Working with Thai people.

bob smith

4 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

I like Thailand a place for sugar babies and have fun with them in bed and outside. Where can you get a 19-year old model looking girl for 50+ men for a sugar baby for 3K USD for a month and enjoy her silky smooth body in her birthday suit all night? Agreed that conversation will be minimal but not intellectually challenging but who cares. I prefer it that. A few screams of "oh I love you" at night when I am inside her moist sacred hole is all I want and fulfilling. 

If you continue drilling holes, someday, you might get into trouble, like what happened to Deepwater Horizon.

Anyway, some day, your drill is going to wear out, and then, will you have anything left, but dry holes?

4 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Farang woman - i take 70% of house, i give little sex, bland food. 

Thai woman. ... I take 100% of the house, I give you caustic food (that I didn't cook myself), and occasional sex..

..and good luck trying to have a decent conversation with me. ????

24 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

He is doing exactly the opposite of being confrontational. He isn't joining in, he's ignoring the 'Thai way', he's not doing anything in opposition to it. It's called freedom of choice, not following the sheep.

As for working with Thai people, I think I'd like to work with people who are educated, intelligent, have initiative, have common sense, have pride in their work and aren't crippled by having to know their place on the ladder, who aren't over emotional. Not easy to find, in my experience.

Did you mention sheep? 

Sounds to me like you are spouting sheep thought, or, as some say, sheeple thought. 

The only cure for sheep thought is sheep dip, with total immersion. 

Get baptized, my son, in sheep dip. 

Sheep dip is the surest way to cure you of your absolutist illusions. 

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Love It 1

32 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

He is doing exactly the opposite of being confrontational. He isn't joining in, he's ignoring the 'Thai way', he's not doing anything in opposition to it. It's called freedom of choice, not following the sheep.

Professor Watzlawick explained this when he said: "You cannot not communicate."

2 hours ago, rimmae2 said:

From my experience it is normal to give donations when asked, buy a small gift for a birthday or share with others, just as it is normal to be invited to or go for lunch with Thai colleagues.

I worked in Sydney for 30-odd years and you've just described it to a T. Except for the gossip and well, what's the point of turning up for work if there's no goss ????

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I have 26 years of dealing with Thais in business. How about you? Many I've worked with wouldn't last a month in the west. Poor training, easily distracted. Your experience obviously is different. Lucky for you.

There - I managed to respond to you without being insulting. Try it sometime. You know, say something constructive. If you can. Your comment above adds nothing to the conversation.

OK, fine. 

I object to your willingness to generalize, onto the whole, specific traits for any given large group of anyone or anything. 

Surely, even you must know something about the normal curve, not to mention the power curve. 

And, even you must surely agree that there is more disparity between individuals in a given culture or country than there exist differences between cultures and countries. 

By the way, have you ever considered how much intelligence and backbreaking work is required to produce the best tasting jasmine rice in the world? 

Or, for that matter, have you ever wondered why Harvard undergrads are dumber than the average jungle dweller living in PNG? 

As much as I love living in Thailand it would take a really good job package to get me to want to work here. I think it would really leave a bitter taste in my mouth if as a Westerner I worked here and that is not something I want. I have worked in other Asian countries and have found them to be good places but I also have the knowledge that if I decided to finish a job I can come back to Thailand and leave the job and the country behind. If you work here you cant do that to the same extent.

7 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

As much as I love living in Thailand it would take a really good job package to get me to want to work here. I think it would really leave a bitter taste in my mouth if as a Westerner I worked here and that is not something I want. I have worked in other Asian countries and have found them to be good places but I also have the knowledge that if I decided to finish a job I can come back to Thailand and leave the job and the country behind. If you work here you cant do that to the same extent.

Your words are half sized

There are way to many variables in any working environment to ever accurately evaluate culture which varies from industry to industry let alone nation to nation and culture to culture. 

That said, what I have found is far more similarities than differences...  the idiosyncrasies may vary and there are certainly plenty of extreme examples...

I find ‘me doing me’ and 'them doing them’ (whoever ‘them' may be and wherever ‘they' may be from’ and from whichever culture) is the best solution....  it works because ‘me doing me’ is me doing my best, being polite, being respectful, but also I firmly believe in mutual respect.... it goes both ways, I try to genuinely respect those I’m around, it doesn’t always work, either due to misunderstanding or simple personalty clash...  

... We don’t have to be meek to get along, we don’t have to be overwhelmingly firm and force respect... 

.... I find just ‘doing what I do’ and being me without over thinking anything works best... 

And, if that doesn’t work, I’ve found the issue with is ’them’ not me....  

I’ve worked in many different countries and cultures, Europe, many different countries in the Middle East, Central and South East Asia..... To be honest, the biggest pathetic d!ck fights seem to be in the UK...  

I have found working within mixed culture environments to be the easiest because it avoids cliques. 

I can understand those who have worked in Thailand and encounter those issues Bob Smith has faced, I have seen such behaviour, seen the minor ego plays... I agree with the poster who suggested there is often an ‘alpha’ who the rest of the office defers to... this is usually because they are the most outspoken, not because they are the smartest....   those people are easily ignored IMO. 

In Bob’s example - 500 Baht for the monk was excessive. 

The ‘why didn’t you bring food’ may have been an attempt at a joke, if it wasn’t the girl is an utter self centred fool who can be ignored. 

