Problem with urgently required preferably OA visa from UK

I'll try and keep this brief.

I applied for an OA visa last Wednesday evening 12th and I'm flying on 25th with a likely return date of April 24 2023. 

The new online system is utterly hopeless and has said 'processing' since then.

I have tried calling three times now but the call cuts off after an hour.

I am wary of applying for another visa, instead of or in addition to, my current application.

Background 0 I was expecting the doctor simply to tick the boxes for his £150 fee as previous doctors have done but he insisted on testing for everything. He reassured me it would all be done in 24 hours but had never tested for elephantisis before. This apparently takes 10 days but the lab didn't receive my blood sample so I had to send another sample, hence 20 day delay. 

I know the Thai Embassy don't work Thai (or British) holidays so suspect King 9 was duly honoured with his holiday on Thursday 13th & 14th. The end of the rains retreat / Buddhist Lent rules out Friday 21st (and a beer if you are lucky enough to already be in the LOS). IF they can manage to process the application by their own maximum 5 day suggestion that takes us to Monday 24th the day before I fly.

All contributions gratefully received.

Simplest would be to enter Thailand visa exempt, and use an agent to facilitate longer stay as a retiree. This involves little effort on your part. The agent can offer you different options, cheaper if you are willing to transfer 800,000 baht into a Thai bank.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Where are you planning to stay ? 

The non O is single entry visa. 

Reentry permit is available. 

Obtaining non O in Thailand will not require insurance. 

My plans are a bit fluid. I have property back home which requires my personal attention from time to time. I need insurance regardless because I am not well in a number of respects.

In Thailand it will be gf's family home in Phetchabun which gets pretty tedious after not very long then an apartment in Pattaya until that grubby city gets too much to deal with. In short I'm at the stage of looking for a base after a few visits.

So the plan would be to go in without a visa, transfer to O, apply for a re-entry permit and then apply for visa extension in the last 90 days. It will mean a few visits to immigrations offices but should work out without too much trouble.

Thanks to all.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Seagull Sam said:

I need insurance regardless because I am not well in a number of respects.

If you come on an O-A visa to get an extension you will have to use one of the insurance companies on the approved list.  They will all exclude any pre exsisting conditions from coverage.  Thus defeating your need for insurance due to exsisting issues.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/18/2022 at 6:37 AM, BritTim said:

Simplest would be to enter Thailand visa exempt, and use an agent to facilitate longer stay as a retiree. This involves little effort on your part. The agent can offer you different options, cheaper if you are willing to transfer 800,000 baht into a Thai bank.

I agree about applying within Thailand but it can be done without an agent.  Not that difficult.  

48 minutes ago, rwill said:

They will all exclude any pre existing conditions from coverage.  Thus defeating your need for insurance due to existing issues.

My need for insurance is a simple fact which unfortunately cannot be 'defeated' as you suggest. 

In addition I am allowed insurance from another company if I can get three directors to sign. I have a signed form which was issued by a Thai company which will cover most of my pre-existing conditions but is not on the list. 

Last time I bought the cheapest insurance which I did not use. It is obviously too late for that now.

1 hour ago, SmokeandIce said:

I agree about applying within Thailand but it can be done without an agent.  Not that difficult.  

That is a valid comment. However, when you can meet all the requirements, an agent is not very expensive, and reduces the hassle involved in the process. It is up to the OP whether the convenience is worth the cost.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Seagull Sam said:

Thanks. I already have 800k in a Thai bank so I'm covered on that.

I understand the O visa is single entry only now.

Any tips on a decent agent?

The O Visa you get within Thailand is a 0 entry ... simply a conversion of your Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa entry to a 90 day Non-Imm O (already stamped used). 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

There is a gentleman in Udon Thani who has a current Non-O multiple entry visa issued from London about 5 months ago he applied using the online form an was able to select the option for multiple entry.

So while the U.K. website doesn’t list it as an option it is certainly available for some Non-O visa classes.

If you want more information I can give you his username on Udonmap, he may well reply.

• Like 1

Not sure the need to PA ic if you applied on the 12th. It's not an immediate approval upon Submission. It generally takes about 7 to 10 days. You can always fallback on traveling visa exempt and applying here. 

I just realised how lucky I was. My doctor send me back the health certificate by mail without seeing me in person. Maybe you should have tried another doctor that does not test for stuff that does not exist in the UK/western world. Anyway good luck. I got my OA visa approved within 10 days but had to call them. I guess sometimes they wait so that the visa date is close to your flight date.

hi guys, thought i'd post here cos just been on the thaievisa.go.th and it's just confusing to say the least!

