Retirement visa/extension, the small print

I have just arrived back from Vientiane and entered on a visa on arrival but was only given 30 days...

For the first time ever, I was taken aside into the office with two immigration officers and they checked through my extensive visa history, but finally let me in but not before the Udon Thani bus had departed.

I have a Bangkok Bank account and would like to know what the requirements for the 800k extension are.

Are there any conditions about how the money is transferred, except it comes from my home country? I was planning to use (travel)wise.com over a few payments, but would that make more difficult for me?

What is the procedure to get the bank letter to satisfy both a non-O visa in Laos and a 1 year extension?

Would appreciate any help on the best non-agent way of getting a one year visa retirement extension.

I read that some offices won't extend a visa on arrival, so any recent info on that would also really help.

OP, where are you planning to apply for the non O retirement.

Be aware that you need to have 15 days remaining on your stamp.

21 days at some office such as CM.

You can obtain 30 extension if more time is required. 

Bangkok Bank is one of the banks that WISE can transfer large sums so no problem there. 

• Like 1

Thank you for the replies.

I have the Bangkok Bank passbook, with some previous FTT entries, but some of the printing is not lined up very well, but still clear enough. Not sure where I heard about needing a bank confirmation letter, but that is why I'm asking.

I opened my bank account, before a residence certificate was required, so could that be an issue? Am going to get a residence certificate.

I currently live with my long term partner and the condo rental agreement is in her name with a private landlord in which the payments are simply bank transfers from her bank a/c.

Under those circumstances, is it still possible to meet the extension address requirements?

All new to me, but feels like that in less friendly office, it would be used to deny the extension.

Advice on how best to proceed is appreciated.

5 minutes ago, L0St said:

Forgot to add that I am living in Pattaya and have heard issues with trying to extend with a visa on arrival, but not sure how valid they are.

Read ubonjoe post above.

You did not receive "visa on arrival"

You entered visa exempt and given 30 day stamp.

You can apply at immigration office for 30 day extension.

Cost 1900baht. 

No problem. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, L0St said:

Forgot to add that I am living in Pattaya and have heard issues with trying to extend with a visa on arrival, but not sure how valid they are.

As long as you have all your ducks in a row, no issues whatsoever, over 10 years dealing with Immigration Jom Tien and never hjad a problem.   Just ensure you have all the required paperwork, you can visit and they will give you a list of what you need, you can fill it out next door (there ar a lot of younger guys/gals for a few baht happy to do it for you while You drink coffee............Dpon't know what they are charghing these days, but for me, it was always worth it.   Visa day was always a fun day for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Read ubonjoe post above.

You did not receive "visa on arrival"

You entered visa exempt and given 30 day stamp.

You can apply at immigration office for 30 day extension.

Cost 1900baht. 

No problem. 

Sorry yes it was a visa exempt 30 day stamp.

I have just re-entered so was hoping to be able to do an 1 year retirement extension, but need to sort out the address requirements.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

As long as you have all your ducks in a row, no issues whatsoever, over 10 years dealing with Immigration Jom Tien and never hjad a problem.

Ok sounds good. WIll ring up and ask them about the rental agreement and payments being in my long term partner's name. But if anyone has any experience it would be a bonus.

14 minutes ago, L0St said:

Ok sounds good. WIll ring up and ask them about the rental agreement and payments being in my long term partner's name. But if anyone has any experience it would be a bonus.

They will accept a rental agreement in you partners name. They need to write a short statement that you are living with them with a signed copy to their ID card attached.

The will probably want a TM30 report be done by your partner as the possessor of  the residence being reported.

6 minutes ago, L0St said:

Or probably better still go and get a residence certificate at Jomtien and whilst I'm there ask about the extension rental address requirements when it is currently all in my partner's name.

A residence certificate will not be needed and would require the same supporting documents as the visa/extension.

Here's what the oh-so-polite woman at Jomtien gave me. When I asked for some clarification, she hissed, "Can you read English?"

After I supplied all, they then also demanded the landlords (farang) work permit.

