German claims he was warned off by police from pursuing his political protests against acting PM

webfact

7 hours ago, novacova said:

Hopefully he’ll keep his promise and not light up it up again 

He has already stated ( after the police warned him) that he and his wife are going to join the protesters this weekend. So maybe he will be traveling back to Germany very soon.

15 minutes ago, Nickelbeer said:

Sometimes, it takes a case like this to remind expats that “free speech” does not exist in Thailand.

It is the simplest thing in the world to ignore politics.

First sentence: 100% agree. The second sentence depends on the individual situation. Anyone who has a business here, has a Thai family, has children together, has settled in Thailand for a long time, pays taxes, etc. is more or less affected by political decisions.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

A YOUNG German man who displayed a photo of caretaker Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan with a red cross over it at a traffic island in Mueang district of Rayong province yesterday (Sept. 1), quickly fled to Bangkok last night after police came to his house to gave a warning, Matichon newspaper said.

Bangkok, of all places! Shouldn't the young man have fled to Phnom Penh instead?

There is a freedom of speech act and everyone is the same in front of the law. 

What a non-Thai has to learn and accept is, that the freedom of speech thing might apply to Thai nationals only while everybody, Thais as non-Thais, are the same in front of the law. On the latter it helps to understand, that some are samer and/or more equal than others. 

Quite simple actually ???? 

2 hours ago, SymS said:

The first article says "it is understood that the German and his Thai wife", so he might be staying here on a marriage visa.
The wife is however downgraded to "girlfriend" (provided it's the same person) in the second article. He could as well just work here.

A bright future awaits him..

3 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

Shame to see a German man, having bigger balls then the average Thai.

What a laugh this lot are.

Get him !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :stoner:

No, the blokes crackers, he is not in Germany, and no doubt he will eventually learn a lesson..........????

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. He's already been warned to stay off (public) politics, and now he's off to Bangkok to attend protests? Sorry, but no sympathy here for what's surely to come - I hope his wife likes Germany because that's their next stop. I'll never understand why some people come to Thailand and think they're a special snowflake and can do whatever they want without repercussions - he thinks he has the RIGHT to protest, but this is Thailand and as a non-citizen he has no rights. (not to mention even citizens' right to protest is barely tolerated)

8 hours ago, Gerard052 said:

I sider for him.

8 hours ago, Gerard052 said:

I mean side for him.

5 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

I side with him

4 hours ago, Shocked farang said:

Yes you do, but with a big difference: You don't protest openly! You keep your opinions to yourself or circle of friends. If you want to protest, please leave Thailand first! 

Actually, I was just helping out Gerard052 with his grammar since he was struggling... Therefore I continue to stay in Thailand doing as I please.

7 hours ago, ftpjtm said:

The majority of us probably agree with his political opinions. 

BUT! Thailand is not his (or my) country. We're just guests who can't vote. Our opinion is meaningless to Thais, in the same way that a non citizen Thai's opinion of German politics is meaningless to Germans.

No sympathy for him if his visa isn't extended. 

There is a big difference, though. In Germany, as should be the case in any real democracy, even foreigners would be allowed to voice their opinion and conduct peaceful protests that do not involve aggressive means or offensive statements, without being threatened to be thrown out of the country. If Thai officials feel that they have to take such steps, it shows that there might be something wrong here with the right to voice peacefully your opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe Farang said:

Did you read the article you cite? First it is not about somebody doing a peaceful protest, it cites links to an organization or movement that is considered illegal. I do not even agree with it and I think it was totally wrong for the German Government to do so, maybe they wanted to appease this clown Erdogan. However, the article says that it is the very first time and it had never happened before that Germany did something like this. And again, show me reports that foreigners who peacefully and without any offensive or aggressive actions voice their political views, would be deported and blacklisted.

Edited by Dasekel
Typo

4 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

He's not going to last until his next visa extension. He's not some big shot internationally known journalist...

He's had a warning to curb his public protests... that's as far as it will go for now.

However should he be dumb enough to go on the street protest as he said he's going to, and he gets picked out by the police, then he's on a flight home.

Maybe his wife should seriously think about her future without him in the country, unless she also likes sauerkraut?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ftpjtm said:

The majority of us probably agree with his political opinions. 

BUT! Thailand is not his (or my) country. We're just guests who can't vote. Our opinion is meaningless to Thais, in the same way that a non citizen Thai's opinion of German politics is meaningless to Germans.

No sympathy for him if his visa isn't extended. 

That is not completly correct.

In Germany everybody has the total freedom to express their opinion.

No matter what nationality.

Even can become a politician or major.

So if I see an old lady being attacked in the street, I gnome it on the basis it is Thailand and I'm not Thai.

or how about these people formulate foreign policy and that includes my home country. So I'm not allowed to object to thus unless I'm in my home country.

What about Thailand's attitude to political prisoners....just turn a blind eye and pull up my speedos shuffle my things and sip my Chang....I'm alright Jack.... or too timid to act?

1 hour ago, Dasekel said:

Did you read the article you cite? First it is not about somebody doing a peaceful protest, it cites links to an organization or movement that is considered illegal. I do not even agree with it and I think it was totally wrong for the German Government to do so, maybe they wanted to appease this clown Erdogan. However, the article says that it is the very first time and it had never happened before that Germany did something like this. And again, show me reports that foreigners who peacefully and without any offensive or aggressive actions voice their political views, would be deported and blacklisted.

It is illegal for Germany to deport and ban a fellow EU citizen from returning. But still they did it. Old habits die hard as they say

Ok I geddit: we're guests here as so many posters remind us but hey, it may be their country but it's our world.

Many travellers have imparted knowledge to poor countries by way of technology, civil engineering and helped rid countries of dictatorship.

Not saying this guy went about it the right way but to blithely trot out the old "we're only guests" line is to perpetuate the status quo whereby nothing changes.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1