Variety spice of life

Sparktrader

25 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Pattaya, Phuket, Udon full of bar dwellers.

Full, no. Having lived in PTY for many years, I know a lot more than you just prowling around LK Metro, Buakhao, and WS.

Selective, narrow vision, as I noted. Why not do a poll here? See how many of our members are drunks sitting at a bar all day.

Edited by BigStar
  • Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

You go take some new ones

I don't live in Australia, and I took some new ones here yesterday, shared with friends.???? But, as you're the OP touting his variety, let's see some from you that isn't just a trivial variation on the same thing. So I take it that Oz restos DO serve more than just burgers, but you don't eat the other dishes?

Edited by BigStar

30 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Full, no. Having lived in PTY for many years, I know a lot more than you just prowling around LK Metro, Buakhao, and WS.

Selective, narrow vision, as I noted. Why not do a poll here? See how many of our members are drunks sitting at a bar all day.

Thailand has 2m expats i think. The regulars on here are like 30.

30 minutes ago, BigStar said:

I don't live in Australia, and I took some new ones here yesterday, shared with friends.???? But, as you're the OP touting his variety, let's see some from you that isn't just a trivial variation on the same thing. So I take it that Oz restos DO serve more than just burgers, but you don't eat the other dishes?

There you go

20221007_164359.jpg

20221007_164355.jpg

20221007_173524.jpg

People eating same foods every week

I have been told by many friends that their fathers would eat just about the same meal every evening for most of their lives, because they liked it.

Others allocate meals to particular days of the week and do it for most of their lives.

When I was a boy, we had no choice about what we ate, if it was cheap and available, then we ate it, even if we had to eat it day after day.

I drink red wine every day and have done for most of my life, and I'm not about to change now.

19 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Thailand has 2m expats i think. The regulars on here are like 30.

You dunno. Point is, despite all your noise about "variety," if you only walk around bar areas in a tourist town--as you do because the only women available to you work there--then you're going to see DUH! guys drinking in bars, most of them tourists. From that "evidence" you convince yourself that all the expats in the city sit drinking in bars all day.???? Brilliant. Reminds me of that Thai proverb, which you of course know, about a frog under a coconut shell: กบในกะลาครอบ. 

As I've noted elsewhere, Pattaya's a very large, diverse area ranging from small Thai subdistricts to the condo riviera to the quiet suburbs. That's why it has such broad appeal. Most expats, who may not even live here year-round, are conventional middle-class types who've earned the means to live here comfortably with Thai wives, gfs, and families. Besides, the classic monger area in the concentrated CBD that you're aware of has been shrinking dramatically over the last decade. So, enough with the clueless nonsense.

Since you're obsessed with your boredom, constantly mentioning it, and busily project it on others, why don't you just see a shrink to help you get to the root of your problem and help you find some meaningful interests in life? Oz socialized medicine pay for it? Also, maybe learn some skills to raise your income level, so you're not just stuck at home all the time, unable to experience the variety right there in your own country?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

55 minutes ago, BigStar said:

You dunno. Point is, despite all your noise about "variety," if you only walk around bar areas in a tourist town--as you do because the only women available to you work there--then you're going to see DUH! guys drinking in bars, most of them tourists. From that "evidence" you convince yourself that all the expats in the city sit drinking in bars all day.???? Brilliant. Reminds me of that Thai proverb, which you of course know, about a frog under a coconut shell: กบในกะลาครอบ. 

As I've noted elsewhere, Pattaya's a very large, diverse area ranging from small Thai subdistricts to the condo riviera to the quiet suburbs. That's why it has such broad appeal. Most expats, who may not even live here year-round, are conventional middle-class types who've earned the means to live here comfortably with Thai wives, gfs, and families. Besides, the classic monger area in the concentrated CBD that you're aware of has been shrinking dramatically over the last decade. So, enough with the clueless nonsense.

Since you're obsessed with your boredom, constantly mentioning it, and busily project it on others, why don't you just see a shrink to help you get to the root of your problem and help you find some meaningful interests in life? Oz socialized medicine pay for it? Also, maybe learn some skills to raise your income level, so you're not just stuck at home all the time, unable to experience the variety right there in your own country?

Thanks for the nice but inaccurate comments. Havent been to Pattaya in 16 years but it sounds like you like it. Not my cup of tea. I will leave those bargirls for you. It sounds like you need them.

Anyone good luck.

Yes. Terrible. 

On the factory floor. 

Humans doing the same thing, over and over. 

And even when one is not on the factory production line, then one might be in the fields, picking tomatoes.... 

Or, picking cotton. 

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Like 1

On 10/19/2022 at 1:02 PM, Sparktrader said:

Thanks for the nice but inaccurate comments. Havent been to Pattaya in 16 years but it sounds like you like it. Not my cup of tea. I will leave those bargirls for you. It sounds like you need them.

Anyone good luck.

I don't ever encourage the bar girls because....

I don't like to see girls doing the SAME THING, over and over, every day.

On 10/18/2022 at 5:24 PM, xylophone said:

I have been told by many friends that their fathers would eat just about the same meal every evening for most of their lives, because they liked it.