All I need is a single entry Non-Immigrant Type O (90 days) . Previously I went into London and did it on the day, with just the wifes ID, passport copy & marriage cert. easy.

my question is: are there a LOT of problems with applying via the new online system as in 'Seagull Sam' case?

I fly out last week in November so I want to get this done in the next couple of weeks.

may just bite the bullet and drive the 70 odd miles to Cardiff consulate and get it done as i now live in Glos.

Any advice is much appreciated. THANKS!

Edited by CaptainPeacock

9 minutes ago, CaptainPeacock said:

hi guys, thought i'd post here cos just been on the thaievisa.go.th and it's just confusing to say the least!

All I need is a single entry Non-Immigrant Type O (90 days) . Previously I went into London and did it on the day, with just the wifes ID, passport copy & marriage cert. easy.

my question is: are there a LOT of problems with applying via the new online system as in 'Seagull Sam' case?

I fly out last week in November so I want to get this done in the next couple of weeks.

may just bite the bullet and drive the 70 odd miles to Cardiff consulate and get it done as i now live in Glos.

Any advice is much appreciated. THANKS!

I believe all Thai consulates are closed in the UK, everything goes through the London embassy, and all visas are done using the online service 

This warning on the home page is critical:

*****PLEASE NOTE: CONSULATES WILL FULLY CLOSE FROM 27TH MAY 2021, WE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ISSUE A VISA AFTER 6PM THAT DAY. FROM THAT DATE ALL VISAS MUST BE APPLIED FOR ONLINE BY VISTING - WWW.THAIVISA.GO.TH*****

Is it possible to...

1) enter on a Visa Exempt,

2) then apply for the Non-Imm O Visa within Thailand (i.e. directly at Chaeng Wattana etc or a local Immigration office ?)....  

3) then of course the extension of stay after that (and get the multiple re-entry permit when exiting the country) ????

• Like 1

On 10/18/2022 at 12:53 PM, DrJack54 said:

If you have the 800k in the bank really don't need an agent.

Where are you planning to stay ? 

Reentry permit is available. 

Obtaining non O in Thailand will not require insurance. 

All good and what I did. Just be sure to have the inbound international funds transfer document for your 800K on Non-O first application.

Why, oh why, oh why do they complicate matters and contradict themselves? Going round in circles so you can turn up in Thailand to hand over your hard earned cash makes no sense. Try clicking on 'contact us' and you are directed to a full page message from the ambassador.

There is no test for leprosy so why put it on the form? A few years ago I found a doctor in London who took a look at me and simply ticked all the boxes. That was an expensive 100+ mile round trip so I went to a doctor in my home town who took it all too far but no doubt it was a decent little earner for him.

I can see a few ways in which my application may have been considered deficient but my OA visa was finally issued at 11.04pm UK / 5.04am Thailand. My guess is that the staff may have been indulging in Breaking Bad quality product.

Start the proceedings early and use a doctor you know personally or by reputation. 

Now what did I do with that sun cream and phrasebook? 

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Is it possible to...

1) enter on a Visa Exempt,

2) then apply for the Non-Imm O Visa within Thailand (i.e. directly at Chaeng Wattana etc or a local Immigration office ?)....  

3) then of course the extension of stay after that (and get the multiple re-entry permit when exiting the country) ????

Yes to all of your questions.

Choose the type of visa you want here and click it. https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?page_id=2537

I told you my doctor was <deleted> but to give him his due you would need to present with obvious symptoms of the disease before further tests / biopsy.

I make my points simply to note the random nature of the OA visa application. It would not be beyond the wit of man to ask different questions of different areas of the world. Leprosy,  as an example, is not an issue in UK but might be if you were applying from another Asian country.

The advice appears to be different, muddled and self-cintradictory on different countries' websites (and even within the same jurisdictions as in Wales & England).

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes to all of your questions.

Choose the type of visa you want here and click

Is there any way to get around the requirement for in-country Non-O (Retirement) of "Rental Agreement between the Applicant and the Landlord ; A copy of house registration. Location map of the house and a rental receipt Past three months." (point 6 of the required document list from Thai Immigration,  https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/9.FOR-RETIREMENT-PURPOSES-50-YEARS-OLD-NON-O.pdf), please?  Since for the first year or two I would for long periods not be in Thailand, I would not really want to spend the money for a permanent rental, but at the same time would want to avoid problems for entering Thailand too frequently visa-exempt.

Edited by K2938

4 minutes ago, K2938 said:

Is there any way to get around the requirement for an in-country Non-O of the "Rental Agreement between the Applicant and the Landlord

They should accept a TM30.

Especially if it's non O based on retirement.

• Like 1