Making friends with Thai men.

bob smith

7 hours ago, 2baht said:

Are you getting the picture, Bob?

yes, and its a rather bleak one i must say. im also curious to how the average thai on the street would fair in the west. like say in germany, switzerland etc. how would they get on if they dont like conversing with foreigners? anyway, i still will not give up my quest to find a thai with a good head on his shoulders that i can shoot the sh** with over a few brandys/

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bob smith said:

anyway, i still will not give up my quest to find a thai with a good head on his shoulders that i can shoot the sh** with over a few brandys/

By all means do, Bob, but don't let your expectations get too high.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

why is it so difficult to make friends with thai men?

Have you watched "The Pacific" (miniseries) about the WW2? At the end of the WW2 the US heroes were going to return home. But they had to stay in Australia for a few days. There was a fighting between the American men and Australian ones. The reason was the Australian men did not like the foreigners to spoil their women. 
This is the main reason why the Thai men don't like you here.
A typical conversation between you and a Thai man (or a ladyboy) is always the same, no matter where - in immigration, shopping center or gasoline station. They will talk about Thai women and ask you WHY you are here. They will not ask you why you come here to spoil their women but that is what they really think when talking with you.

7 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Lots of bitter comments. You get back what you project out. Some Thais speak good English.

their english level isnt really in question. its about friendships, lasting friendships between thai men and foreigners. they seem to be rather thin on th ground.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, visabouncer said:

They will not ask you why you come here to spoil their women but that is what they really think when talking with you.

what do you mean by spoling their woemn exactly? you mean by marrying them, raising kids with them etc? being monogomous? thats wht i see from most farang thai couples. on the other hand i see thai men regularly cheat on their women and occaisioanlly beat them when drunk sad but true, at ;east what i have seen,

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bob smith said:

their english level isnt really in question. its about friendships, lasting friendships between thai men and foreigners. they seem to be rather thin on th ground.

People are busy. Be friendly, trade numbers. Meet up for a beer. Thats all you can do. You cant force friendships. Mainly comes via hobbies.

• Like 2

Just now, BangkokReady said:

The thing is, if you discount women who are in relationships with foreign men or looking for such, are the women that interested in befriending foreigners either?  Possibly Thai people simply aren't that interested in foreigners.

According to interviews they are. Most people want to make friends. Many are shy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BangkokReady said:

And then interpret the tone and emotion.  Possibly incorrectly.

And there is no other conclusion to this (if true), other than you must be better than the OP and they must be deficient in some way?  Without really knowing anything about the OP?

Just effort. Take an interest in people.

7 hours ago, VinnieK said:

I never seen any Thais showing any interest in Burmese or Malaysian ppl either..and they are next door neighbours.

Insular af.

is it any different in malaysia and burma tho? i mean do the local men get on with foreigners up there or is it the same old shtick? having never lived in either i am also curious

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2baht said:

Best to give them a wide birth Bob. After 30 years, I would'nt invite one of them to my home for a BBQ! I have had many aquantainances through my working life in Thailand but NO lasting friendships with any Thai males!

Did I misinterpret the tone here?

Wide berth.