They also required the official residence certificate (issued at Jomtien immi). THAT required a letter from the juristic office at the condo. When I asked for that at the condo, they said, "Cannot", then 15 seconds later said they could for only 200 THB

O Visa requirements.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, L0St said:

Or probably better still go and get a residence certificate at Jomtien and whilst I'm there ask about the extension rental address requirements when it is currently all in my partner's name.

Thanks again.

In your situation I would use an agent, only 13k in Pattaya.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, spambot said:

Really 13K? 

I have used 800K method for 9 years, since agents in Bangkok quoted 25K.

Just doing the maths: The cost of an agent would be 1.625% for the use of 800K.

If compare this with other use of funds:  While you can only get from Thai banks on deposit 0.25% - 0.5%, but Gov 2yr gilts in my case UK is paying around 4.4%.

By paying 1.625% to an agent and getting 4.4% for better yield the net gain is 2.8% (and someone else does the work).

Boring opportunity cost analysis.

Done often to demonstrate what?

Folk using money in bank method leaving 800k at minimal % rate are well aware of what that can earn in  super  account or other investment..

BTW very simplistic analysis. 

Choose to use an agent or meet the financial requirements...

Up to you. 

Advice not required. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

I'm open to PM of reliable Pattaya agents who can do a Non-O annual extension based on retirement, from a 30 day visa exempt for 13k.

Even if I were to use an agent, I'd still prefer to understand the official requirements, which are far from obvious for a first time applicant.

On another recent thread, someone asked what the deposit certificate meant in the official requirements, but it went unanswered.

"Present passbook and deposit certificate from banks in Thailand."

In the official requirements, I cannot find the clause which states the funds need to be in the account for two month before the application.

Sure, I've heard about two months rule but would like to know what exactly it applies to.

Could anyone just say what is really required?

Thanks

10 hours ago, Peabody said:

Here's what the oh-so-polite woman at Jomtien gave me. When I asked for some clarification, she hissed, "Can you read English?"

After I supplied all, they then also demanded the landlords (farang) work permit.

They also required the official residence certificate (issued at Jomtien immi). THAT required a letter from the juristic office at the condo. When I asked for that at the condo, they said, "Cannot", then 15 seconds later said they could for only 200 THB

O Visa requirements.jpg

Much appreciated. This is more like what I was expecting from Jomtien, which is why I asked specifically about the address requirement.

I will try and find out when I go for the residence certificate, whether it is possible if the contract is in my thai partner's name.

However, I am expecting that in my upcoming contract renewal, I will have to change it into my own name and have all the landlord's required documents etc as part of signing the new contract or find somewhere new to live.

Are all these landlord household documents required when using an agent, or is it designed to make using agents a lot more appealing?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, L0St said:

I'm open to PM of reliable Pattaya agents who can do a Non-O annual extension based on retirement, from a 30 day visa exempt for 13k.

Even if I were to use an agent, I'd still prefer to understand the official requirements, which are far from obvious for a first time applicant.

On another recent thread, someone asked what the deposit certificate meant in the official requirements, but it went unanswered.

"Present passbook and deposit certificate from banks in Thailand."

In the official requirements, I cannot find the clause which states the funds need to be in the account for two month before the application.

Sure, I've heard about two months rule but would like to know what exactly it applies to.

Could anyone just say what is really required?

Thanks

I would recommend Maneerat on Soi 13/2 (Soi Post Office, they are directly across the Soi from the Post Office). 

Note that as you are currently on "Visa Exempt" you will first need to convert this to a Non-Imm O Visa (Single Entry, 3 months) & then get the 12 month extension, the price for doing both of these (& includes your 90 day reports) is around 25K NOT the 13/15K quoted, for this you will be given a total of 15 months permission to stay.

Normal cost of a 12 month extension via Maneerat is 8K if you have the 800K in the bank or 12K if you need assistance with the finances. 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

I would recommend Maneerat on Soi 13/2 (Soi Post Office, they are directly across the Soi from the Post Office). 

