How common is cohabitation?

topswijaya

11 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Can we translate this to: How many farang guys live unmarried together with their Thai girlfriend?

If that is the question, then the answer is: many.

I lived with my wife for 5 years before we got married. Have now been together for 15 years.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JimHuaHin said:

For what it is worth, from my experience, most lower and lower middle class Thai couples live togther and have not been formally married; while middle and upper class Thais (especially those with university education) will have a (big) formal wedding ceremony as a show of "status" and "face".

In my experience in the US, I knew several Thai couples that were in grad school either working on a PhD or a Master's degree that were living together.  They were certainly not from lower or lower middle class status in Thailand.  If anything, they were from the upper classes. 

Edited by Hanuman2547

Maybe the most famous Thai cohabitor: Yingluck 'Poo' Shinawatra.

She has one son, Supasek, with her common law husband, Anusorn Amornchat. Anusorn was an executive of the Charoen Pokphand Group and managing director of M Link Asia Corporation PCL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yingluck_Shinawatra#Personal_life

Edited by jerrymahoney

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!! Let her stay over a few nights a week. If she gets a foot in the door for more than that you will never be able to get rid of her. And some day you WILL want her out.  Just tell her it's not fair to all the other girls if she moves in. 

On 11/9/2022 at 7:40 AM, jaywalker2 said:

Common among the commoners but not among the hi so. Among the lower classes just as common as premartial sex probably.

But plenty of wealthy hi-so men pay the rent for their 'on the side' girl. Could be that her status is not acceptable to the boys family, or it could be he's married to a hi-so woman and lives with her.

The exact opposite can also be found, wealthy hi-so women/girls paying the rent and a salary and a gift of expensive motor cycle etc., to a hot boy, expected to be 'at home and ready' whenever she arrives. But he'll never see her family, because he's 'low class'. (What a horrid term!)

This is a joke question right?

Thai's have no problem cohabiting, living together and having sex same as any almost every other country I've come across.

Mrs G and me lived together, had a son happily unmarried for years. The only reason we finally got married was to get her a green card to the US.

If someone is spinning the OP some fairy tale of Thai women being traditional virtuous pious maidens, take the wool from over the eyes!

On 11/8/2022 at 10:49 PM, Maha Sarakham said:

Traditional Thai culture dictates that a woman shouldn't live with a man until married, granted its a bit old fashioned, but some still abide by it.

Additionally, it's just not common, it's a different cultural perspective entirely.  Housing in Thailand isn't as unaffordable or out-of-reach in Thailand as it is in the West.  A woman might live with her family, boyfriend, in a dorm if studying, or with a same gender roommate until they have the funds to buy their own condo, but anything outside of that is very rare as Upnotover suggested above. 

Really depends on the woman, her situation, and her family to be honest.  But in most instances I wouldn't count on it.

exactly.. I knew my wife for 2 years before she was allowed to even stay at my place (officially) family decided that if not married then  engaged was ok so that's what we did it kept the now mother in law happy ..

On 11/9/2022 at 12:28 PM, JeffersLos said:

My first 6 Thai girlfriends wanted to move in the first night. Had their toothpaste and toothbrush already with them. 

here where I live in the North 2 years before we loved together.. but prior to my now wife when I was in Pattaya girls in my bed in 2 hours depends who and where eh..