Whatever is going on, IF there is a slightly toxic environment in that office, it can easily be ignored...  attention spans are short, there will be another issue before the end of the week !!... 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, bob smith said:

i would like to add that i dont rreally need the job, its just something to pass the time but i would like some adivce and how to deal with thai people  in the workplace.

If you don't need it, leave, you are obviously not liked

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:
19 hours ago, bob smith said:

i would like to add that i dont rreally need the job, its just something to pass the time but i would like some adivce and how to deal with thai people  in the workplace.

If you don't need it, leave, you are obviously not liked

Or have fun with it and relax....  When not taking things too seriously and by just getting on with things there is a higher probability that others will accept and conform to him.... 

Its the same with Children... chase them, pander to them, hover over them, try too hard to please them and they’ll pull away...  Just do whatever you want to do, they’ll find their own time to come to you... 

It's not lost on me that I naturally used Children as a comparison.... a significant proportion of the Thai work force is somewhat juvenile in their approach often lacking the emotional skills to handle minor differences and any criticisms...  equally so, grudges seem not to last and the environment is also more often than not ‘happy go lucky’...

... Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone...

...... Solitude by Ella Wheeler Wilcox.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Peterbkk99 said:

I experienced all of this first hand.  For several years.

For me working in an office with Thais was one the worst experiences in my life.

For most of them: incompetent, unreliable. ignorant, treacherous, shallow, lazy, and yet arrogant. 

I worked in France, the UAE, Singapore and there's none of the BS you find here. It's two different worlds.

I feel your paint right now mate. I really do

7 minutes ago, bob smith said:

I feel your paint right now mate. I really do

Oh that was long ago!

One word about the the temple donations: we had this admin girl who regularly asked for donations. Most of the expats gave money, but in the end I stopped donating. Because I felt pressured. After that she kind of stopped talking to me

9 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

Remember, the culture here is about 3 concepts:

1.-Generate money.

2.-Taking care (I take care of you, you take care of me- or for a fee)

3.- Saving face (The source of 90 % of the lies here)

Even their religion is for number one. They donate or make merit so ensure a better life for themselves, before or after death. It's all about them.

Quite a lively topic.  

500 was to much if that is even just 1/10 of an  hours wage.  I would have told the collector that of all the religions in the World what I like about Buddhism is it's not a forceful religion except for the morning chants which need to be stopped.  But so sorry I don't follow any religion and So I'm sorry but I donate to causes of my own choosing.   Op needs a bit thicker skin.   I recall the birthday, or retirement collectors bake in my company days.  Typical donations were 1/20 of an hours wage plus you could eat some cake. 

Be a leader and gossip about some of them in front of them and then tell them the gossip is silly and should stop. 

Edited by Elkski

9 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Anyway, some day, your drill is going to wear out, and then, will you have anything left, but dry holes?

If I don't need a young sugar baby in the future for her silky smooth skin because I can't go inside her, I will not keep a sugar baby. Men can do at least up 60+. So I still have a decade to enjoy Thailand. Even after 60+, a 20-year old model like girl's mouth will make me ready to enjoy her a few times at night, I would guess. 

I am always very surprised to see how many Westerners get frustrated about Thais (and venture into ridiculous interpretations such as "they are so selfish", "all they do is lie" etc). I suppose you don't speak Thai? There is no way anyone can begin to understand Thai culture (and interpret things the right way) without speaking the language. This is especially true in the workplace.

Practical example: they ask you for 500 THB for the monks (if I had a guess one of them said jokingly "let's ask the farang for 500, farangs have money" – there would be no bad intentions or anything negative behind that, they just like mucking about, almost childishly). Now if you had replied, in Thai and most importantly with a smile "Why would I give 500, the normal donation is 20? Oh you think the farang is rich, do you?" (at which point they would all be laughing and joining in, within minutes you would be friends with them and participate in normal Thai social things with them. But if you behave like a "farang" (refusal to smile, overthinking, explaining your "rationale" and "principles", answering in English etc), you will treated like one and it will never ever work.

Edited by rattlesnake
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rattlesnake said:

I am always very surprised to see how many Westerners get frustrated about Thais (and venture into ridiculous interpretations such as "they are so selfish", "all they do is lie" etc). I suppose you don't speak Thai? There is no way anyone can begin to understand Thai culture (and interpret things the right way) without speaking the language. This is especially true in the workplace.

Practical example: they ask you for 500 THB for the monks (if I had a guess one of them said jokingly "let's ask the farang for 500, farangs have money" – there would be no bad intentions or anything negative behind that, they just like mucking about, almost childishly). Now if you had replied, in Thai and most importantly with a smile "Why would I give 500, the normal donation is 20? Oh you think the farang is rich, do you?" (at which point they would all be laughing and joining in, within minutes you would be friends with them and participate in normal Thai social things with them. But if you behave like a "farang" (refusal to smile, overthinking, explaining your "rationale" and "principles", answering in English etc), you will treated like one and it will never ever work.

Great answer!

You are your own person.  You are not obligated to give anything to anyone  or participate in their nonsense. Just because Thais do certain things doesn’t mean you have to do them.  I’m sure that if your coworkers had a job in another country.  They wouldn’t feel obligated to do the same things as workers in that country. 
And I’m sure you are possibly being treated differently because you are a foreigner.  Just like the employee asking why you didn’t bring her anything for her birthday. 
Maybe the culture should concentrate more on honesty and respect.  Instead of seeing how much they can get from a foreigner.