Indian national files complaint to Pattaya Police after 6,600 USD in cash allegedly went missing from a hotel’s safe box in Pattaya

webfact

image.jpeg

By Nop Meechukhun

Banglamung, Chonburi – An Indian national, 45, filed a complaint to Pattaya City police on Saturday, October 8th, after US$6,600 cash, or about 250,000 Thai baht, was reportedly missing from his hotel’s electronic safe box.

The victim, Vivek Singhal, told Pattaya officials that he was staying at the room of a hotel since October 5th but on the 7th, he found that his money in the safe box, worth US$6,600 or equivalent to about 250,000 Thai baht, was gone.

The safe box was in a standard in-room device and not at a front desk or other location.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/10/09/indian-national-files-complaint-to-pattaya-police-after-6600-usd-in-cash-allegedly-went-missing-from-a-hotels-safe-box-in-pattaya/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-10-10

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, theshu25 said:

Another insauranc e  scam from the indians for sure.

I've also had money taken from my hotel safe, in Malaysia. A couple of $100 bills were removed, leaving a couple of smaller notes in the hope, I imagine, that I wouldn't notice money was missing. The police refused to investigate, saying no local would steal such large bills as they'd arouse suspicion.

• Like 2

Why would a tourist need 250,000 baht to spend in Pattaya the article didn't say, could he be a business man? don't think so, some sort of a scam? probably, as some travel insurance policies cover lost cash as well...

• Thanks 1

Those in route safes are worthless you can pop out a piece of plastic on the front and they all have a master keye Or there is a code you can answer to override and open the safe I never use them and to keep large sums of money and those type of safes are very risky at best TIT

• Like 1

Unfortunately for those keyboard warriors, majority of visitors to pattaya these days appear to be indians!

Most of those punters who allege xenophobia here, continue to do the same against Russians, Indians, Chinese, or anybody else who does not belong to the clan! 

Isnt it legit to possess upto to $10,000 for international travel for most countries. We see regular allegations of insurance scams being the intent behind the claim of losses. Have we heard of any claims being paid out for these claims in Pattaya?

Several years back, i forgot my wallet in the business center of a major hotel chain, realized the mistake rushed back in less than 5 min (biz center to room on elevator and realized i forgot the wallet downstairs) and found it was gone. Hotel did a sham of investigation and 'couldn't' find it, as that area of the biz centre was not covered by cctv.... and of course ins claim was denied.

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

The standard “ hotel room “ safes are notoriously easy to open with a sharp blow from a heavy object, plenty of YouTube video on the subject.

Fortunately these 999 Baht types are not standard in "half decent" hotels.

But yes there are master keys/override pins etc.

It all comes down to the trustworthyness if the hotel.

Never lost a Baht in 18 years. And not storing more cash than needed for a day. K Bank card always with me.

The real concern is the passport.

Sometimes I miss the old fashioned locker boxes at reception where you can bring your own locker.

And overall the story is fishy regarding the "visitors".

• Like 1

Just now, gearbox said:

I don't think any travel insurance covers cash theft, otherwise many people would be claiming arbitrary amounts.

My thought too and my guess is he opened the safe for a "cash donation" to his guest and then been distracted.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

It was simply a matter of removing a small metal label to expose a pass key slot!.

Sure because batteries can run empty.

And needing a physical key is still better than every parking assistant knowing some master pin.

At good hotels only specially trusted staff have access or know how to open.

Sometimes can mean wait for the person.

For early checkout I open the safe before going to sleep.

Edited by KhunBENQ

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

Why would a tourist need 250,000 baht to spend in Pattaya the article didn't say, could he be a business man? don't think so, some sort of a scam? probably, as some travel insurance policies cover lost cash as well...

There's usually a limit on cash, and it's normally pretty low.

29 minutes ago, gearbox said:

I don't think any travel insurance covers cash theft, otherwise many people would be claiming arbitrary amounts.

Maybe he's under the illusion the hotel will reimburse him, either that or start a Gofundme post.

• Like 1