Top physicians ask Thai court to ban cannabis use other than for strict medical purposes

snoop1130

1 hour ago, 2baht said:

I really don't think anyone not living in Thailand gives a rat's toss! For those living there, there's always been plenty to laugh about! 

Too many far more laughable events and U-Turns going on is the so called 1st World!

3 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

For over 25 years it’s been legal in Amsterdam they have a great doctor job there and great hospitals it’s strange to me how the doctors in Thailand are reacting to this maybe they’re in the pockets of the drug companies that push pills on All their patience TIT

Exactly, these are like payed opinions by these corrupt so called medical experts. 

How about the death cases and irreversible damages of alcohol, tobacco and most medicines?

Aren't these that the population should be protected against?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Celsius said:

I have to go with a Thai physicians on this.

I'm back in Toronto and the whole city smells of <deleted> and weed. It is absolutely incredible how downhill this country has gone. I actually prefer the smell of Bangkok canals I swear to God.

I'm not the one to bash my country and my passport, but it is what it is. A $hole

Your country has downhill because your leader was brought and paid for , his allegiance is to big pharma and the nwo <deleted> , same as my country , they want the people work for government and not government work for people

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Criminalising drugs makes them more difficult to access, so doing the opposite of exposing them to children. In theory, anyway.

But in practice, criminalizing them gives them an added glamour that especially appeals to teenagers, who can use them as a means of rebellion...

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

Hypocrisy at it's best again . The price for 1 Yaba tablet is down to 2 baht by now . THAT is dangerous for children .

Thailand is becoming a laughing stock with all these ( proposed ) U-turns .

And the King of U Turns, Anutin will not be doing so this time! Why? Probably because he has a few baht invested in marijuana production and distribution - a legalised drug lord!

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A group of physicians and opposition political parties has petitioned the Thai Administrative Court to ban the use of marijuana other than for strict medical purposes,

Which was how it was supposed to be from the start..

until Anutin decided to be Mr Popularity among the public by letting every man and his Soi dog grow it, process it, smoke it and eat it.

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Which was how it was supposed to be from the start..

until Anutin decided to be Mr Popularity among the public by letting every man and his Soi dog grow it, process it, smoke it and eat it.

Do you not understand how this works? I don't think you do..

Medical is just a cover for recreational use. It always has been. It's akin to entering through the back door, rather than the front door.

In every medical weed jurisdiction there are plenty of doctors willing and able to sign prescriptions for use of cannabis.

Even if Thailand reverts to a medical cannabis approach there will still be dispensaries and growers.  I don't think they are going to do that though, because the world's nations are opting to go straight to recreational cannabis, taking law enforcement completely out of the picture. And the lawmen are ok with that.

Which is not to say that there aren't legitimate medical uses. But the vast majority of medical users are just getting buzzed, because that's the cover story.

Edited by bobbin
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, PB172111 said:

Agree, restrict it to medicinal  use only.

A lot of people are abusing it, especially when they can hop on a motorcycle or drive a car.

The ones using it as a medical aid are more likely to drive than someone who has smoked for recreational purposes as they will think the doctor said it was OK.

9 hours ago, Pesche said:

One will never lose control after consuming Ganja!

I agree with most of what you said but in my 46 years of consuming weed in various forms,

I've learned a thing or two about it. I do believe the newer, stronger stuff is bad for at least some people, myself included. I developed a kind of cannabis psychosis after years of smoking skunk. And I know at least two young guys who've totally lost it apparently, partly due to too much strong weed in their teens and partly down to salvia, i think. 

Personally I'd be in favour of keeping the THC levels down to a sensible amount and the more natural, the better imo. Nobody seems interested in brick weed but as far as I'm concerned, it's the best thing to smoke because it has a good balance of THC and CBD and it's the lack of CBD which causes the psychotic episodes (maybe) 

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

I note the subject group of MDs are masked in their belief that this will defeat COVID. Or is it to prevent involuntary inalation of cannabis smoke?

For anonymity. They daren't show their faces in public for fear of rotten eggs being tossed at them, and middle digits being aimed in their direction.

Edited by bradiston

On 11/10/2022 at 1:35 PM, snoop1130 said:

“Solve drug problems with strict enforcement of the law and to eliminate drug production sites and drug networks

Cause this works so well in every country in the world who STRICTLY enforces drug policies (Sarcasm.) I'm still shocked they lock people up for using drugs. This seems like such an archaic way of doing things. Marijuana is the drug to worry about least. Alcohol is way worse - someone can actually die from total withdrawal due to the DTs, but no one discusses that. People can die from alcohol poisoning, but only fall asleep from too much weed, or possibly some negative thoughts from its psychoactive properties, but I'd still argue alcohol is way worse - amplifying whatever feelings they are currently going through, like depression.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

I know you're not here in Bangkok, but honeslty it still smells like an open sewer, with hints of rotting food. The canals are still putrid, cesspools, perhaps with a bit less discarded furniture.

I haven't smelled weed out in public - I live nearly on top of an "entertainment" zone, where there are at least twelve dispensaries (even those don't emit odors until you go inside) - since 9 June.

But don't let stop you from commenting from far, far away.

Yes. Toronto entertainment zone. Where injection sites and homeless master bathing near schools.

I don't bash a country I come from just stating facts. Looking to sell my property here. It has really gone downhill since covid

just shows how even "educated" people can be stupid. As a recreational drug is is conclusively shown that it is relatively harmless compared to such things as alcohol, Whereas cannabis for medical purposes is practically useless.

