Two companies control Thailand's beer and spirits market; law changes unlikely to greatly affect customer choice

webfact

18 minutes ago, huangnon said:

Beer Laos holds up well against competition from a lot further afield than LOS, imo.

But you are correct, it puts it's supposedly wealthier Southern neighbor to shame with the meagre selection of cartel-operated, junkies-pish fayre produced here.

You could say they are only providing what people want, the locals prefer some of the worlds worst beers. Leo made 3 good ones this year but did not take off, locals prefer tasteless weak fizz. I see Leo has an extra strong one out- 5.1% instead of 5% ????

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

A monopoly. Just like the banks, the airlines, the taxis and every other major industry in the country.

Big corporations and the government are connected and they’ll do everything they can to maintain the cartel. 

And a primary reason why democracy is not allowed to grow here. Monopolies of just about every major business and of power, all centred around the same tiny number of people who would and have done just about anything they can to destroy any threats to their immense power. It's just evil. 

Fortunately, some brewing alternatives exist in the bigger cities and hopefully will continue to grow. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sambum said:

Whatever happened to the proposed reduction in taxation on imported wine?

When did you dream that? ????

Even if someone suggested it, the likelihood of it happening would be miniscule.  

1 Alcohol is expensive

2 Price of beer is ridiculous

3 The taxes are outrageous

4 I think low end whiskey not bottled in Scotland even big brands suspect, 50/50 with grain spirits. No longer drink it

5 Lao Khao should be illegal

6 Thai spirits should be 40%.

Anti free market. Welcome to planet Thailand. ASEAN, APEC lol.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, proton said:

You could say they are only providing what people want, the locals prefer some of the worlds worst beers. Leo made 3 good ones this year but did not take off, locals prefer tasteless weak fizz. I see Leo has an extra strong one out- 5.1% instead of 5% ????

Ya, I miss the old brown bottle Chang.  Much tastier and about 6.2%.  I think Beer Lao is about as close I can get to that memory for taste.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, George Aylesham said:

Just a thought - if all the micro-brewers could create a single cooperative maybe their combined volumes under such an umbrella would be sufficient to meet the requirements of the law?

I would guess would be big challenge as the threshold to get started is so high. Very difficult for any small brand to get much volume, especially as the big boys control big volume distribution. For anyone to be able to grow, would need free open market and a lot of time to grow business gradually.

Edited by mran66

One is tempted to come to the conclusion that Thai business lacks the capability to compete on a level playing field.  The constant protection of industry assures that the talent pool will never develop the skills and competencies that would allow them to compete in an open market.  The protectionism is bad for everyone other than the wealthy incumbents

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1