Australian big bike rider crashes into power pole in Chonburi and dies

webfact

image.jpeg

PHOTO: TMN Cable TV Pattaya

By Tanakorn Panyadee

Mueng district, Chonburi — An Australian big bike rider died after trying to evade a truck at high speed and crashing into a power pole.

The victim, whose name was withheld pending embassy and family contact, got into a traffic accident in the Samnak Bok subdistrict of Mueang district, Chonburi, today November 2nd.

The Australian victim sustained a broken neck and arms and instantly died at the accident scene. His demolished red Kawasaki ER6N 650 CC was found at the scene.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/11/02/australian-big-bike-rider-crashes-into-power-pole-in-chonburi-and-dies/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-11-03

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Henryford said:

You see these nutters all the time in Pattaya. Tearing along small sois at high speed, with no helmets.  No way they can avoid normal traffic turning. RIP all the same.

This was not a small soi and he was wearing a helmet.

Do you post because you like reading your own dribble ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

It does not matter if the soi was small, and it does not matter if he was wearing a helmet.

In this type of accident, one vehicle is typically going too fast. And it does not appear to be the truck....

It's difficult to say how fast is ‘too fast’.... 

Hitting a stationary object at 30 or 40kmh could instantly kill a rider, even with a helmet... and I think we could all agree that 30 or 40kmh on a normal road is not too fast (in most conditions and circumstances). 

(I’m not suggesting this happened, but...)... IF the rider was going 40kmh and the truck simply pulled across him at the last second, taking avoiding action and swerving is a natural response... hitting anything stationary (and awkwardly) at that speed has serious consequences. 

Additionally...  we can’t suggest people ride around at 20kmh on main roads... thats more risk (getting rear ended and getting in the way of other traffic). 

Also... (I’m not suggesting this happened, but...).. IF the truck was simply slowing to turn into a soi and did nothing to cut across the rider, perhaps the rider was distracted, noticed him too late etc and had to take quick avoiding action.

We’ll never know what really happened.... All we have is a ‘witness’ who mentioned the rider was going fast. But to person standing on side of the road any vehicle passing will seem to be going too fast when the collide with a stationary object, even if they are only going 20kmh - the impression given is relative to the sudden stop.

------------

Just two days ago I was riding down my sub-soi... (same speed as the rest of the traffic, about 20-30kmh (at a guess))...  a samlor (motorcycle with side car) looked, but pulled out anyway when I was about 5m away.... Too close for me to stop in time, braking hard I nearly hit-him but also managed to swerve and pull up next to him.....   quite angered I screamed at him !!...  of course, he shouted something back, of course he had no idea he was at fault. 

I wasn’t riding too fast, but still very nearly ended up hitting the Samlor... 

Had I been riding 5kmh faster I would have hit the samlor - would that have been riding too fast ?

I’m sure some armchair experts would argue yes, but thats like arguing if you are not there you’d avoid the accidents... some accidents are just impossible to avoid (in a car or motorcycle). 

Without camera footage (CCTV or Dash-cam) we’ll never know IF this accident (Australian rider) was avoidable or not...  We’ll never know if the truck made a late and dangerous manoeuvre and well never know if the Australian was riding too quickly for the conditions... 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I would have hit the samlor - would that have been riding too fast ?

I’m sure some armchair experts would argue yes,

From my armchair yes... you would have hit him from behind and that would put you at fault.  You have to presume someone will do something stupid here... because all too often, they do. (Many drive here as if they have right of way to enter into the left lane).

9 minutes ago, Why Me said:

Big biker vs power pole. That was quick. Darwin won.

One additional point of this issue not discussed is the frequency at which these ‘poles’ are impacted by motorcyclists (motorcyclist and cars, vans, trucks etc).... 

Part the road safety facet is the ‘physical safety’ of the roads themselves...  

On Thailands roads the road design itself lends to the increased incidence of accidents. 

... things such as tightening curves on fast roads, blind junctions, poor signage, late signage, confusing and non-logical road layout etc...   but also there are a lot of ‘obstacles’ positioned on or very close to the edge of roads... 

... consider all these power poles right int he edge of the road rather than set back...all these street signs in the central reservation, signs and posts which have no protective armco barriers around them...

Trees lining the edge of the roads without armco barriers etc...  

It seems much of the road design is haphazard without the concept of ‘moving vehicles’... 

The best example of this is the Police Check-points on a fast road. 

How many times have we crested the brow of a hill or rounded a corner on a fast road to see ‘stopped queueing traffic’ ahead of us....  positioned stupidly with no consideration for traffic safety, but for consideration of the officers so they are closer to their little hut, sub-station or convenience store. 

