Brit Vets in Thailand

GinBoy2

So living in Thailand I seemed to come across an amazing number of Brits who claimed to be ex military.

Well, I work with a Brit who really was in the military, I forget which branch, and is in receipt of a military pension.

He shared with me this graphic from some newsletter he gets.

Seems to me I must have met every single one of the residents of Thailand, they all frequent TVF, and are all special forces!

Brit Veterans.jpg

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Seems to me I must have met every single one of the residents of Thailand, they all frequent TVF, and are all special forces!

About as special as your claim to have met so many ex-service Brits.

The only "Special" forces I encountered were being measured, with a standard resistance box and a null reading galvanometer. 

4 minutes ago, jesimps said:

I'm ex army, eleven years man and boy. The last village I lived in here had a walt who was supposedly an ex sergeant in the SAS. They're never just troopers are they? In fact one guy I worked with in the UK claimed to have been the youngest sergeant major in the SAS which would've put him at about 15 when he achieved that rank. 

The thing is, this guy in my village knew that I was ex army, but still persisted with his story even though it was obvious from our conversations that he knew beggar-all about the army. He was in his 70s at the time so he'd been ex SAS in his own mind for so many years that he probably thought of it as fact.

I think you're probably right.

Tell the same lie enough times and you'll probably believe it yourself.

The reason i posted this was when my co-worker shared it with me I was surprised how few Brit vets there were in Thailand, compared to the number I seemed to have had encountered.

I guess self delusion is probably more common than I thought!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, roo860 said:

I reckon RCT.

Not RCT, the motto in his signature is 'Arte et Marte' (by skill and by fighting), whereas the RCT Motto is 'Nil sine labore' (Nothing without work).

BTW, the REME's motto 'Arte et Marte' is also used by the Corps of Royal Canadian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (RCEME). ????

15 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

Not RCT, the motto in his signature is 'Arte et Marte' (by skill and by fighting), whereas the RCT Motto is 'Nil sine labore' (Nothing without work).

BTW, the REME's motto 'Arte et Marte' is also used by the Corps of Royal Canadian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (RCEME). ????

If he had been in the MT Platoon the motto would have been "Cede Nullis" - give way to no <deleted>!

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

If he had been in the MT Platoon the motto would have been "Cede Nullis" - give way to no <deleted>!

If he was MT, he would be working as a driving instructor now, thanks to the MT's most popular pre-release course. ???? 

Edited by Bert got kinky

My Dad, third from left, was with 4 RTR in Germany. 

Also Malaya with Signals then Royal Engineers. 

He started as TA, left, then came back as a regular left after about 12 years, having made Corporal. 

We emigrated after he left, but he never stopped talking about the Army, it was his first love. 

1416223343_mypix(15).jpg.dd363857d1d73f05b22d62d5dae2a8ae.jpg

Later, I was caught up in a different scrap. 

20161018192810.jpg.fe1a82a36899214cc3e67c639fc5f1b4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, bluemoon58 said:

Not British military pensions mate. Doesn't matter where you are, you still get the annual pay increase if there is one. The state pension is a completely different kettle of fish! And btw, I'm NOT ex special forces! 

100% correct on the military pensions and also ex Special forces.

Ex RAF of 25 years, boy and man. I have another ex RAF mate somewhere around Udon Thani way. He was not special forces either but bought himself out early, so no RAF pension.

Neither of us are barflies any more. 

1 hour ago, jesimps said:

I'm ex army, eleven years man and boy. The last village I lived in here had a walt who was supposedly an ex sergeant in the SAS. They're never just troopers are they? In fact one guy I worked with in the UK claimed to have been the youngest sergeant major in the SAS which would've put him at about 15 when he achieved that rank. 

The thing is, this guy in my village knew that I was ex army, but still persisted with his story even though it was obvious from our conversations that he knew beggar-all about the army. He was in his 70s at the time so he'd been ex SAS in his own mind for so many years that he probably thought of it as fact.

The very few SAS guys that I have met while serving, never mentioned that they were ex SAS. At he first sign of a bar fight they would pay their bill and quietly leave.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

He started as TA, left, then came back as a regular left after about 12 years, having made Corporal. 

We emigrated after he left, but he never stopped talking about the Army, it was his first love. 

Thats some cool pics.

Where were you?

2 hours ago, chalawaan said:

I was a Sapper!

Second from the left, 1972, Belfast.

20211105_175328.jpg

Edited by roo860

Im a veteran-officer too

Served in Iraq (thanks to american lies about iraq has nuklear power but actually all USA wants was its oil) and then Afghanistan (9/11). I was not in usa army if that matters. 

I was in the army since i was 14.. military school then academy abd so on. When i was graduated as 1st LT i found myself in Iraq. 

I also just recently send my documents and info to ukrainian embassy in bangkok to join the foreign legion. But the guy told me my age may be a problem, 43.

Anyway

I just want to give/share few things about these fake idiots &a holes. So you can understand them in 5 min:

If they claim that they are SEAL just ask them their Bud/s number. Most of them will say its secret or likewise. Thats the first bull sh it. Even for seals buds class training number is not a secret/classified information. If they cannot say it, just tell them they are lier. Thats it. If they say a number.. bare this in mind so you can do a conclusion BUDs 133 was fought in vietnam.. now in Iraq it was 155 or 156. Then ask them some of his mates in bud training.. another thing is most of these fake toy soldiers say they are snipers... another thing is when they tell their 'great war stories' they always use 'I' a real soldier always use 'we' because we know what TEAM means. 

Just tell them they are a toy soldier plus an idiot. Disrespectful to real soldiers abd also to fallen heros. This doesnt mean only for USA but fir all countries...

Please be sensitive to this topic and matter... respect to real people. You like or not...

Thank you

• Like 2

19 hours ago, bluemoon58 said:

Not British military pensions mate. Doesn't matter where you are, you still get the annual pay increase if there is one. The state pension is a completely different kettle of fish! And btw, I'm NOT ex special forces! 

Nor was I ever on the balcony or anywhere near it! I did watch it on telly though! ????

• Haha 1