Note that as you are currently on "Visa Exempt" you will first need to convert this to a Non-Imm O Visa (Single Entry, 3 months) & then get the 12 month extension, the price for doing both of these (& includes your 90 day reports) is around 25K NOT the 13/15K quoted, for this you will be given a total of 15 months permission to stay.

Normal cost of a 12 month extension via Maneerat is 8K if you have the 800K in the bank or 12K if you need assistance with the finances. 

Really good information Mike.

The breakdown given is useful in determining the costs for different levels of service:

• 25K for conversion VE to O visa, apply for extension and 90 day reports.
  • 13/15K make the O conversion by self, but then agent gets the extension
  • 8K same as above but using own 800K funds.

I sense that some on this forum have strong beliefs about using agents and wish to impose these beliefs on others, even trying to ridiculing helpful information. Thank you for your data, adults can now make a better informed decision.

• Like 1

@spambot  -  it has been pointed out numerous times that there are 2 types of agents: 

(1) The agent who helps get your paperwork together and holds your hand during the visit to Immo;  and

(2) The agent that helps someone get around the financial requirements of, say, a retirement extension.

It is the 2nd variety of agent that most people on the TV Forum object to. 

That is because paying a bribe to avoid the Immo financial requirements is breaking Thai law, and also makes it more difficult for those trying to do the process legally. 

Also, it is dangerous for the ex-pat since, once you go the agent route, you are stuck with it.  If the agent is busted, then so are you.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

It demonstrates that some people are willing to break the law to make minor gains. This situation reveals the open sewer Pattaya is. 

No opinion on agents either way, but why highlight Pattaya as a sewer, agent use is done all over Thailand

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TaoNow said:

Also, it is dangerous for the ex-pat since, once you go the agent route, you are stuck with it.  If the agent is busted, then so are you.

You're not stuck using an agent. I used an agent for a couple of years then switched back to doing it myself. 

• Like 1

in Phuket, if u have the cash in the bank, most agents seem to charge 10,000 to do the work for ya
no money its up to 16,000

pop over to Cambodia, get the Business visa on arrival ( $35 )
and open a 1 year account , interest, depending, on bank is 6-7%
pays for the agent

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

in Phuket, if u have the cash in the bank, most agents seem to charge 10,000 to do the work for ya

pays for the agent

I am in Phuket zzzzz, Patong actually, and if you have the name of an agent who would charge 10,000 baht, then perhaps you would be kind enough to send it me via a PM?

If not then no big problems, however a 5000 baht saving would go a little way towards my next wine purchase!!!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

pays for the agent

Quick follow-up to my post zzzzz, as I have managed to locate a few Visa agents via Google, so your expertise/advice/info may not be needed – – but if you were considering sending it to me, thank you all the same.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

Slightly off topic, so mods can feel free to post this elsewhere, but as regards the use of an agent, for the first time in my 15/16 years here I'm going to use one.

I have the 800K in the bank and indeed it has been there untouched for a number of years, but I just don't want the hassle of dealing with the immigration people as I've had three instances where everything was in order, but they made life difficult for me.

So I will take all of my bank statements, passport and necessary docs along to an agent and pay 15,000 baht and they can do it all for me – – it means I will be hassle free, have saved myself two roundtrips to the immigration office and not have a couple of sleepless nights, and for me it's worth 15,000 baht.

Definitely understand why you would use an agent after the experiences you've had - sometimes life is just too short.

And yet, there does seem to be a link between the increasing use of agents even when everything is in order, and the hassle the immigration people give to people who do not use agents.

As TaoNow says above (paraphrasing a bit) - the use of agents makes it more difficult for those trying to do the process legally.

I don't know the solution for this, and can understand why some would now opt for an agent despite having everything in order. After years of doing the process legally and having no issues, in recent times I've experienced that hassle more than once now. Almost like I was being invited to offer something to smooth a process that used to be quite smooth in the past with no agent or VIP service fee needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, 

Peterw42xylophonezzzzzMistyMike TeaveejimnPeachCH 

for the really good information about how using agents would be helpful to readers.

Adults can now make a better informed decision.

Those with strong opposing beliefs clearly are entitled to expression, but is not as welcomed when it becomes disrespectful or personal..