Bring back Thaivisa.com

CrossBones

3 hours ago, BangkokHank said:

I think he meant free speech. Why are you afraid to hear opinions that differ from yours? Can't you just refute them?

free speech .     hahahhahahahahahahhahah     shhhhhhh   there is a always someone listening 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

I think the repats might be a reason, along with the decline in sexpats.

We moved back to the US several years ago to follow our son, and while I'm still interested in Thai stuff, we have a house there I find myself less interested in commenting on things that I really have no interest in.

The age thing might also be a factor, these kind of forums had their day, but the younger folks don't really care for them and have moved to other platforms

For sure age is a factor as to who pays attention to most of the posts.

1 minute ago, JimmyJ said:

So impressed that after 20 posts you have been appointed (by yourself) spokesperson for all the posters here, and have learned what all of them care about.

"No one really cares about your political views, or at least not on an expat forum where we just need advice on how to live in a foreign country."

Translation : "I personally don't care about your political views...

I personally just need advice on how to live in a foreign country.

Because I feel that way, the forum should become that."

But isn't that the way everyone feels to some degree, I need the forum to be X so unless it is that then it's wrong? What about the poor troll who spends his/her time baiting other posters, they think the forum should allow that behavior whilst others want to intelligent debate....where to draw the line?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

But isn't that the way everyone feels to some degree, I need the forum to be X so unless it is that then it's wrong? What about the poor troll who spends his/her time baiting other posters, they think the forum should allow that behavior whilst others want to intelligent debate....where to draw the line?

Just won't let it go, will you.

Trying to control an open forum. stop it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Everything changes, moves on, evolves.

Computers , the internet, social media all changed in the last 20 years, some for the better, others not so much.

If memory serves, this month will be the 20th anniversary of this forum.

Everything does change Charlie as you say, bus companies, train companies, police forces, but not so much in America. In the fifties and probably before they had the LAPD, Greyhound and Trailways bus companies, Amtrak trains. Today they all still have the same names.

1 hour ago, Why Me said:

Lots of credible reports questioning what exactly happened at the Pelosi residence.

This is why I fled political discussions here.

You have a right to your opinion. And I have a right to leave you 100% alone with it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, blackcab said:

For better of for worse, monetization by google is changing the way people write and speak. Look at youtube channels and you will see that popular channels have started to use replacement code words. Grape instead of r@pe. Corn instead of p0rn. SA or essay instead of sexual assault. There are many others.

Really, any idea what code they use for *Sheep alone in a field* ?

31 minutes ago, Saanim said:

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Voltaire or possibly a biographer of his giving the essence of what the man was about. Whatever, the most wonderful words ever written. Better than any legal blather about free speech.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Why Me said:

Voltaire or possibly a biographer of his giving the essence of what the man was about. Whatever, the most wonderful words ever written. Better than any legal blather about free speech.

I Totally agree with you!

Here is some background info.

The earliest instance of the quote occurs in Hall’s 1906 “The Friends of Voltaire,” a biography of the French writer and philosopher originally published under Hall’s pseudonym S.G. Tallentyre.

In the passage where the quote appears, Hall discusses Voltaire’s reaction to news that the government had condemned and burned fellow French philosopher Claude-Adrien Helvétius’ book. Voltaire, according to Hall, did not find the substance of Helvétius’ work particularly impressive but was still dismayed by French Parliament’s actions.

“‘I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it,’ was his attitude now,” wrote Hall.

FACT CHECK: Did Voltaire Say, ‘I May Disapprove Of What You Say, But I Will Defend To the Death Your Right To Say It’? | Check Your Fact

Edited by DezLez
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

IMO it is useful to post material grievances here as a warning and information for others.

If there is a brand that throws you under a bus when it comes to a warranty, or a defective product, wouldn't you want to know about it?

If there was a police checkpoint that had a reputation for extorting foreigners on the flimsiest of pretexts, I am damn sure I would like to hear about that too.

Fair enough.