Vegetable prices soaring due to shortage

snoop1130

546181-696x392.jpeg

PHOTO: Naewna

Vegetable prices are soaring due to product shortages and will possibly increase again during this year’s vegetarian festival in October.

Local reporters reported on Tuesday, September 20th, that the price of all vegetables sold in Trang’s Ta Klang Market has risen by 10 baht per kilogram or even higher on vegetables that are currently in demand. According to local vendors, the price is expected to continuously increase daily.

Vendor Jeab told the reporters that during this year’s vegetarian festival, all vegetables are becoming more expensive, especially coriander, celeries, spring onions, cucumbers, beans, and other kinds of leafy vegetables, because there is not enough to meet the market demand due to the weather conditions in many areas across the country.

Full Story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/09/20/vegetable-prices-soaring-due-to-shortage-expected-to-gradually-increase-during-vegetarian-festival-in-october/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-09-20

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, connda said:

The vegetable inflation is a urban phenomenon.  Local vegetable are plentiful and the prices in rural Thailand don't budge.  You neighbor selling at the local market isn't gong to jack the prices of veggies you yourself can grow.  If the prices move locally, we'll just extend our garden.

Not true at all.  I only shop for fruit and veggies at my talat sot.  Prices have gone up on a number of items.  Potatoes are up, tomatoes are up, cabbage and lettuce are up. But I dont buy into the BS in this and other propaganda articles.  Price increases in both meat, fruit and veggies here are not due to shortages, but rather, the now quintessential monopolization of supply and distribution by a few families.  In the past there was a certain chap that would step in and say "enough fellas", but now there is no one who does this

• Like 1

we used to buy a couple of kilos of oranges every week but over the last month the price has steadily risen from 80 baht a kilo to 160 baht a kilo... so no more oranges! Other items have gone up in our local market but as others have posted here i don't buy into the 'inflationary pressures' BS... it is simply sellers using it as an excuse to jack prices up and cash in.

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Complete BS... shortage what bl##dy shortage.

My local market has hundreds of vegetable vendors.. all stocked to the brim as normal.

Sheer greed is all it is.

As sure as the Sun will rise tomorrow, just before the Chinese Vegetable Festival all the prices rise because of a " shortage "

• Like 2

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

when you cut the onion it is bad inside and you have to throw 1/4 of it in the bin

With respect, not where I lived in rural Lanna and Isaan. Maybe the unfortunate situation when purchased from supermarkets/shops in cities, but always fresh from my village market stalls. Some villagers even had a table by their front entrances offering home grown "surplus" for sale.

• Like 2

Not only vegetables in short supply , maybe due to floods too much rain, 

but Milk , was at Makro yesterday they had no full fat milk of any brand,

so went this morning to Tops , no Meji ,Chokchai , that's the 2 litre size,

got the last 2 bottles of Dutch milk, plus Foremost no longer in the retail

milk business

You would think with all this rain the grass would be lush and the cows

over producing , so where's the milk.

regards Worgeordie

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

So one vendor spreads this news so everyone else can follow the lead to stick it to us, well you could have fooled me, all my friends in abroad are complaining, but here in the sticks where we are, we are still unscathed IMO.

It's definitely up in price in open markets in Sakon Nakhon.

The worst part, except for the actual City of Sakon Nakhon, there's a dearth of choice and quality is pretty bad.

Part of the problem is the higher transportation costs.  

I miss a good salad! 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

no full fat milk of any brand

Very interesting and thanks. With apologies for replying from Cambodia (for which I get criticized), but this is in complete reverse here. It is the low fat and skimmed milk that is disappearing from my local supermarket shelves to be replaced with full cream milk - stacks of it from Australia (Cowshead), New Zealand (Anchor), France (Elle & Vire) and Denmark (Emborg), to name a few. Being a diabetic, full fat milk is not recommended.

Edited by Burma Bill
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Price increases in both meat, fruit and veggies here are not due to shortages, but rather, the now quintessential monopolization of supply and distribution by a few families.

So they are due to shortages, but the shortage are created artificially, ie, via the monopolization of supply and distribution. 

• Like 1

I personally haven't noticed any shortages, anywhere.  Makro or local fresh market, compared to pre covid, or any time earlier.

Everything & anything I want is available.  Aside from inflation, season price fluctuations, and an occasionally price gouge on fake headliners, then they at are back to normal.  That just the same marketing I've seen over the 20+ years here, and everywhere.

Where's all these shortages ?  I'm not even near a metro area, and everything is still available here.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, phetpeter said:

What a load of rubbish, vegs are everywhere, because we use a bum gun in Thailand, they can't use the loo paper excuse, I can assure you the rain come, the sun shines and the crops grew and are growing. if fact Makro, is having to reduce prices because they have so much.

A bit of a lark of whimsical nonsense. Most take purchases from real local/community markets.....in which prices rarely fluctuate and supplies are never short. 

Beyond that, a healthy percentage grow their own.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Potatoes 35 baht a kilo, carrots 25, cabbage 25, onion 35, tomatoes 45, they've been up and down 5 baht the last few months at Ratanakorn market, tomatoes more variable not sure why

where can I buy some rotten tomatoes to throw at some restaurant windows where I got a sh_t meal ?

5 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Not only vegetables in short supply , maybe due to floods too much rain, 

but Milk , was at Makro yesterday they had no full fat milk of any brand,

so went this morning to Tops , no Meji ,Chokchai , that's the 2 litre size,

got the last 2 bottles of Dutch milk, plus Foremost no longer in the retail

milk business

You would think with all this rain the grass would be lush and the cows

over producing , so where's the milk.

regards Worgeordie

Someone who does not know the Thai dairy industry,shotage of milk is due to  Makro's the distribution chain ,all my local 7-11's,Mini Big C etc, always have a supply of milk ,no shortages.

In my area,in fact, F and N a milk buying/bottling company have just built a new factory near me,looking at the future 

Farmers are complaining they milk price is not going up ,but if it did milk price in 7-11 etc would go up and they  sales would drop ,like it did 10 years ago ,farmers are getting about 18.50 baht/kg/milk,price can go up and down depending on the milk quality.

As for cows eating lush grass this time of year,  a myth ,maybe a few ,but most are in the sheds all the time eating rice straw ,brought in and this time of year it is expensive ,one bale is about 45-50 baht,in 3 months time after rice harvest down to 25-30baht/bale,and this time of the year with all the rain cows have most of their health problems.

22 hours ago, steven100 said:

Potatoes and onion prices have increased,  and when you cut the onion it is bad inside and you have to throw 1/4 of it in the bin.  

My Mrs says pretty much all vegetables are more, particularly ones i like as in broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower.... and keeps buying stuff that looks like it was dredged!

• Thanks 1