Locked out and unpaid

francie

Hello,

I was unable to return to Thailand in 2020 due to being “locked out” by the flight ban. The school cancelled my contract and I have not been paid salary owed.

I did return to Thailand recently and went to the labor office. They took some details but never got back to me.

I have tried to contact the school but got no response. 

There is also a related issue that my old non-b visa has expired but has not been cancelled. I don't know why this is necessary but Immigration told me it needs to be done if I want another non-b visa. This required a document from the school but they refused to provide it.

Anyone any suggestions how I can recover the unpaid salary and fix the visa issue? Thanks in advance,

Francie

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

Labour office isn't useless at all here.

Yea, will see how long it takes or if they do anything at all to help this guy get paid. I know many English teachers who got stiffed by their employees here who went to the labor office to complain who only took their report and did nothing about it just like the OP, they never got back to him as not sure where your from but where I come from their useless if they can't help you. 

Edited by nightfox
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Have you actually been to the labour complaints office of the Labour ministry at Din Daeng?

It's on the ground floor. If you appraoch the building the signs about 'COMPLAINTS OFFICE' or perhaps it's called 'DISPUTES OFFICE' or similar are very big. You can't miss it.

The staff are actually good listeners, friendly and welcoming and many speak excelllent English.

They have helped many people. They don't discriminate against foreigners.

That is what I said, you are barking up the wrong poster.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

they see a white face the cash registers in their head start ringing.

Just doctors and lawyers? And just in Thailand? I think anyone of whatever colour and/ or nationality

going private anywhere is likely to set off the cash registers. The only difference as to how loudly they ring may be the country, their location in it, their professional and financial experience and expectations of the professional  and the client. I have been both.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Just doctors and lawyers? And just in Thailand? I think anyone of whatever colour and/ or nationality

going private anywhere is likely to set off the cash registers. The only difference as to how loudly they ring may be the country, their location in it, their professional and financial experience and expectations of the professional  and the client. I have been both.

No not just doctors and lawyers, and not just in Thailand. and you do make a sensible post.

• Thanks 1

Hello again,

A big thank you to everyone who gave suggestions/ideas.  I now want to give more detail on my problem and try to answer queries. 

I had been a teacher at the school for 3 years with yearly extensions. I had permission (verbal) to go on holiday during the school break from March to May 2020. My contract was due to end in September 2020. I was informed by email of the termination of my contract in June 2020 and was not given formal notice. I am owed about 150,000 baht in unpaid salary (4 months salary as the school did not reopen until 1st July 2020).

I did make several attempts to return by scheduled flight but these were cancelled due to the ban.

I then tried to return through the special flights arranged for stranded foreigners but the school refused to provide a letter to support my application.

During my absence, I obtained legal advice from a reputable Thai firm (by email). They told me that as I did not have written permission to go on holiday, the school were legally correct to end my contract. However, in previous years, verbal permission had always been enough.

I managed to return to Thailand this year when restrictions were eased and went in person to the local labor office for help. I am convinced this was the correct office to go to but still was sent to 2 other offices. I feel I got the runaround and was never contacted about my case. 

Hope this answers most of the queries and thanks again to everyone for their input. I do intend to follow up on some of the suggestions...

Francie

• Like 1

17 hours ago, nightfox said:

Yea, will see how long it takes or if they do anything at all to help this guy get paid. I know many English teachers who got stiffed by their employees here who went to the labor office to complain who only took their report and did nothing about it just like the OP, they never got back to him as not sure where your from but where I come from their useless if they can't help you. 

Are you an English language teacher?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, francie said:

They told me that as I did not have written permission to go on holiday, the school were legally correct to end my contract.

went to the labor board once, they were useless (IMO).  sat, listened to me talk to my old school, did nothing, I had to do all the negotiations, had to take maybe 40% or less (long time ago) and then had to sign some forms.   felt very, very useless.      second time I had to email labor about a bad contract.  Both parties signed, they then changed things and I didn't agree.....another headache.  labor basically said, 'no work permit with them' (true, only signed contract and then headaches) so nothing.   then another school changed another contract, only verbal.  i didn't agree with the change, they didn't care.  i didn't do anything.   

The school will find a way to end your contract.  If it involves money, they will fight it.   Odds of getting that salary is probably 0%, even if you spend 10 to 20k on a good lawyer.  plus all the time.   and don't work in that same province.   

remember the story of the Brit who hired 18, EIGHTEEN, lawyers before one didn't steal his money.   crazy situation, and he broke out of jail (youtube will find his documentary).   yea, I've only heard of one falang who had luck with a labor department.  only one.  

