Aussie old age pension eligibilty question

Leaving portability aside, apart from means testing...was just wondering what is the basic criteria for being eligible for the old age pension?

(My eligibility age is 67yo). I was under the impression you would have had to work in Australia for a minimum of 35 years but I looked on their site tonight and the only thing I see is that you have had to be a resident for at least 10 years. I am Australian born, resident there for 50 odd years and have been living in Thailand (without return) for about 10 years and am a non resident for tax purposes. I have no property in Australia and when I am eligible for the pension will pass the means test. 

If I was of qualifying pension age now, and after being out of the country so long, and returned to Australia tomorrow would I be immediately eligible for the pension?

Are my qualifying criteria correct ie resident 10 years or do you have to show you worked in Australia at least 35 years or other things I have missed?

Thanks in advance

Thanks for the replies guys but the opening words to my post were "leaving portability aside", meaning not particularly interested in that atm. I am more concerned with basic criteria to actually get the pension in Australia

22 minutes ago, flyswat said:

My understanding from assisting a mate recently with this problem....

There is a requirement to be resident in Australia for two years (for an Australian citizen), prior to receiving the pension while residing overseas, (assuming age requirements and asset requirements are met), especially if you have been working overseas for some years and not paying Australian taxes. 

In your case, as in my mates case, provided you meet age and asset requirements on you return to Australia for 2 years in order to meet this 2 year Australia residency period, you will be able to get a pension within 2 weeks of arrival, plus social welfare benefits for the two years in Australia then continue with a pension payment on your return to live in Thailand until you croak. I am not sure if you get pension  C.P.I. indexing after you return overseas. My mate took the opportunity (leaving his Thai/Aussie wife in Thailnd to mind the house), had several medical issues attended to cheaply, (ie, dicky knee replacement) , caught up with mates, and played lots of golf! and is now back in his rural home in Thailand.

Yes you get increases

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Kenny202 said:

Thanks for the replies guys but the opening words to my post were "leaving portability aside", meaning not particularly interested in that atm. I am more concerned with basic criteria to actually get the pension in Australia

well..you have to return so as to qualify for a start...the portability comes after that, in which case you are paid monthly.

29 minutes ago, itsari said:

I have no desire to live in Australia to receive the pension  what I paid for . They have changed the rules and are robbing thousands of people . Something needs to be done to make the Australian government to pay up .

Get onto PM Albo... he is in Bangkok today!! 

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, malt25 said:

Don't understand. Please explain.

As said above you will receive the pension while in Australia. As soon as you leave it will be stopped unless you have stayed in Australia for 2 years after first receiving it. Am not sure if that 2 years has to be continuous or can be aggregated going back and forth.

• Like 1

Ten years ago I returned to Australia for prolonged cancer treatment, on arrival went to Centrelink(took a family member with me to establish "roots" in Australia), I took this opportunity to apply for aged pension which was granted .I stayed 2 years and one day came back to Thailand ,after 26 weeks my allowances were stopped and I have received my payments since then

As a recently retired Aussie man of 66 years of age who has emigrated to live in LOS a couple pf years back (probably till death).

So, I had occasion not too long ago to enquire as to the ins and outs of leaving Australia and no longer being a resident.

My Pension age was 66.5 NOT 65. So to be sure check online to see if you might fall into the birth year category that is like me or the standard 65 years.

Personally I'm not eligible for the pension due to me not passing the means test but as a thorough kinda guy who likes to be forearmed and informed I spent some few occasions with Centrelink finding out exactly what was what with my plans to leave Australia.

You say you're eligible for the pension (i.e. you pass the 'mean test' and therefore have assets commensurate with eligibility for the full pension).

You must return to and have a registered residential Aussie address, register on the My Gov system e.g Tax file number reactivated (you were a previous taxpayer in Oz yes?); Medicare; visit to your state Services Offices for a drivers license (if you drive), Vaccination proofs for upload to your MyGov Profile. 

This process is quite simple ... all you do is attend Centrelink declare you have returned to Oz with the intention to live here and are seeking the Aged Pension.

There's no need to declare to Centrelink you intend to emigrate in 2 years - share only what is necessary now. You can call them and begin the process by phone but you will need to sit down with them to make everything (ID's etc) concrete anyways so I'd just go and do it face-to-face first thing.

To register is usual OZ governmental stuff e.g. I.D - points system - birth certificate, Passport, bank account statements, proof of residence and a few other forms to fill. 

For Aussies now we have our entire ID profile online, everything, so you have the Federal and State Gov app's on your phone and can access and do tonnes of stuff e.g vaccinations, emergency info and next of kin, not needing to carry a drivers license in your wallet as it is online, any points or driving fines, all your med stuff like blood type donor status etc.

As soon as you get back go to your local Centrelink Offices (take your ID's and banks statements as this will save time).

They'll help you create your profile setting you up with a mMy Gov profile on their customer PC's, (Medicare card, Pensioner Concession Card, Healthcare Card issuance will be generated and sent to your address etc.).

