Former President Donald Trump files to run in 2024

Scott

51 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Trump Says He’s ‘Not Going to Partake’ in Being Charged by Special Counsel

Trump is facing two potential prosecutions — a very serious offense, attempting to secure an unelected second term, for which his legal liability is murky, and a less serious but still grave charge, stealing and refusing to surrender classified government documents, for which his culpability seems ironclad.

Trump expressed confidence that he will escape charges — which, to be fair, he has managed to do repeatedly throughout his career despite having committed a string of crimes beginning in the 1970s.

Trump’s first defense is that, because he was previously impeached twice by Congress but not removed from office, prosecuting him for stealing documents would be “double jeopardy”:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2022/11/trump-special-counsel-jack-smith-not-going-to-partake-double-jeopardy.html

Double jeopardy, now that's hilarious 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'm going to try that out myself. IRS audit? Thank you kindly but I am not partaking. That man is hilariously dumb. Pass the cake.

I’m not disagreeing with you that the man is hilariously dumb, but  think the blame here lies with his lawyers, who are obviously not particularly bright either, to say the least. Last week they were even sanctioned for filing a frivolous lawsuit, they’re going to have to pay tens of thousands of dollars in fines. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Seven seconds.

I figure it takes seven seconds to determine whether Double Jeopardy applies.

You open the previous indictments and look at the top to see what he was charged with.

"Nope, not the same crimes, so not Double Jeopardy."

Yep, I figure Seven Seconds.

I think it'll take the judge longer to quit laughing......... than it'll take him to render his judgment.

• Like 1

Only one Republican senator has announced publicly that he will support former-President Trump’s 2024 reelection bid, a sign of the uphill battle Trump faces in his quest to win the Republican presidential nomination and a second term in the White House.  

Sen. Tommy Tuberville (R-Ala.) told reporters this week that he will support Trump’s candidacy for president and praised his track record in the Oval Office.  

The rest of the Senate GOP conference is holding back, skeptical he can win the 2024 presidential election or even beat Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis in the primary.  

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3742531-trump-white-house-bid-has-hardly-any-senate-gop-support/

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, candide said:

When former President Donald Trump returned briefly last week to his office at Trump Tower in New York, he was joined by his son Eric Trump and the top executive of a Saudi Arabian real estate company to sign a deal that creates new conflict-of-interest questions for his just-launched presidential campaign.

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-familys-newest-partners-middle-130831034.html

Who actually signed this deal?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, placeholder said:

That's irrelevant. What is relevant is if Donald Trump has an interest in the company on behalf of which the contract was signed.

I think that DT divested the executive leadership of the Trump Organization to his sons before 2016 but that's what I was trying to infer by my question. Anyway, I'm sure that any remaining interest he might have is legal and above board - the legal aspect is what is really relevant - I think that these arrangements already exist from his first term.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, nauseus said:

I think that DT divested the executive leadership of the Trump Organization to his sons before 2016 but that's what I was trying to infer by my question. Anyway, I'm sure that any remaining interest he might have is legal and above board - the legal aspect is what is really relevant - I think that these arrangements already exist from his first term.   

On the 23 of November, 2022 it is astonishing that someone would still believe that Donald Trump would take the honorable disinterested course in any sphere of life.

Did Trump keep his 19 promises to insulate himself from his business? Only he knows.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/politics/2019/03/18/president-donald-trumps-promises-didnt-end-business-entanglements/3030377002/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nauseus said:

Are you referring to those piles of documents he had his lawyers layout on a desk for the media when a document relinquishing control could easily have been a handful of pages or less?!

But hears a thing.

When the courts dissolve these companies Trump doesn’t control, he’ll throw a fizzy it.

Edited by Chomper Higgot

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Are you referring to those piles of documents he had his lawyers layout on a desk for the media when a document relinquishing control could easily have been a handful of pages or less?!

But hears a thing.

When the courts dissolve these companies Trump doesn’t control, he’ll throw a fizzy it.

Sounds like an acid attack.

4 hours ago, placeholder said:

On the 23 of November, 2022 it is astonishing that someone would still believe that Donald Trump would take the honorable disinterested course in any sphere of life.

Did Trump keep his 19 promises to insulate himself from his business? Only he knows.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/politics/2019/03/18/president-donald-trumps-promises-didnt-end-business-entanglements/3030377002/

You said honorable.  I said legal.

5 minutes ago, nauseus said:

You said honorable.  I said legal.

Well considering that there is no law barring the President from continuing to do business of course it's legal. But why did you  "think that DT divested the executive leadership of the Trump Organization to his sons before 2016 but that's what I was trying to infer by my question" unless you suspected that he might have behaved honorably?  

Trump's long-teased White House bid is low key in 1st week

"From the moment he left the White House in defeat last year, Donald Trump has teased the prospect of a third presidential campaign. But in the week since he officially declared his candidacy, the former president has been uncharacteristically low key.

“His lack of a schedule makes you wonder if he’s really running or if this is just a business development opportunity or a diversion from the DOJ activity,” said veteran GOP strategist Scott Reed, referring to Department of Justice probes into Trump's handling of classified documents and his efforts to overturn the 2020 election, which are expected to intensify in the coming weeks."

Edited by Phoenix Rising
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Trump's long-teased White House bid is low key in 1st week

"From the moment he left the White House in defeat last year, Donald Trump has teased the prospect of a third presidential campaign. But in the week since he officially declared his candidacy, the former president has been uncharacteristically low key.

“His lack of a schedule makes you wonder if he’s really running or if this is just a business development opportunity or a diversion from the DOJ activity,” said veteran GOP strategist Scott Reed, referring to Department of Justice probes into Trump's handling of classified documents and his efforts to overturn the 2020 election, which are expected to intensify in the coming weeks."

Scott Reed is a failed GOP campaign manager, who also failed to win a run for state rep in 2016 and who then left the US Chamber of Commerce under a cloud in 2020. Yahoo.  

9 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

OK, so trump has really run a high profile campaign with massive stadium rallies like he did last time? Why is it we haven't seen any news coverage of it - not even on Fox??

Is it possible it's a.......(wait for it)........CONSPIRACY (shhhhh, just wisper it!)??

Maybe because the campaigning hasn't even started yet. It is a bit early after all plus there's Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up. Maybe he'll kick off on J6?