Sidewalks on Central Pattaya Road are 80% complete, set to be fully finished by end of September, Pattaya officials say

webfact

image.jpeg

PHOTO: บริษัท โสภณ เคเบิ้ล ที.วี.และสื่อสาร พัทยา จำกัด

By Tanakorn Panyadee

Pattaya — Sidewalks on Central Pattaya Road, which were delayed from being fixed due to a labor shortage and restrictions during COVID-19, were 80% complete, according to Pattaya officials.

At the Pattaya City Hall today, September 7th, a meeting chaired by Passakorn Yusomboon, chairman of the Public Works and Utilities Committee, was arranged to discuss the progress of the walkway projects on Central Pattaya Road, following multiple complaints from ordinary pedestrians.

Most pedestrians were peeved at the project because it had been delayed from its original completion date of September 2021, Passakron stated.

This was mainly due to a “labor shortage” caused by COVID-19 and obstructive wires that slowed down the work.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/09/07/sidewalks-on-central-pattaya-road-are-80-complete-set-to-be-fully-finished-by-end-of-september-pattaya-officials-say/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-09-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

The remaining 20% involved dealing with certain venue owners who Passakorn said may have encroached on the walkways, which thereby moved the completion date to the end of September 2022.

I wonder what the odds are for the true date of completion ........................LOL

I can only say thank heavens and about time, as it is an area I walk every weekend. It certainly still had a lot of unfinished parts last weekend. The shops etc that have been impacted for so long must be in the financial doldrums.... 

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

There , fixed.

I've been back in Pattaya now 8 months and that path has not changed in all that time. Will be 80% for the next 2 years also. So much for quality resort

There a few weeks back it is appalling...and still, when it rains, total chaos !!

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

Thai projects are never finished more than 80-90%. No doubt the rest of the allocated funds have gone on a new Merc.

Or, the contractor runs out of money at the 80-90% completing point and claims unforeseen/Force Majeure costs overruns....need another 10-20% of money to complete the project.   The contract is written so weak (intentionally) to not absolutely bind the contractor to the contracted price the government will give the contractor more money to finish the project versus cancelling the contract.

Then some of this money finds its way back to key government officials who approved the initial contract and/or the amended (extra money) contract.....all part of corruption that makes government contracts and working in certain government positions so lucrative.   Construction projects--especially sidewalks, roads, street lights, and landscaping--are great money makers for corrupt contractors/government officials.

45 minutes ago, Rmac442 said:

There a few weeks back it is appalling...and still, when it rains, total chaos !!

I've alwyas wondered if there's any published standards/requirements for this work. 

The blocks are laid on sand which is never consolidated to enure good support for the blocks. In no time the blocks go down in one corner then get rocky and then dislodged aand the problem never fixed.

Love to have 1% of the money spent in the last 35+ years that I'm aware of and the issue still not solved. And 1% of all the billions spent on massive drainage works, giant new pipes laid, work 'completed', but big flood issues still abound 10 minutes after a heavy rain starts. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

Covid seem to be the excuse being used for everything.  Then you got the labor shortage if that was the case there might not had been a outbreak since it was pretty much all the illegal migrants being snuck in 2021.

It was like 1 brick a week was being laid,  then you got poor planning I wonder how many times are they going to Jack hammer the road after it has been paved. 

One thing for sure after 4 years the one side going down from Sukhumvit looks amazing (left)  those wires are under ground.  No matter how negative one look left then right where wires are still handing it does look good a big difference. 

5 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I've alwyas wondered if there's any published standards/requirements for this work. 

The blocks are laid on sand which is never consolidated to enure good support for the blocks. In no time the blocks go down in one corner then get rocky and then dislodged aand the problem never fixed.

Love to have 1% of the money spent in the last 35+ years that I'm aware of and the issue still not solved. And 1% of all the billions spent on massive drainage works, giant new pipes laid, work 'completed', but big flood issues still abound 10 minutes after a heavy rain starts. 

This type of sidewalk, bricks laid on sand, is very, very common in Thailand.  And then within a few years max they will start to become uneven, sink, etc., requiring repair/replacement of the side.  I don't know construction of this nature is due to:

1.  Considered good construction "but" a lower cost than a more sturdy/costly construction like solid concrete

2.  Easier access to water/sewer/electrical lines possibly under the sidewalk takes priority over a more sturdy construction

3.  No desire for the construction to be sturdy/long lasting so new contract money can be spent year after year after year to repair/replace the sidewalk with "new stuffed envelopes" flowing year after year after year.

Ditto to above when it comes to road landscaping where a new road/intersection is built along with some very nice landscaping....and that landscaping seems to be well kept for only around one year and then care-and-feeding of the landscaping seems to vanish....the landscaping then dies or turns into a jungle.   It seems the "construction" contract for that new road/intersection only included landscaping maintenance for one year and unless a new landscaping maintenance contract is awarded that landscaping just dies/turns into jungle.   So, the govt "intentionally"  does not award a new landscaping maintenance contract allowing the landscaping to die/the jungle to return  which drives the need for a new contract which comes with new stuffed envelopes.   The corruption cycle continues.

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

There , fixed.

I've been back in Pattaya now 8 months and that path has not changed in all that time. Will be 80% for the next 2 years also. So much for quality resort

The whole City should be marketed by TAT as an Extreme Sports City.

The City has it all in abundance

White Water Rafting during the Rainy Season down Klang

Jet Boat rides that can take in the sights of Pattaya Tai road

Potholing

Aerial rope swinging from the Electric Cables

Canyoning down the broken paving slabs

Rock climbing along any Sidewalk

I,m sure there are more, but I am a feet on the ground Guy.

• Like 1