Handsfree only: New penalties for using a mobile phone while driving in Thailand

webfact

I had to laugh the other day ( not initially) when a ‘ farang ‘ on a moped .. no helmet , and on the phone texting with one hand . Ran into a Dog … luckily the dog after a yelp .. seemed ok and managed to run off .. the man though luckily for him never landed on he’s head . But a nasty graze on he’s arm and and leg , looked very painful and he was in major pain .. “ that’s what you get when your on your F*** phone ! “ … he looked up and said “ a F**** dog ran out in front of me !!! “ … ????

6 hours ago, edogthong said:

Texting while driving is an integral part of Thai culture at this point. It's good that they're finally addressing the issue but I don't think this measure will have a big effect. I really wish they would do something about all the motorbike drivers who drive around at night with no lights. I've never even seen it mentioned yet it's the one issue that's put me in danger the most times. It's always just about helmets which only endanger your own life.

You don't need lights to see your phone at night. It has a backlit screen.....????

10 hours ago, Snig27 said:

I guess this will go into the same "it's the law but we won't enforce it until sometime in the future after people get used to it" box as the other recent tougher traffic laws. Meanwhile two cops sat and watched while I was almost run down by a driver not stopping on a crossing a few days back. 

Reminds of when helmets became compulsory for mo-cy riders, but not in Chiang Mai.

Public bus and minibus drivers should be targeted first, as in my experience as a passenger, they are the biggest offenders posing a huge risk to their passengers. Hopefully photos and videos taken by passengers of offending drivers will be accepted as evidence.

Edited by SunsetT

6 hours ago, jvs said:

It is the same all over the world,drivers can not resist to answer the phone or have a quick look while driving.

It is very dangerous no matter where you are.

It is jumped on by most governments as a good money maker.

Is there a quick fix?

Sure there is,just have a jammer installed in all (new) cars.

Job done.

You mean stop Google Maps from working, or a radio station.

12 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

I thought the phone use while driving was already in effect a few months ago remember reading about it oh I guess for a few days or make news after that nobody will care TIT

I see RTP using their phones while riding motorbikes one handed every day and other motorbike riders. Food delivery riders , Motorbike taxis riders. Nothing will change.

What are people going to do now if they are not allowed to play with the phone . Well they weren't suppose to anyway its been a law for a long time. 

Are they going to watch were they are driving/riding and adhere to the traffic rules? 

I doubt it very much.

44 minutes ago, kwilco said:

What will happen soon is a major review of how the RTP police traffic - it's been in the wings for some time but of course it's resisted by the RTP and the Army who don't want to see any more power given to the police

‘Major review… Soon’ ??? …When ?….   You state your blind guess as fact.

‘Been in the wings for some time’ ??  Make stuff up much ?
’resisted by RTP  & army who don’t want police to have power’…. Erm….   Huh ??? ????

On 10/15/2022 at 1:17 AM, Moti24 said:

There should be penalties for pedestrians, and those who are glued to their phones in shopping malls; I'm fed-up with having to walk around them!

Why walk around them? Stand still abd brace yourself or the impact, which in my experiece usually does not come. We seem to have an innate radar system that makes us stop short in front of sn immobile obstacle.

Depending on the person on a collision course with you and on your inclination, be ready to embrace that person to prevent it from falling if its radar shoul fail. 

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

‘Major review… Soon’ ??? …When ?….   You state your blind guess as fact.

‘Been in the wings for some time’ ??  Make stuff up much ?
’resisted by RTP  & army who don’t want police to have power’…. Erm….   Huh ??? ????

not a blind guess - you are just making assumptions because you don't know.

come back after the election

On 10/15/2022 at 5:33 AM, smedly said:

they generally are only a risk to themselves, using a mobile device is entirely different and is recognized across the world as one of the top causes of road collisions which is why it is being addressed with severe penalties

And if they are dumb enough to be using a mobile while driving into a checkpoint they shouldnt be on the road as there is no other way they would be caught by the stationary police.