Patient claims surgeons cut his leg off without his permission - goes to Lawyer's Council for action

webfact

I would like to know what the injury was.  If it didn't get better, then how so?  Was it grangenous?  If so, not removing it would have lead to Sepsis and to death.

He may have been under medicine for pain and does not remember or just plain miscommunication.

If the leg didn't need to be removed, then he has a case.  If it did and they miscommunicated it, then I am not sure the fault lies with the doctors.

It is very common for people to be in denial getting news like that.  It may be that his brain wouldn't except it.

My uncle died of Sepsis because he refused to have his leg amputated.  He just refused to believe it was necessary.

You could say the real cause of death was denial.

7 hours ago, JoePai said:

But that's the problem - he has only "a leg" to stand on 

I think it will probably cost him an arm as well as a leg! Unless the doctor who has taken up his case is doing it "pro bono"  - call me cynical but ????

Edited by sambum

2 hours ago, Parker2100 said:

I would like to know what the injury was.  If it didn't get better, then how so?  Was it grangenous?  If so, not removing it would have lead to Sepsis and to death.

He may have been under medicine for pain and does not remember or just plain miscommunication.

If the leg didn't need to be removed, then he has a case.  If it did and they miscommunicated it, then I am not sure the fault lies with the doctors.

It is very common for people to be in denial getting news like that.  It may be that his brain wouldn't except it.

My uncle died of Sepsis because he refused to have his leg amputated.  He just refused to believe it was necessary.

You could say the real cause of death was denial.

An Eygptian friend of mine drowned in denial....

It is not credible that he was not informed.

The victim was lucky he didn't have the surgery in Austria.

In Austria a surgeon cut the wrong leg off and the lawsuit was settled for a pittance.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/12/02/health/austria-surgeon-fine-amputation-scli-intl

Surgeon fined $3,000 for amputating patient’s wrong leg

By Allegra Goodwin and Jack Guy, CNN
Published 12:30 PM EST, Thu December 2, 2021

The wrong leg of a patient was amputated at the Freistadt Clinic, in Austria, earlier this year.

From Klinikum Freistadt/Facebook

CNN — 

An Austrian court has fined a surgeon 2,700 euros ($3,050) for mistakenly amputating the wrong leg of a patient.

The 43-year-old surgeon was fined at the Linz Regional Court on Wednesday, with half of the amount suspended, “for committing grossly negligent bodily harm,” Walter Eichinger, the court’s vice president, told CNN.

On May 18 the surgeon, who was working at a clinic in Freistadt, “carried out an inadequate clarification with the existing medical records and the photo documentation before the operation for the planned amputation of the left thigh and thus marked the right leg for the surgical intervention,” said Eichinger on Thursday.

The right thigh was then “amputated without any medical indication,” added Eichinger.

The court awarded $5,666 in damages to the widow of the patient, who died before the court date, for reasons unrelated to the amputation, according to Eichinger.

Both the accused and the prosecutor have until 12 p.m. on December 6 to appeal the decision. If they do not, the court’s judgment will be final from 7 December.

In May, the hospital released a statement following the incident, which it called a “tragic mistake, caused by human error.”

Following the mistake, the man needed to have the correct leg removed above the knee as well.

“We would also like to affirm that we will be doing everything to unravel the case, to investigate all internal processes and critically analyze them. Any necessary steps will immediately be taken,” the hospital said at the time.

Edited by Advocate

2 hours ago, Advocate said:

It is not credible that he was not informed.

The victim was lucky he didn't have the surgery in Austria.

In Austria a surgeon cut the wrong leg off and the lawsuit was settled for a pittance.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/12/02/health/austria-surgeon-fine-amputation-scli-intl

Fine should be $500,000+ 

Only an idiot would get the wrong leg. Surely you can see a bad leg looks different from a good one!

17 hours ago, Mr Derek said:

What's with all the posts above? Are we now that infantilised?

This site is full of grumpy old men.  What it needs is humour to lighten our day. I've offered to write a regular funny column (three times) and not received a reply.

The unfortunate patient probably can't read English, (it seems he can barely read Thai,) so is unaware of the clever wordplay going on so no harm done.

19 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

He signed papers not knowing what is was?

So who's fault is that, his own in my opinion. Surely he could have had a wife, a friend of a friend's wife or someone translate the form to him, Dr's adding the part about amputating his leg after he signed I find a little disheartening.

Sad that he lost his leg though, but if people don't know not to sign something in another language to me is like carry a bag for someone you just me at the airport.

Light on full information, e.g. was he married, retired, didn't he have someone translate the document to him other than hospital staff, if they actually did, which I am sure they would have told him, his leg needs to come off, I say that because I know a farang who recently had his amputated, (motorcycle accident) and he said the Dr's in the public hospital said, he leg wasn't improving and had to be amputating to which he agreed and it was removed from the knee down.

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

This site is full of grumpy old men.  What it needs is humour to lighten our day. I've offered to write a regular funny column (three times) and not received a reply.

The unfortunate patient probably can't read English, (it seems he can barely read Thai,) so is unaware of the clever wordplay going on so no harm done.

Thanks Mike but we already have grabbagreenagoblin trying to write something comical or deep most days.

Good luck with your venture though.????????

On 11/17/2022 at 4:18 PM, BestB said:

May well be true, but knowing Thai inability and laziness to read anything, would not surprise me if it was there and he simply did not bother to read or to ask any question.

My rental agreement is half a page, written in large print, no more than 60-70 words and 99.9% do not read, just sign it and when they breach it are in total shock as if they had never seen it, even though they signed it

Not really a good excuse, if the surgeon didn't bother to tell him. You mean you think it's OK not to tell the patient and ask permission verbally, as long as it is slipped into the written form, possibly after he signed it?

On 11/17/2022 at 4:18 PM, BestB said:

May well be true, but knowing Thai inability and laziness to read anything, would not surprise me if it was there and he simply did not bother to read or to ask any question.

My rental agreement is half a page, written in large print, no more than 60-70 words and 99.9% do not read, just sign it and when they breach it are in total shock as if they had never seen it, even though they signed it

I think it may be in part because Thai written language appears to even be difficult for many Thais. I know my wife often depends on her phone directions rather than try to read the signs when travelling.