Tourist Has to Be Able to show 20K Baht on Arrival Suvarnabhumi

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Presumably if you left you would have a reentry permit.

Zero chance of being asked to show funds.

The posts in this thread along lines of " never asked " in 95 years of coming to Thailand are irrelevant.

That requirement would only come into play when the io is considering refused entry due to eg numerous back to back visa exempt entries and looking for additional reason to reject. 

Thank you for that info.

I last left and returned to Thailand in 2009 and have no plans to leave again, however my crystal ball may be in need of a service and recharge.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've flown in well over 40x and never been asked re funds; however - for Tourist Visa in 2022 - appears it may differ by country of origin.

We currently have a guest staying from New Zealand; they were required to provide a bank letter for their Tourist Visa application confirming they had over NZ$2000 (equates to 44,000 baht at today's rates), as per below from the cover sheet to accompany the application, bank provided while they waited (no cost):

9. A copy of the most recent bank statement providing evidence of sufficient funds for staying in Thailand (credit card and home loan accounts not accepted).

Name, bank account balance, account transactions must be clearly indicated.

The statement MUST be signed, stamped and dated by the bank.

o Tourist Visa (single entry) - at least NZ$ 2,000 per person;

o Tourist Visa (multiple entries) - at least NZ$ 9,000 per person, showing the transactions for the past 6 months;

28 minutes ago, gomangosteen said:

I've flown in well over 40x and never been asked re funds; however - for Tourist Visa in 2022 - appears it may differ by country of origin.

We currently have a guest staying from New Zealand; they were required to provide a bank letter for their Tourist Visa application confirming they had over NZ$2000 (equates to 44,000 baht at today's rates), as per below from the cover sheet to accompany the application, bank provided while they waited (no cost):

9. A copy of the most recent bank statement providing evidence of sufficient funds for staying in Thailand (credit card and home loan accounts not accepted).

Name, bank account balance, account transactions must be clearly indicated.

The statement MUST be signed, stamped and dated by the bank.

o Tourist Visa (single entry) - at least NZ$ 2,000 per person;

o Tourist Visa (multiple entries) - at least NZ$ 9,000 per person, showing the transactions for the past 6 months;

Did you read the OP.

"Show 20k in cash on arrival "

At a guess he is planning to enter visa exempt. 

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Did you read the OP.

"Show 20k in cash on arrival "

At a guess he is planning to enter visa exempt. 

I stated my own experience.

And was responding to an earlier statement "For a tourist visa it is the same." 

but thanks all the same

????

Edited by gomangosteen

i would ignore the posts

first of all you must respect the country and its rules. rule says you have to have 20K thai baht. thats it. they check or not, they care or not... it says. respect that.

and you did, thank you for that. you need that money in thai baht or same amount where you are coming from or the money you are using. just be careful about your currency there are some currencies thai banks dont exchange

19 hours ago, PJ71 said:

Another retarded rule seldom applied.

Appears to be the case. I recently flew as a tourist into Thailand on an international flight from Cambodia with Air Asia. At the Immigration desk in Bangkok DMK, the lady made no mention of cash. All I presented was my passport and boarding card. After the biometrics, I was allowed entry to Thailand. 

I've never been asked.

Been coming and going for 39 years on a regular basis.

I usually carry around 20K Bt cash leftover from previous trip PLUS my OZ $100 notes to change and stick in the Bank.

I'm sure if they randomly (or if you looked suspicious) pulled you aside, they'd ask the question.

On 11/21/2022 at 1:36 PM, ozfarang said:

You are right.

Travelled to Thailand multiple times per year for over 35 years, never been asked if I have cash with me and never carried the minimum cash required. In fact only a few hundred Baht at times

Ah.. the ‘I never needed a seatbelt’ response.....    very useful !!!... 

Facts: Visa Exempt arrivals must be carrying B20,000 in cash (or currency equivalent)

(20,000 Baht single traveler / 40,000 baht family travellers).

Reality: Unlikely to be asked. 

I’m in and out very regularly and have never been asked, because I have a visa.

But I still carry cash just in case - useful for emergency wherever I may be (cards may not always work).

Upon visa exempt entry into Thailand this cash-check is very rarely made - but there are reports of immigration being difficult and rejecting arrivals on this technicality.

Previous info suggests it is those who are suspected of working here who are asked this (i.e. visa runners (too many b2b visa exempt entries) those from Korea suspected of working as tour guides etc and those from neighbouring poorer countries that have been profiled). 

For a westerner arriving in Thailand for the fist time, or after a few months spell out of the country the probability of being asked to show funds is pretty much zero.

This technicality seems only to be invoked when immigration are looking for a reason to reject and return. 

That said: There’s no harm in carrying the cash just in case - in this case its harmless and takes no effort air on the side of caution. 

On 11/21/2022 at 5:32 PM, PJ71 said:

Another retarded rule seldom applied.

Whereas in the case of Western countries which require similar proof of finances for foreigners who wish to set foot on their hallowed turf, it is, on the other hand, an ultra-progressive rule which, in your eyes, should be applied with zeal and gusto by local immigration officers in each and every case without exception, right?

Edited by OJAS

34 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Whereas in the case of Western countries which require similar proof of finances for foreigners who wish to set foot on their hallowed turf, it is, on the other hand, an ultra-progressive rule which, in your eyes, should be applied with zeal and gusto by local immigration officers in each and every case without exception, right?

Western countries i believe that the financial requirements are required during the visa process, not asked for at arrival airport where's there's no access to ATMs before immigration.

Are you suggesting the rule to have 20K cash makes sense?

Edited by PJ71