Edited by kwilco

9 hours ago, SenorTashi said:

Personally I'd be in favour of keeping the THC levels down to a sensible amount and the more natural, the better imo. Nobody seems interested in brick weed but as far as I'm concerned, it's the best thing to smoke because it has a good balance of THC and CBD and it's the lack of CBD which causes the psychotic episodes (maybe)

I don't think its practical to limit THC. I think I've read a few times here and there that even within the same strains, some individual phenotypes have different traits than their sibling plants and so there can be varying amounts of THC in the same strain and crop from plant to plant and definitely it also depends on growing conditions. If its too rainy or what have you a notoriously strong strain might turn out weaker than usual. You also can't very well be THC testing much of the weed that is sold either you have to snd it to a lab, but it sounds like Anutin was all about that, it will be a new set of nonsense, they could have arbitrary fake tests (where have we met those before, let me see...) and make lots more money on those and those that test positive for too much THC.

In any case asking the authorities to protect us from strong weed won't work, you have to protect yourself by smoking different strains, smoking less or not at all.

I'm not sure either you can blame the weed for psychosis, it might be a trigger in some cases. Also, some people enjoy having intense or "psychotic" experiences. Calling an experience a psychotic experience is putting an artificially contrived value judgement on something that doesn't objectively or inherently have the quality of being "psychotic" or producing something that objectively exists called psychosis. Psychosis is just someones opinion in other words. 

I have noticed that in Europe and America they warn people about a strain not being for beginners, i think that should work better than the govt getting involved with putting THC limits on things. I don't usually like really strong pot either, but sometimes I really want to get into something thick, there is always some insight or something gained even though it might be unpleasant and i might exclaim at the end, "God that was psychotic!". I am probably psychotic in many trained psychochiatrists' estimation because I have visions and actively encourage that in myself, but i don't care, thats a label created by a very sick establishment who is in no position to be labelling people as crazy particularly when they are doing no harm getting stoned and seeing Jesus in the lava lamp or what have you. But yes, there are some who shouldn't smoke pot, and I think its understood it isn't for people who are certifiably mentally ill, it makes things worse I've had many friends who have had problems and pot didn't help, but all of them eventually laid off it recognizing it wasn't helping them and making them worse. Yaba or alcohol on the other hand, I don't think people recognize there is a problem, it makes them too unaware and there is too much pleasure and delusion as part o the effects as compared with ganja which is said to be a sattvic substance in Ayrvedic medicine, one promoting insight, good thoughts, meditation.

I would also add that cannabis has been widely used in various forms in India, Iran, Afghanistan  and Pakistan not to mention Central Asia even earlier for millenia and while India finally made it illegal in the 80's or so, they didn't make bhang illegal, which is an edible form of cannabis that can be quite strong in its mental effects. India too is considering reversing the prohibition. Cannabis was central to the Nepali people, they made their clothes from hemp used it medicinally and recreationally. The Zulu used cannabis for psyching up their soldiers. It has been argued that the British East India Company wanted to squelch economic competition from traditional Indian socities and started stigmatising and then incarcerating people in both jails and mental institutions for breaking laws they made in the 19th century.

Unfortunately these Thai doctors and politicians are too narrow to appreciate even their own history of cannabis which is also very rich. Cannabis was studied and advocated by the top Thai medical universities until the prohibition launched by the United States. Thai, Burmese and Lao cannabis strains are in a top level among world strains in the estimation of many smokers, famous for a very energizing and psychedelic and/or clear minded high, unlike many of the modern westerne created hybrids that are threatening to push out the old landrace strains, yet often have an inferior flavor and effect.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

How did this pyschosis manifest?

To be honest with you, I don't even feel comfortable talking about it because it took me a long time to calm it down. But lately, it mainly manifests by me feeling pretty chill after a smoke, then someone says something I don't like and I bite their head off. I know I'm doing it but I can't stop. I've smoked with my adult son on and off over the years and even he said I should lay off the weed.

2 hours ago, Gilligan In Drag said:

I would also add that cannabis has been widely used in various forms in India, Iran, Afghanistan  and Pakistan not to mention Central Asia even earlier for millenia

I agree with everything you said there and I was saying the above to my missus last night. I also said, just because the Buddha didn't enjoy the ganj, doesn't mean it's not sacred. It's very important to me that the plant is respected at all times. I've felt like that since my first experiences with it in the 70's. I've never ripped anyone off or ever sold any mouldy weed etc and if anyone ever rips me off, I get more upset me that they've disrespected the plant, than the fact that I've lost some money. 

I agree that it's very difficult to police THC levels. I just think it's a shame that they increased the power of it in the first place because as you say, it's been used for millenia without any problems. Most of my older friends don't want to smoke the newer, stronger strains because it does their heads in. Like you, I used to enjoy the stronger stuff for the buzz but I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole these days. 

I've been making my own edibles for years and almost every time I'm making cakes, I end up eating too much by licking the spoon and I've had some very intense and frightening experiences over the years. During one of the worst episodes, I honestly didn't know what life form I was for a while then when I'd calmed down a bit, I couldn't work out which hotel or town or country I was in, then I got very paranoid that I could be robbed at any minute.

I ended up totally naked and pouring with sweat, crouched in the corner of the hotel room and holding a large knife, which I'd been cutting the fudge into squares with. Suddenly the door swung open and the hotel manager said "And we have this room....' saw me crouching there, looking wild eyed and naked with a large knife, then quickly shut the door, saying, 'My mistake. Someone's in that room' ...lmao

I went back there several times over the years but we never talked about that.  

• Haha 1