Major Thai agencies predicting repeat of Bangkok's "2011 Great Flood" - city will disappear altogether by 2100 unless govt acts

webfact

1 minute ago, proton said:

At least it will solve the soi dog problem ????

Possibly.

One flooded morning Madam wandered down to condo reception for a natter with the other residents who had decided to sit it out to the sight of the lone security guard trying to persuade a crocodile that the reception area wasn't a good place to take up residence!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Funny that people build towns and cities and houses on historic flood plains and then moan about flooding !

When "cities" were built, they didn't have paved roads and
trains and electricity and skyscrapers and they didn't need to commute

to work and didn't have global commerce.

A flood did not do as much damage as it does today.

Edited by arithai12
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, blazes said:

This little sentence stands all by itself in the middle of the story. Why? 

What poppycock.    When are the climate alarmists going to accept that climate has been "changing" for 4 billion years. 

It was once possible (10,000 years ago) to walk from the east coast of England to what is now Denmark....It was called Doggerland.

Part of which is still there, but a few meters below sea level now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, orchidfan said:

I remember the Great flood of 2011 NOT fondly. 

Downstairs of the house and garden under metres of filthy smelling water for months. 

Moved what we could upstairs but still a lot of damage to built in furniture, garden 90% dead.

Only transport in or out of the property by boat (until we finally abandoned and went to our condo).

I think we got B20,000 compensation for hundreds of thousands of baht in damages.

As I recall it was brought on by 3 consecutive tropical storms (which had been typhoons before making land fall) then the decision to open the flood gates upstream and let us in Pathum Thani cop it. 

Hopefully not again !

From memory 2011 was similar to this year, it just rained almost every day for months. Towards the end of the rains the dams were full, they were forced to release water despite tropical storms, with still more water coming from the North.

I've been thinking about this the past few weeks. I'm not surprised to read this prediction, if the rains don't ease up we are in trouble.

32 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

When "cities" were built, they didn't have paved roads and
trains and electricity and skyscrapers and they didn't need to commute

to work and didn't have global commerce.

A flood did not do as much damage as it does today.

It did as much damage then as it does today or was getting your house washed away different years ago?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, blazes said:

This little sentence stands all by itself in the middle of the story. Why? 

What poppycock.    When are the climate alarmists going to accept that climate has been "changing" for 4 billion years. 

It was once possible (10,000 years ago) to walk from the east coast of England to what is now Denmark....It was called Doggerland.

The difference is, the climate we have now is changing due to anthropomorphic emissions of carbon dioxide. Which have trended upwards ever since the Industrial Revolution. Fact.

As less than 1% of the world's population has any education in thermodynamics, it is easy for climate deniers to push the false narrative of a natural cycle.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Decades ago the Prince of Orange of teh Netherlands offered help for water management. But Thailand did not needed it and could solve the problem itself... So if never help is accepted from abroad, and think that the country can do everything by itself, don't complain

8 hours ago, webfact said:

They said that the Thai government needs to act now

No no no ....a thousand times no.

For heavens sake , this is Thailand and the correct thing to do , something that is long steeped in tradition , is wait for disaster to strike  and THEN and only then , throw a lot of money at it ( opportunities for siphoning off cash ) . Shutting the door after the horse has bolted is set in stone here. 

This is the way forward ( as backward as it sounds to us ) 

I approached my local electricity authority with photographs of trees hanging dangerously over the wires strung between posts outside our house. It was only a matter of time before a strong wind blew them onto the cables and the whole soi would lose their electricity.

' But its ok right now ' they said

So go home and if they fall we will fix it.

Three weeks later ....big storm, down came branches and off went electricity. In fairness , they had it repaired 4 hours later but the ' prevention is better than a cure ' concept has not even made it to the conceptual stage here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 2long said:

What does "a different form of flooding to the Great Flood of 2011" mean?

Well, I suggest that in addition to chaining boats to the bridges, they should chain helicopters to the roofs of the most-important buildings!! ????

On that note, WHY do we have the plural of roof as roofs? hoof/hooves(& hoofs) leaf/leaves calf/calves etc etc ????

Panic not, you can use rooves as well.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, nauseus said:

You have to consider numerous factors. Anthropogenic GGs, including CO2 are a relatively new addition to the earth's atmosphere but the climate would be changing anyway without them, as it always has.

Yes, it would get milder as the earth would be cooling. Climate changes due to natural causes happen at a tiny fraction of the rate that it's changing now.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Prof Seri said one is needed to be erected from Pattaya to Cha-Am. This would create a massive fresh water lake in the Gulf of Thailand changing industries and tourism for ever.

Hmm, I understand the distance between Cha-am and Pattaya, across the Gulf of Thailand, is 100km. Taking an educated punt that this would be the biggest and most expensive Thai infrastructure project ever, and by some margin.

Seems plausible. :coffee1:

Even if they do build it, it’s just kicking the can down the road and they will still have to effectively control the water levels in “Lake Thailand”.

Based on previous experience, I can’t say I am particularly confident they can do that…

I also wonder if Prof Seri is on the board of any companies operating in a related business? ????????