What are your greatest concerns living in Thailand over the next years?

KIngsofisaan

41 minutes ago, KIngsofisaan said:

Country changing attitude towards expats for the worse?

Easily Numba One. I do not expect it to change radically but I find I have less tolerance for it as I age. I have a plan B or C at all times. The long term G has a Schengen passport which simplifies matters. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Three main things for me.

1. Pound Baht exchange rate. 

2. Price of air tickets and I go back to the UK every 9 months for a couple days for hospital appointments and check on my property..

3. I still use UK NHS for tablets, so biggest worry they crack down on issuing 9 months of tablets - but my own health issues are covered by UK law tablet wise so unlikely.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Gaccha said:

My greatest fear is the lowering of Thailand's Gini coefficient. Cheap human labour combined with a developed economy, is by far the greatest benefit to living in Thailand. 

Because of  cheap human labour, I have somebody to iron my clothes, somebody to clean my room, service with a smile, daily Michellin food, eating out everyday, great leisure opportunities, and all with simple cash payments; the servants have no expectation of seizing half my assets should they decide I don't make them happy.

I rely on (as do the Thai middle-class and you) the continued immiseration of the lower strata of Thai people and the surrounding countries. 

If Thailand and its neighbours were to become too equal, those smiles would be replaced with computers.  Technology cannot adequately replace the human hand. 

ahh ... the usefulness of the unwashed proletariat ????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I think the ship has already sailed on that one.. 

I think things have slowed down on that.  Especially if prospective arrivals read AN, and take note to how miserable everyone here is ????

More info out there now about the negatives, for some, moving to TH, vs staying home.

If I was looking, and did research, TH wouldn't even be considered now, if 45 & ready to retire.  Especially if I was 65 and considering retiring abroad.   COL has changed dramatically since 2000, where fixed incomes have not kept up, not even close.

It's a whole new world ????

• Like 1

At age 75 and a cholesterol/heart issue the health/insurance concerns are at the top. Plan is for our family (Thai Wife, Stepdaughter and myself) to visit USA for the month of April 2023. Exit with my O-A visa, no return permit ... re-enter Visa Exempt go through the process of getting an "O" Visa for reason of retirement. I will try to show I have made over a decade of monthly transfers of 65K+. Fall back position would be "O" Visa for marriage as I will not cash in 800K invested funds to park in a Thai bank (I do have separate account with 400K+ as funds for my Wife when I croak).

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I think things have slowed down on that.  Especially if prospective arrivals read AN, and take note to how miserable everyone here is ????

More info out there now about the negatives, for some, moving to TH, vs staying home.

If I was looking, and did research, TH wouldn't even be considered now, if 45 & ready to retire.  Especially if I was 65 and considering retiring abroad.   COL has changed dramatically since 2000, where fixed incomes have not kept up, not even close.

It's a whole new world ????

Yes, I think you are right in many ways... I used to think that anyone would be happier here, but now I am not sure... though I can't think of any place I would rather be or that would be better. For me. 

I have been here a long time and first here in 1974... back when people actually did enjoy exploring the exotic culture... I think these days many people are just here for issues of cost and often have no idea of what being in another culture means... 

And if you are going to be heading into the dementia years, often a very slow process, the affect of being in a different culture may not be the best place to be... 

• Like 2