Once you've created a  MYGov account and then later at the other necessary Govt offices - State Services Offices (equivalent to Thai MOT). In NSW its called Services NSW and used to be called the Department of Transport (DOT).

Its got other names in Other States - Centrelink will help you with maybe a URL link or address of phone number to find your local one. 

This is the same place you went long ago to renew your drivers licenses.

Now energy bill payments and energy bill rebates (you get to claim for electricity rebate each year as a pensioner) can be paid here, free rego of vehicle, and other free & discounted stuff). Utility bills can be paid via BPAY and at other convenient places of course. 

I am not aware if you are allowed to leave the country for a holiday in the crucial 2 year period. You situation as a long expat may affect the rules on this for you.

But this will be easy to check with Centrelink Officer when you sit and talk to them.

If you are viewed as others are, then like them who are newly receiving the Aged Pension i.e. All must reside for the larger defined percentage of the two year period in Australia (e.g you can't come back get the pension then leave and live overseas for a large part of this 2 year period maturation period) otherwise the pension will be stopped, but short periods away for holidays is allowed. 

• Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

As said above you will receive the pension while in Australia. As soon as you leave it will be stopped unless you have stayed in Australia for 2 years after first receiving it. Am not sure if that 2 years has to be continuous or can be aggregated going back and forth.

No its a solid, continuous period of time. Short holidays abroad are allowed during this period for residents. Being able to leave temporarily might be different for our OP though seeing as he is returning home after many years living abroad and registering for the first time for the Aged Pension?

Edited by Tropposurfer
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

No its a solid, continuous period of time. Short holidays abroad are allowed during this period for residents. Being able to leave temporarily might be different for our OP though seeing as he is returning home after many years living abroad and registering for the first time for the Aged Pension?

At my interview it was stressed that if I was to holiday o/s that on my return the 2 year clock would be restarted, I took this as gospel and didn't enquire further.

4 hours ago, flyswat said:

My understanding from assisting a mate recently with this problem....

There is a requirement to be resident in Australia for two years (for an Australian citizen), prior to receiving the pension while residing overseas, (assuming age requirements and asset requirements are met), especially if you have been working overseas for some years and not paying Australian taxes. 

In your case, as in my mates case, provided you meet age and asset requirements on you return to Australia for 2 years in order to meet this 2 year Australia residency period, you will be able to get a pension within 2 weeks of arrival, plus social welfare benefits for the two years in Australia then continue with a pension payment on your return to live in Thailand until you croak. I am not sure if you get pension  C.P.I. indexing after you return overseas. My mate took the opportunity (leaving his Thai/Aussie wife in Thailnd to mind the house), had several medical issues attended to cheaply, (ie, dicky knee replacement) , caught up with mates, and played lots of golf! and is now back in his rural home in Thailand.

-You have to physically be in Australia on the day you apply for the OAP (but you can apply online, Centrelink have live information about your country location on the day of application from their open link to passport data.

-Nowadays OAP applications are processed quickly and your first payment is backdated to the date you lodged your application. (NOT the day you arrived in Australia and the date of finish for the 2 years date isn't relevant to the approval.) My OAP was approved in just over 2 weeks.

- You need to visit any Centrelink office to get a CRN (Centrelink Reference Number) which involves proving your identity. AMogst several things they require a couple of official plastic cards with your name and your photo. I was struggling with this and the helpful pleasant Centrelink lady noticed my Thai Driving License, she asked if she could check what details are on the licence card, then she said 'this is perfect, we'll use this'. I said but it's not issed in Oz, she responded 'that's not needed'. Their system accepted it.

- You mentioned 'never mind about the portability stuff' or similar but may be worth sharing that you don't have to stay in Australia for the 2 years, you can leave and return several times on short trips and your pension doesn't stop or reduce. 

- Folks residing abroad (with portability) receive the full CPI increases same as folks in Oz.

- Folks with portability don't get the energy allowance (about AUD12.00? per fortnight).

- Don't listen to stories about Centrelink staff being unhelpful, rude etc., it's all changed, I found them very polite and courteous and very focused on my needs/questions. I'm in a wheelchair, they went out of their way to make me comfortable in their office, at the desk of the polite officer and she called the DVA taxi service to come nad pick me up then she came out to the taxi to ensure I was comfortable etc. Well done.

- You can call the Centrelink 'older Australians' line as often as you like, always answered quickly, very focused polite staff.

- When you do the Centrelink office visit you can also easily/quickly renew your Medicare membership. All easy and quick. Easier if you've got your old number. The lady entered the details then 2 seconds later a letter automatically printed at her desk which she gave me and said 'use this letter to prove your name and number until your card arrives'. I got the card in the post about 5 days later.

