Former school director gets 192 years in prison over school lunch scandal

snoop1130

10 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

I like these sentences.. and I am wondering when someone will get 4 times death penalty... I think it will be difficult after the first time to do the second ne.. Same now 192 years in prison... What will happen if he dies in 10 years because no suspension... 

If he dies in prison in ten years, he dies in ten years; what do you expect to happen to him, prop him up in a call for the next forty years? 

Of course a police general gets reassigned for his alleged involvement in drug cartels. And Chop Doc Wisut gets released after just under 11 years, and could well be back to practicing medicine for all we know.

The Ministry of Education is a cesspool of corruption. For the amount of money allocated to the MoE, per student, they should be churning out another Einstein every year or so.

I get making an example of one administrator - it makes it look like something is being done, but this problem is a lot bigger, and tossing out an outrageous sentence is just a mockery of the already flawed Thai "judicial" system.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

If he dies in prison in ten years, he dies in ten years; what do you expect to happen to him, prop him up in a call for the next forty years? 

prop him up, include him in roll call and warden can pocket the food allowance...

21 minutes ago, Purdey said:

. On a prison visit a few years ago I was allowed to chat with prisoners unsupervised. An old lady informed that while the government paid for meat in their food they were given only rice and vegetables.

The "old lady" was lying, anyone who's actually been in a Thai prison will refute that.   

How did you get to visit a group of prisoners, or a lone female prisoner, unsupervised, when all prison visiting in Thailand is done through a screen via a phone handset, unless you're the prisoner's lawyer?

19 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:
26 minutes ago, Purdey said:

An old lady informed that while the government paid for meat in their food they were given only rice and vegetables.

Sounds like he will literally be getting a taste of his own medicine.

He could always just go to the prison shop and buy the food he wants, or get a visitor to buy it from the visitors shop or order something specific from an available list the night before, all above board options in Thai prisons.   Coffee and doughnuts for breakfast, fast food sent in, fresh fruit given out during the day, all daily occurrences.   Sorry to burst the bubble.

21 minutes ago, newnative said:

Ridiculous sentence.  Nobody died.  Kids got a skimpy school meal.  Should he be punished?  Certainly, and with some jail time.  But, 192 years for skimming some money? 

Kids did not just get "a skimpy meal", 77 children had insufficient meals consistently while he lined his pockets with those 77 childrens' lunch money.   77 counts of fraud.

24 minutes ago, Tiredofglasshalfemptyexpat said:
13 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

Your entire life's mission should be helping children, yet you starve them to make more money.

Let's hope the kids had money to buy all the junk sold around school, and I have a feeling this wasn't the only thing this guy did and the length of bad deeds is long.

50 years seems harsh, but not when we are talking about children (77 counts, maybe 77 kids?  probably hundreds)

Why bother responding? Surely you have something better to do ... although you've done this over 2,000 times. 

"Why bother responding? Surely you have something better to do..."

How about because it's a forum with one sole purpose...to get members to respond to articles?    But, ironically, to quote your own words, "surely you have something better to do"?

25 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

tossing out an outrageous sentence is just a mockery of the already flawed Thai "judicial" system.

Not quite as "outrageous" as the 77 counts of fraud that he committed.   That's the way that judicial systems work worldwide.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

42 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

you don't understand ...... it is a ridiculous sentence 192 years without suspension....see the joke of it 

17 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Kids did not just get "a skimpy meal", 77 children had insufficient meals consistently while he lined his pockets with those 77 childrens' lunch money.   77 counts of fraud.

Yes, fraud, with the school meal program.   Not murder.  They chose to count it as 77 cases.  It could just as easily have been seen as 1 case of fraud in the misuse of school funds in regard to the meal program.  As I said, he should receive jail time for his fraud but 192 years is far too harsh.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

I like these sentences.. and I am wondering when someone will get 4 times death penalty... I think it will be difficult after the first time to do the second ne.. Same now 192 years in prison... What will happen if he dies in 10 years because no suspension... 

"Due to his confession, however, the sentence was commuted to 192 years and six months.  Nonetheless, according to the Criminal Code, the maximum imprisonment permissible by law is 50 years."

So why hand down a totally unattainable sentence - it might as well be 10,000 years!

(P.S. I like the "and 6 months" bit - and yes, I know it's a matter of mathematics!)

2 hours ago, fittobethaied said:

My stepdaughter is a government schoolteacher, and she has told me horrid stories of rampant corruption by these school directors. She is in charge of managing the budget for the school, so she has first-hand knowledge of the problems. A major Thai bank gives the school 400K per year to supplement the school lunch program, and the director steals half of it. This is only one of many ways that these crooked directors game the system.

Well if she knows this, and continues to say nothing then she is compliant also. anonymously report it !

Well, on that note I just hope that the defrocked school director has a very, very long life then, otherwise he will not be able to enjoy the governmentally paid vacation. 

Correct is to reprimand the slime but compared to other crooks roaming the land I wonder where and when common sense flew out of a very big, permanently open window .......... just saying! 

7 hours ago, smedly said:

these crimes should be measured by the value of the fraud, there are people in high places enriching themselves with billions - the untouchables who are protected by the rules they write themselves, I wonder how many there are in Thailand that are unusually rich and cannot account for their wealth

Off the top I can think of two....