Edited by Iamfalang

In the last three cases in which I was involved, 2 were won by the teacher and one was won by the school.  Two employees were challenging the school for unfair dismissal.  They were dismissed for what I would say were questionable reasons.  I refused to sign a letter of termination since the grounds were what I considered not sufficient to terminate.  The school terminated them anyway.  They sued.  They won.  One was paid until the end of the contract which was 5 months pay, if my memory serves me right.  The other received 3 months pay -- I have no idea why there was a difference between the two other than one employee had worked at the school for quite a number of years and the other was in the first year of employment but well past probation.

The other case was over money that was withheld at the start of employment and was to go to the employee upon completion of the contract.   The employee lost because it was deemed to be a difference in pay -- In short, the employee was paid one salary amount during probation and upon completion of the 3 months probation, the salary was increased by 3,000 baht.  The difference in pay was 9,000 baht.  The school, at it's discretion, would give 9,000 baht to employees when they resigned from the school and had completed the contract.  The employee had completed a contract and had started a new term and then left without notice. 

The labor ministry determined that it was a difference in pay between the probationary period and the regular salary and it was not owed or earned by the employee.  So, he did not win. 

In the last case, the labor mediator did not look kindly on leaving without notification.  The school was also advised to consider the manner in which the contract was worded to avoid further problems.

In this situation, I have no idea how it would work out, but they don't seem to be inclined to pay out people when they did not return to work, but that is just a guess.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/27/2022 at 6:52 PM, francie said:

Hello again,

A big thank you to everyone who gave suggestions/ideas.  I now want to give more detail on my problem and try to answer queries. 

I had been a teacher at the school for 3 years with yearly extensions. I had permission (verbal) to go on holiday during the school break from March to May 2020. My contract was due to end in September 2020. I was informed by email of the termination of my contract in June 2020 and was not given formal notice. I am owed about 150,000 baht in unpaid salary (4 months salary as the school did not reopen until 1st July 2020).

I did make several attempts to return by scheduled flight but these were cancelled due to the ban.

I then tried to return through the special flights arranged for stranded foreigners but the school refused to provide a letter to support my application.

During my absence, I obtained legal advice from a reputable Thai firm (by email). They told me that as I did not have written permission to go on holiday, the school were legally correct to end my contract. However, in previous years, verbal permission had always been enough.

I managed to return to Thailand this year when restrictions were eased and went in person to the local labor office for help. I am convinced this was the correct office to go to but still was sent to 2 other offices. I feel I got the runaround and was never contacted about my case. 

Hope this answers most of the queries and thanks again to everyone for their input. I do intend to follow up on some of the suggestions...

Francie

You don't have any paperwork that they gave you a holiday and you never returned on time. So you abandoned your job. They owe you nothing. Pretty normal that the Labour office didn't follow up on it. You want getting paid while doing nothing in your home country? Welcome to the real world where you actually have to work to earn some money.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/27/2022 at 7:11 PM, Iamfalang said:

went to the labor board once, they were useless (IMO).  sat, listened to me talk to my old school, did nothing, I had to do all the negotiations, had to take maybe 40% or less (long time ago) and then had to sign some forms.   felt very, very useless.      second time I had to email labor about a bad contract.  Both parties signed, they then changed things and I didn't agree.....another headache.  labor basically said, 'no work permit with them' (true, only signed contract and then headaches) so nothing.   then another school changed another contract, only verbal.  i didn't agree with the change, they didn't care.  i didn't do anything.   

The school will find a way to end your contract.  If it involves money, they will fight it.   Odds of getting that salary is probably 0%, even if you spend 10 to 20k on a good lawyer.  plus all the time.   and don't work in that same province.   

remember the story of the Brit who hired 18, EIGHTEEN, lawyers before one didn't steal his money.   crazy situation, and he broke out of jail (youtube will find his documentary).   yea, I've only heard of one falang who had luck with a labor department.  only one.  

So you brake the law by working without a work permit and you want justice, start by obeying the law yourself in the first place. That you only know 1 person says nothing.

On 10/26/2022 at 7:34 PM, nightfox said:

If you have a good case, contract and sll the correct paperwork Department of Labour will help. I've seen it many times. 

If the local department decide not VTO help obe should refer themselves to the HO in Bangkok.

There are many cases where the employee, both foreign and Thai, believe they have a case but don't. 

A legal contract of employment will be in Thai. I wonder how many of those teachers you know carefully read their contract or got a reliable person to read it for them.

• Thumbs Up 1