How common is cohabitation?

topswijaya

1 hour ago, JimHuaHin said:

Can you please define the term/phrase "Traditional Thai culture"?

Sure.

We are referring to the fabricated culture created in the 1950s, by the political elite in Bangkok, to "civilize" Thailand in the eyes of the West.

I hope that helps. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Maha Sarakham said:

Traditional Thai culture dictates that a woman shouldn't live with a man until married,

I think 90% Thai women live with men and even with their children. Even the educated college graduates and both persons working. I knew a Thai engineer who had a child and living with his GF and GF was also working a decent job. I asked him why not marry? He says expensive and he will marry when saved up enough. I think there is not much advantage like tax savings etc. 

I don't live with my GF and we have a child together and I know her for 16 years. And our daughter is 15 years. The reason I did not marry her is there is no benefits for me or for her unless I bring her to the USA. Though her family in the SiSaket thinks we were married. 

Edited by Onerak
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JimHuaHin said:

Can you please define the term/phrase "Traditional Thai culture"?

Thailand only came into existance after the 1932 revolution.

Tai people (note the spelling), only appeared in what is now Thailand about 1,000 years ago, emigrating from South West China.

What today is called "Thai culture" is heavily influenced  by the older Khmer and Mon empires/cultures.

For what it is worth, from my experience, most lower and lower middle class Thai couples live togther and have not been formally married; while middle and upper class Thais (especially those with university education) will have a (big) formal wedding ceremony as a show of "status" and "face".

On the other hand, in Thai-foreign relationships, Thai females maybe under pressure to formally get married, just in case the foreign male dies "in testate", ie without a formal will, as under Thai law de facto or cohabitation relationships are not recognised, and thus the female partner is not entitled to any of her departed partner's estate.

A village wedding would make all people happy (not binding) family/relatves

Based on the definition, it's extremely common..... I'm hard pressed to think of any couples I know that didn't.....Including myself....

Most ended up married - others bailed out, (both ways), during the test drive.....

Screenshot_2022-11-09-10-37-46-64_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

2 hours ago, Gaccha said:

I'll answer in one sentence:

In a country with poor mental healthcare, with the highest levels of genital attack by women in the World, and with a culture that teaches women via Channel 7 dramas that acting hysterical is appropriate behaviour, you should never give your apartment keys to any woman unless you are prepared to abandon that apartment in a night-escape wearing only your undies. 

You only missed one comma, congratulations.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

Interesting question. First I think we have to define marriage as if not married when living together whether Thai/Thai or Foreigner/ Thai it is cohabitation.

In Thailand you can be married in a Buddhist ceremony and most Thais certainly set alot of store by this and spend vasts sums of money on lavish betrothal and the marriage  celebration itself plus probably the sin sot, the pre nuptially negotiated dowry paid by the groom to his betrothed's family. Guests at the wedding give money, sometimes very large sums, to the bride and groom. But either party can walk away from this at any time and often do even if children are involved. It has no legal standing in Thai law courts. A Thai would not consider this cohabitation. They are married in the eyes of the Buddha. For the foreigner? Probably only as long as all is sweet knowing they can walk away. As a foreigner I'd say this is defacto cohabitation.

There is then the State civil ceremony and registration of the marriage at an Ampur. It does not require a grand and expensive ceremony, just 2 witnesses and for the foreigner perhaps a translator. Pay the fee to the Registrar. It takes, about 15 minutes. This is a legal marriage legally recognised in Thailand and many other countries, although in other countries the marriage certificate and perhaps also the registration document will have to be translated from Thai and legalised by MoFA and then the foreigner's Embassy. Legal recognition is needed for many things, including marriage visas here for the foreigner and in other countries for the Thai. Unless there is no dispute between the parties over custody of children,  money, maintenance and property divorce in a Thai registered marriage requires a reference to the Thai courts.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1