fuel can we burn?

Edited by onthedarkside
off topic and flame comments removed
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, atpeace said:

Really? There are no other alternatives.  How many trees can we clear and how much fossil fuel can we burn?

We passed that point of balance decades ago. Why don't you take the time to do some research for yourself? It's all been posted in this forum over the months. Or you could look at the climate policy for any university.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

One post with unsourced and unsubstantiated claims, and another with flaming comments, have been removed, and several have been edited to remove flaming / trolling comments aimed at fellow forum members.

Also, members who keep commenting on other forum members, instead of addressing the topic, are going to face a suspension if they continue.

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

A third of the country underwater? Lol but the flooding miraculously stopped at the India  and Afghanistan  borders?

Pakistan is a utter disaster. Lots of flooding in India (which is not so unusual, but still above norm) and Afghanistan, some districts devastated. Of course if one follows only the main western news, who have to give voice to Zelensky every day, what happens in Afghanistan will not be apparent.

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You wrote: " It's 100% down to human activity"

I don't think that is for all those governments and scientific and academic institution in the world say.

There is an enormous difference between human involvement and "100% down to human activity"

Humans are directly responsible for global warming due to burning fossil fuels and clearing forests. Were it not for these activities the planet would be cooling. There are no natural factors contributing to global cooling at the present time.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Trentham said:

Climate change didn't begin in 2011. 2010 was also a climate change event.

Actually, it started when humans discovered fire. At first it wasn't bad, the world's natural mechanisms took care of it, but starting about 1776, the beginning of the Industrial Revolution, with the industrial use of steam power, it took off. We passed the point where we could do anything about it around 1850. No link, my opinion.

Of course the climate has always been changing, but we were in a pretty sweet situation after the last Ice Age.

Edited by Acharn

I am not surprised climate change was blamed for a dark cloud. People with an agenda will jump on any chance to push that agenda.

I’m in south Louisiana. I woke up yesterday to a rain storm that turned day into night. It must be climate change right? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BuangItoy said:

I am not surprised climate change was blamed for a dark cloud. People with an agenda will jump on any chance to push that agenda.

I’m in south Louisiana. I woke up yesterday to a rain storm that turned day into night. It must be climate change right? 

Climate denier talking point 3: claim that blaming a single weather event on climate change is ridiculous while ignoring the wider pattern and trends.

4 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

When are these climate changers going to look at what controls the weather, thence climate. It is not the atmosphere but the Gulf Steam in Europe and eastern USA, the Southern Oscillation index in South America, Australia and everything between, and the Indian Ocean Dipole in southern Asia and the east coast of Africa.

Before humans but not so sure now,  You might be right but I think fossil fuels have had an impact.  As alternatives become more affordable, I hope that the impact is diminished.  For example electric cars are arguably cheaper now than fossil fuel vehicles.  In the end, the we are doomed anxiety ridden fools will probably be proven wrong once again.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, atpeace said:

Why?  Other people with perspective don't matter? I find alternative points interesting. It would be sad to only follow like minded individuals but whatever rocks your boat.

Because one person asking "Why didn't the water spill over the borders into India or Afghanistan- Did the Himalayas get covered too?"

In response to the fact that one thrid of Pakistan is flooded does not exactly fill me with interest, understand now?

• Like 1

First we had the Ice Age, when temperatures were below zero, followed by the medieval warm period, and next the little ice age, where the earth cooled down again.

For years it was accepted by scientists, that current temperatures were on the same level as during the medieval period.

In 2006, new "evidence" revealed that we are actually 1 degree warmer as during the medieval period.

(Remind me who started the climate reality project just 1 year earlier.)

Now wait another 10 years, and there will be maybe new evidence that at that time the temperature is again at the same level as the medieval period, or 1 degree lower.

Moral of my post, I don't deny climate change is a fact, it has been happening for centuries

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

First we had the Ice Age, when temperatures were below zero, followed by the medieval warm period, and next the little ice age, where the earth cooled down again.

For years it was accepted by scientists, that current temperatures were on the same level as during the medieval period.

In 2006, new "evidence" revealed that we are actually 1 degree warmer as during the medieval period.

Now wait another 10 years, and there will be maybe new evidence that at that time the temperature is again at the same level as the medieval period, or 1 degree lower.

Moral of my post, I don't deny climate change is a fact, it has been happening for centuries

This is like having to argue all over again that the earth isn't flat. Some things just aren't open to rational debate.

The reason a rational debate isn't possible is that climate deniers are politically and religiously driven, rather than relying on science.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

"While the Medieval Warm Period saw unusually warm temperatures in some regions, globally the planet was cooler than current conditions."

"One of the most often cited arguments of those skeptical of global warming is that the Medieval Warm Period (800-1400 AD) was as warm as or warmer than today."

"Overall, our conclusions are:

a) Globally temperatures are warmer than they have been during the last 2,000 years, and

b) the causes of Medieval warming are not the same as those causing late 20th century warming."

https://skepticalscience.com/medieval-warm-period.htm

• Confused 2

40 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Humans are directly responsible for global warming due to burning fossil fuels and clearing forests. Were it not for these activities the planet would be cooling. There are no natural factors contributing to global cooling at the present time.

I think it's always fascinating when some people are so 100% sure that they know exactly what is going on - even if they talk about very complicated systems which nobody completely understands.

Edited by onthedarkside
trolling comment to other forum member removed
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Actually the reality is that we have completely failed to adapt to the changing climate and no amount of innovation will make a difference which has the outcome of the human species surviving. We either stop burning fossil fuels and clearing trees or we will become extinct.

Plenty of examples of adaption. Air conditioning for one. Central heating. So many. Dikes. Come on. There's much more we can do. 

Please read the books Fossil Future or False Alarm. 

It's not time to panic. Leaders who are panicked make poor decisions. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

Here's another fact for you, climate change is happening because of increased CO2 levels due to human intervention:

image.png.26f472ebc015a696d77377954394d852.png

https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/carbon-dioxide/