Calls for more serious punishment after Police Hospital doctor in Porsche gets community service for TWO DUI deaths

webfact

"She called on the Thai justice system to get more serious about DUI like in many countries abroad. "

Don't know in what cloud she is living, but these kind of sentences are STANDARD all the world over.

A movie "A shroud has no pockets" was made after a famous football player under DUI killed a pedestrian and went free (France).

• Thanks 1

Could you imagine a foreigner being treated in a similar manner under identical circumstances? It would be a draconian prison sentence and massive fine for mere mortals like us.

Take a bow RTP...you once again show that the RTP is merely a vehicle for criminality, even for a doctor, sworn to uphold the hippocratic oath.

• Like 2

Sack the judge and any other judge who does this, do a complete retrial and put the guy away for 10 years with no parole, DUI, 2 lives taken, 1 seriously injured, throwing money at them might help the families, but we all know it's a bribe, so give them the money and the driver a 10 year jail term, that is how you send out a clear message.

He will be out by his 39th birthday and will have the rest of his life ahead of him.

Edited by 4MyEgo

6 minutes ago, paulikens said:

That's not just a Thai thing. people like doctors get away with things like that all around the world.                  I can think of two doctors who got away with it in portugal????

Not from what I see in the UK and many other developed nations. the wealthier & more famous receive no preferential treatment when it comes to DUI….  

But, they have access to better lawyers ! 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

Punishment of a police officer or doctor, persons in a position of responsibility and trust, should be more severe, not less.

The police officer who ran down the doctor on a pedestrian crossing whilst unlicensed and riding a high powered motorcycle, and now this police officer and doctor, degrade the reputation of the Royal Thai Police. To counter this, it’s time to alter the attitude both of the police management and the public. 

This is firmly the responsibility of the Government. How about it?

A soldiers government being responsible?????? Only if plenty of money was coming their way.

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

The key is 5.5M compensation to victims families, back in farangland we'd normally get zero compensation, but defendant would get prison but that doesn't pay the bills

In the UK there is a Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme that *might* pay out somewhere between £2,500 and £11,000 to the spouse of a person who has been murdered.

7 hours ago, jvs said:

He already paid the family and that goes a long way here in Thailand.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Kanpong Siri-Isaranan, son of one of the victims, announced the family's intention to appeal the sentence for a longer jail term and no suspension. He said that the defendant had shown no remorse and his apologies were not genuine.

Pongpetch said that a year and more after the accident and she still can't walk properly. There was no justice in her view.

She called on the Thai justice system to get more serious about DUI like in many countries abroad. 

About twenty years ago a Swiss guy that I know married a wealthy petite divorced lady about ten years older than himself. She owned so much property in Chiang Mai that he couldn't lose financially, as at the time he was 34 and recently unemployed. After their legal marriage at the Amphur, her father, a retired Judge, held the wedding party at his home. He offered my friend five or six Thai bankbooks and asked him to select one, just as you draw straws for something, as a wedding present. He was not permitted to open the books of course. The one my friend chose had a balance of 83 million baht & his new father-in-law signed it over to the Swiss chap the next day. I was there and translated everything for my friend, who can't speak Thai to save himself. One can only guess how the old man had accumulated such wealth, on a lower court Judge's salary. At the time, I was still single and I just wished I'd met his wife before he did ......  

He killed 2 and seriously injured another…his occupation doesn’t matter in application of the law…

The punishment should have been determined already on the books..the judge showed immense favoritism and biased w/o thought of the lives the driver ruined 

Hard to respect this culture….

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bob smith said:

I wonder when he was arrested at the scene of the crime whether or not the coppers used the steel monkey rods to incapacitate him or whether he was chauffeured to the station in a limo equipped with a tv and a fridge full of champers. 

one rule for the rich, another for the poor (and farangs)

Farangs? The German bloke you keep banging on about, deserves everything he gets.

I'm a bit off topic.

Edited by roo860

9 hours ago, jvs said:

I will probably get a few negatives on this one but here is another point of view.

The Thai justice system being what it is,it is not the same wherever you

are from,

He already paid the family and that goes a long way here in Thailand.

Ok, i agree the sentence should have jail time but he got off easy.

On the other hand,putting a doctor in jail while there is a shortage of doctors will not do any one any good.

As far as justice (the Thai way) goes,the family did receive justice.

Yes, i know,

So you feel a payment of less than $200,000 per death, suspended jail sentence and 30 days community service a a fine of 100,000 baht is approriate?  Tell me you think that's acceptable when it happens to someone in your family 

10 hours ago, robblok said:

Should be mandatory jail time for anyone under the influence of drugs / alcohol who kill people with their car / motorbike. 

No excusses. the fact that this was a Doctor and Police captain probably made the sentence so lenient. 

10 years jail at least should be. 

5 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

Could you imagine a foreigner being treated in a similar manner under identical circumstances? It would be a draconian prison sentence and massive fine for mere mortals like us.

Take a bow RTP...you once again show that the RTP is merely a vehicle for criminality, even for a doctor, sworn to uphold the hippocratic oath.

I don't know any doctor who has sworn the hippocratic path in Thailand.

Ot did you made a typo and it should read "hypocritical"?

• Like 1