And this highlights the mindset - there really is no concept of ‘bigger picture'

25 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

650 cc is hardly what I would call a big bike. 

Thai media tend to use 'big bike' to differentiate from the majority scooter population.

A 650 is 'big' in comparison.

I gradually stepped down from 1000 to 900 to 600cc 4cyl, quite big/fast enough, and more than fast enough for built-up city streets.

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Avoided the truck but the power pole won.

Avoid two wheels and an ego.  I know so many why have kicked it or have been mercy cases without insurance to cover the horrific injuries. Stop being a wishful dreamer and age cautiously. In the LOS (stupidity)

God rest his sole

• Like 1

Well... it turns out many people were right... 

Both about the truck and the biker.... 

The Australian clearly was going quickly (speeding).

The Truck turned across his path. 

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/road-deaths/aussie-surf-star-dies-in-pattaya-motorcycle-crash?fbclid=IwAR3UGFiGGq9YwGhKOzRVyfVgnrvSaChIp_atlX4LiZySm4DvoGwhhYlHasw

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It's difficult to say how fast is ‘too fast’.... 

Hitting a stationary object at 30 or 40kmh could instantly kill a rider, even with a helmet... and I think we could all agree that 30 or 40kmh on a normal road is not too fast (in most conditions and circumstances). 

(I’m not suggesting this happened, but...)... IF the rider was going 40kmh and the truck simply pulled across him at the last second, taking avoiding action and swerving is a natural response... hitting anything stationary (and awkwardly) at that speed has serious consequences. 

Additionally...  we can’t suggest people ride around at 20kmh on main roads... thats more risk (getting rear ended and getting in the way of other traffic). 

Also... (I’m not suggesting this happened, but...).. IF the truck was simply slowing to turn into a soi and did nothing to cut across the rider, perhaps the rider was distracted, noticed him too late etc and had to take quick avoiding action.

We’ll never know what really happened.... All we have is a ‘witness’ who mentioned the rider was going fast. But to person standing on side of the road any vehicle passing will seem to be going too fast when the collide with a stationary object, even if they are only going 20kmh - the impression given is relative to the sudden stop.

------------

Just two days ago I was riding down my sub-soi... (same speed as the rest of the traffic, about 20-30kmh (at a guess))...  a samlor (motorcycle with side car) looked, but pulled out anyway when I was about 5m away.... Too close for me to stop in time, braking hard I nearly hit-him but also managed to swerve and pull up next to him.....   quite angered I screamed at him !!...  of course, he shouted something back, of course he had no idea he was at fault. 

I wasn’t riding too fast, but still very nearly ended up hitting the Samlor... 

Had I been riding 5kmh faster I would have hit the samlor - would that have been riding too fast ?

I’m sure some armchair experts would argue yes, but thats like arguing if you are not there you’d avoid the accidents... some accidents are just impossible to avoid (in a car or motorcycle). 

Without camera footage (CCTV or Dash-cam) we’ll never know IF this accident (Australian rider) was avoidable or not...  We’ll never know if the truck made a late and dangerous manoeuvre and well never know if the Australian was riding too quickly for the conditions... 

Well, you are right all the way Richard.

How fast is too fast. How is to know. But I would think that the person who got into an accident, or was able to avoid it certainly knows.

If this fellow would have been driving at 40 km/h, as you propose, he might well have survived.

And in the case that you describe about yourself, going perhaps 20 to 30 km/h at guess, you avoided a collision, because you were not going too fast.

Close call it was. I had some close calls also, and every time, I remember thinking, geez, I was going a tad bit too fast than normal. Lesson for next time.

I have driven some 150,000 km on these dangerous roads here, and I follow a rule: slow down, busy roads, 40 km max, big roads, 60 to 70 Km/h.

My friends do the same. Never had an accident, any of us.

You seem to have good rules of your own.

I see how people drive on these roads, here they say 'Mai gua thai', not afraid to die. Thais and tourists alike. And the bikes are getting bigger, so the danger is getting higher.

Of course there will be exceptions that will confirm the rule, some people driving carefully end up dead because of exceptional circumstances.

But the rule is simple, drive at a speed that your intuition tells you is safe.

Not a secret as to how to survive on these roads....

6 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

It does not matter if the soi was small, and it does not matter if he was wearing a helmet.

In this type of accident, one vehicle is typically going too fast. And it does not appear to be the truck....

Trucks rarely go fast. At least 50% of bikes go too fast. 

At least 95% likely biker error.