Drunk Japanese man runs amok allegedly refusing to pay over 5000 baht drink bill

snoop1130

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Probably a 50 baht Chang and 4950 baht lady drink

I am willing to bet that yes, a large portion of his bill was him either knowingly or unknowingly agreeing to bar drinks.

The outcome will be pay far bill and go on his way.to 

4 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Could be that the bouncers got a bit rough with him and he thought that he was in danger and tried to escape and run and hide and called his Embassy to help him ?

Yes indeed, how many times have we seen bouncers get out of hand and "rough" customers up?

2 hours ago, JayClay said:

Or, alternatively, surprised by the bill they've managed to accumulate while drinking themselves into such a state that they're prepared to climb a building!

But sober enough to know not to call for the boys in brown to come and "help". 

15 hours ago, Bobtheblob said:

It seems to happen quite a bit, people suprised by the amount they will be ripped off. Welcome to Thailand. 

Read the article.

Gives a different view.

His fourth day at the place.

If I get ripped off I learned the lesson and won't come back.

And due to the manager he was an excessive drinker.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

Hopefully when they get his side of the story it will be sorted out. And if he was coerced or cheated  about paying the bill.  And felt it would still escalate.. Or possibly face criminal charges. Drunk or not.  He still has the right to speak to the Japanese embassy. 
The bill might have been inflated.  He might have ran because he was threatened.  Who knows.  But the story also says  he was drinking there four days.  So obviously there were no other issues up until that point. 
And if you are a local.  Your name in a news story gets either changed or not published.  But if you are a foreigner it’s published for all to see. 

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Read the article.

Gives a different view.

I find it hard to believe the establishment gave him three days of credit....so he must have known the prices!

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The rescue team arrived at the two-storey building at 11.36 P.M. The Japanese man was sitting on the roof of the second floor, looking intoxicated and confused and only asking to speak with the Japanese embassy.

So solly...

19 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

He could well have been overcharged and then threatened with violence and feared for his safety and took defensive measures by hiding from the perpetrators ? 

Exactly,

How does one end up with a 5000 baht bar bill anyway??

5 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Read the article.

Gives a different view.

this could have been an accumulating bill over the 4 days, bars will do that if they know the customer well enough, speculation on my part but would make more sense

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Quite easily and happens frequently .

Buy a girl a drink and then three others come and join you and thats a 1000 Baht for a round of drinks , five drinks and thats 5000 Baht

What kind of idiot does that?

19 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Quite easily and happens frequently .

Buy a girl a drink and then three others come and join you and thats a 1000 Baht for a round of drinks , five drinks and thats 5000 Baht

Rare but been there, done that. Surprising how fast bills can mount when one is in a jolly mood and starts buying these drinks in the wrong places... padded with a bit of 'tax' for good measure.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Rare but been there, done that. Surprising how fast bills can mount when one is in a jolly mood and starts buying these drinks in the wrong places... padded with a bit of 'tax' for good measure.

And its not like they say "This is my friend Lek and can you buy her a 200 Baht drink' . "Lek" would be walking past and stop and chat to the lady you are with and than it would be like "Its still a bit earlier ,I shouldn't have a drink too early , should I have a drink ?"

"Yeah, why not"

*Thanks, that's another ladys dink on the tab *

1 hour ago, 2009 said:

How does one end up with a 5000 baht bar bill anyway??

Last year I had an afternoon session at hooters with my girlfriend and a mate, the bill was 7000 baht. 

I got pretty drunk, my girlfriend got very angry with my mate, yelling at him 'you buy too many lady drinks'. 

It soon adds up. 

My girlfriend was pretty angry, she took a photo of the receipt to show me the next day, I had forgot about it,

On 9/8/2022 at 7:31 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

Where did you read that? From the linked article: He gave no reason to staff, rescue workers, or law enforcement for why he refused to pay

'the Japanese customer drank so much that his bill amounted to over 5,840 baht.' If he drank one whisky at a (steep) 150 baht apiece, he was over the lethal limit after drinking 39 of them?

• Like 1