Others allocate meals to particular days of the week and do it for most of their lives.

When I was a boy, we had no choice about what we ate, if it was cheap and available, then we ate it, even if we had to eat it day after day.

I drink red wine every day and have done for most of my life, and I'm not about to change now.

Interesting. 

What red wine? 

Gallo red, by the gallon jug? 

On 10/18/2022 at 4:18 PM, BigStar said:

What percentage would you guesstimate? 

50 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Interesting. 

What red wine? 

Gallo red, by the gallon jug? 

In times gone by these were my favourite wines, along with Chateauneuf du Papes, now I am drinking the Italian Appasimento and the 19 Crimes as my every day drinkers.............but still look out for wine promotions and do try others. No doubt you can stick with the Gallo wines as they would suit your style.

image.png.133e57ec2530e72a83ad3e26dee9dfcc.png

image.png.73239b2d3195e77851fa545f1a808b47.png

image.png.9569323193a36d992291fc25c618468c.png

image.png.ae086b59481da5f21599a347c1e33148.png

On 10/18/2022 at 11:24 PM, xylophone said:

I could eat the same big breakfast every day, because I like them. Yum.

However, I do like to vary supper between a few regular options.

On 10/18/2022 at 9:54 PM, Sparktrader said:

Pattaya, Phuket, Udon full of bar dwellers.

and if they enjoy doing so, why not? Beats watching day time tv a million %.

BTW, just sitting in a bar in LOS doesn't mean one has to get drunk. Can talk to mates met in a bar, eat meals, watch sports on tv, listen to some band failing to sing in English, play games with bar girls, read the newspaper, watch the passing parade on the street, and if very, very lucky, meet the best female you'll ever know in your entire life.

What's not to like?

On 10/18/2022 at 3:53 AM, frantick said:

Some people spend their whole lives searching for the next big high, and are never content; others find highs in the rudimentary changes of the mundane, and are always content. 

I used to travel the world and was always looking for the next better place.

Now I look at sunsets from my door.

Adapt to circumstances or buy a charcoal kabuki I say.

• Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, xylophone said:

In times gone by these were my favourite wines, along with Chateauneuf du Papes, now I am drinking the Italian Appasimento and the 19 Crimes as my every day drinkers.............but still look out for wine promotions and do try others. No doubt you can stick with the Gallo wines as they would suit your style.

image.png.133e57ec2530e72a83ad3e26dee9dfcc.png

image.png.73239b2d3195e77851fa545f1a808b47.png

image.png.9569323193a36d992291fc25c618468c.png

image.png.ae086b59481da5f21599a347c1e33148.png

Chateau cardboard is the Oz old age pensioners choice, ????

• Haha 1

On 10/17/2022 at 10:01 AM, bendejo said:

Two big mugs of very good coffee every morning, each mug takes an hour to consume.  If it took three hours no matter.  A life of luxury from my point of view.

Maybe the coffee is very good when you put it in those mugs. But when is it cold? In maybe max 20min? And then you continue to drink cold coffee for 40min? Really? 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Yep but could never take to it (and I am not an Aussie!), and the Montclair fruit wine stuff here is grim IMO.

Off topic maybe but I went to school with one of the Brown Brothers. My dad used buy a flagon from them at Milawa once a week before they became so well known. 1950 ish.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2022 at 5:24 PM, xylophone said:

Back in the UK when I were a lad.

When beef was cheap we ate beef, when lamb was cheap we ate lamb, when pork or chicken were cheap .........

I like all meat equally, seems sensible to eat which ever is the best price, in Thailand I eat mainly pork and chicken. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Olmate said:

Chateau cardboard is the Oz old age pensioners choice, ????

Problem is Olmate, that with the Aussie pension and the exchange rate to baht, many of the poor buggers don't have much of a choice!

Having said that, there were some "reasonable" cask/box wines available here at one time, only to be replaced by the Montclair and similar rubbish – – never my scene, but had occasionally tasted the "reasonable" Aussie cask wines when dining out here. Not brilliant but certainly better than the Montclair rubbish.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And I wouldn't do what I do if I wouldn't like it. I like "my" restaurants and I like what I eat there regularly. I tried many drinks and I like the whisky which I drink in bars. It's not that I will never ever try anything new. But why should I try all the time something new if I am happy with what I do?

100% agree. Why go somewhere new if you like where you are/ what you eat etc?

I stopped going to different countries after I discovered Thailand, except for one mistake to Sri Lanka. Didn't like it at all, and stuck with LOS thereafter. Perhaps I missed out on some great experiences, but that I can live with, though perhaps I should have made the effort to see Petra.

As for eating, I mainly ate at Geckos in Chiang Mai. Not the best decor, but the food was great and the waitresses friendly. I did try Dukes a couple times, but too expensive and the food didn't taste any better.

So, basically, if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it

• Like 1

19 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe the coffee is very good when you put it in those mugs. But when is it cold? In maybe max 20min? And then you continue to drink cold coffee for 40min? Really? 

I only use mugs and the coffee is always cold long before I finish it. Don't care- coffee is coffee, hot or cold.