Edited by scorecard

6 hours ago, scorecard said:

- Don't listen to stories about Centrelink staff being unhelpful, rude etc., it's all changed, I found them very polite and courteous

Good description of what is needed but all staff are not what you enjoyed. The interview officer I had looked and acted as if he had just came out of rehab. Totally useless and had to photo copy everything I had provided online that fortunately I had hard copies with me. He did not want to use at the digital copy.

In the end he did not matter as the case was decided above him, even had one staff dropped from the case as she was sympathetic to my situation.

A friend of mine had a similar tale. OZ born, educated and ex Govt senior Manager. Was living in Thailand for 25 years working as an IELTS teacher and examiner but had to return OZ to do the 2 years 

He had no family, or friends here, no social contacts at all really. Ended up in a room in a boarding house. He was fortunate that his teaching experience got him a contract at a Uni and some private students. 

2 hours ago, NONG CHOK said:

Hi all, I'm 77 yo originally from Melbourne. I went through this a long time ago. I could've accessed the age pension on reaching 65 years. I had no idea about the restrictions on aged expats. I left Australia full time after being a full time resident for 60 years. I did national service, I even have an Australian service medal. I even worked for the department of defence building and maintaining war ships for 35 years. When I contacted the appropiate department I was told  to get back to Australia for 2 years without leaving for one day. As I was well established in Thailand with a Thai wife I sold my property in Melbourne and moved on. The "LUCKY COUNTRY"

"I was told  to get back to Australia for 2 years without leaving for one day. "

Maybe that was true many years/decades ago, but it's NOT true today.

I researched the whole thing carefully before I went back'

In Steps:

- Return to Oz, day of arrival is first day of the 2 years.

- Lodge applictaion for the OAP. i didn't have any detailed interview/interogation. The Centrelink oficer carefully scanned my completed OAP application form and the Statement of Assets and Income. She then commented 'your documents are fully complete,

- Do you want me to 1). lodge the documents by using the big multi-purpose machine in the office now? Or

- 2). Do you want to sit here and go through each page/question again then I'll lodge it through the multi-function machine or 

- 3). Take it home and submit yourself?

I chose 2). 15 minutes later the lady submitted my forms through their mult-function machine.

As per her sugggestion I called Centrelink Canberre (free call) late the next day and quoted my new CRN number. The pleasant/focused lady checked and said the computer has already started to process your appliction and at this point there is nothing flagged for further investigation.

All the Centrelink staff (at the initial office whereI went to to get my CRN, and on the phone) confirmed that there is no requiremnt to stay in Australia with no breaks, for 2 years. You can go abroad and come back on short trips:

- Building the total 2 years doesn't stop and start for the period(s) you're outside of Australia. 

I lodged my application for the OAP about 3 years ago.

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

"I was told  to get back to Australia for 2 years without leaving for one day. "

Maybe that was true many years/decades ago, but it's NOT true today.

I researched the whole thing carefully before I went back'

In Steps:

- Return to Oz, day of arrival is first day of the 2 years.

- Lodge applictaion for the OAP. i didn't have any detailed interview/interogation. The Centrelink oficer carefully scanned my completed OAP application form and the Statement of Assets and Income. She then commented 'your documents are fully complete,

- Do you want me to 1). lodge the documents by using the big multi-purpose machine in the office now? Or

- 2). Do you want to sit here and go through each page/question again then I'll lodge it through the multi-function machine or 

- 3). Take it home and submit yourself?

I chose 2). 15 minutes later the lady submitted my forms through their mult-function machine.

As per her sugggestion I called Centrelink Canberre (free call) late the next day and quoted my new CRN number. The pleasant/focused lady checked and said the computer has already started to process your appliction and at this point there is nothing flagged for further investigation.

All the Centrelink staff (at the initial office whereI went to to get my CRN, and on the phone) confirmed that there is no requiremnt to stay in Australia with no breaks, for 2 years. You can go abroad and come back on short trips:

- Building the total 2 years doesn't stop and start for the period(s) you're outside of Australia. 

I lodged my application for the OAP about 3 years ago.

Yes, you can go overseas for short trips I am not sure the correct days, but I think it is 10-14 days I did, and it did not affect my 2 years waiting time 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2022 at 11:43 PM, still kicking said:

Yes, you can go overseas for short trips I am not sure the correct days, but I think it is 10-14 days I did, and it did not affect my 2 years waiting time 

One of the officers on the 'older Australian hotline' told me:

- The total amount of time you can be out of Australia is not made public but it is quite extensive.

- There's no maximum number of trips out and in for the 2 year period.

- Being out in one block of time can be quite long but never allow the actual time out, on one block of time, to go over 365 days.

- Centrelink have a permanent live link to immigration (passport) in/out records and every time you come in / go out it automatically records into your Centrelink file.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2022 at 11:50 AM, norbra said:

Maybe advice not to leave during the 2 year period only applies to "returning residents" which is how Centrelink saw me on my initial application for aged pension on returning after 5 years living abroad 

Lucky man. Did you return to oz numerous times in that 5 years?