Indonesia clamps down on foreign retirees.

Lacessit

2 minutes ago, Myran said:

X in the top right corner.

I just visited the site again to find the X..

Now no pop-up..

I'll read the article..

Ok.. I've read it.

Foot. Bullet. Pain comes to mind..

I predict an adjustment. As the article notes, attracting retirees is a competitive market.

• Haha 1

Just now, Lacessit said:

Perhaps your software does not enable an ability to cancel the pop-up, mine does.

Summary for you: Change of Immigration law there means if a retiree does not cough up USD 200,000 on deposit in an Indonesian bank, they are required to leave after 180 days.

I quote:

"The real catch causing uproar among existing and prospective expat retirees is that the new visa is supposed to replace the current retirement visa – the KITAS (KITAP for longer term).

The retirement visas have been in place for years, allowing people over 55 to use their home nation’s pension or savings to settle in Bali, get a long-term home lease and hire staff to service it. The only caveat is that you have to show proof of having the money to sustain yourself, have health insurance and a guarantor, usually organised by a local visa agent. KITAS/KITAP holders also cannot work or earn income in Indonesia.

Although it allows holders to work, the new Second Home Visa has other restrictions. To qualify, a deposit of approx. $200,000 is required to be made into an Indonesian bank, and to remain there for the duration of the visa (five or ten years). Alternatively, a “luxury home” may replace the bank deposit as surety. The definition of “luxury home” is unclear, and it only applies to certain types of leases. There are also many restrictions on foreigners owning property in Indonesia."

Thanks for the summary but I went back to the site and the pop-up was not longer there.

Bad Public Relations, but these are the people who shoot Australian citizens, so I was never going to give them my money anyway..

Lots of beaches in Asia.

12 hours ago, bobbin said:

It might be of interest.. if we didn't have to pay to read it. The pop-up cannot be dismissed, so it's not possible to read the article. Did you contribute?

If the thread doesn't die from lack of responses, you will be seeing more comments like mine.

Block the pop up.  I read it without a problem or paying.

• Like 2

I see no reason that Thailand would follow and make those who already have a Visa such as the LTR or an extension of stay jump to just one or two types of Visas.  Were they to do that, I believe you would see many use there feet and leave.  The real losers would be families who are stuck here without the breadwinner/retiree and the local establishments, restaurants, shops etc.....

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, bobbin said:

It might be of interest.. if we didn't have to pay to read it. The pop-up cannot be dismissed, so it's not possible to read the article. Did you contribute?

If the thread doesn't die from lack of responses, you will be seeing more comments like mine.

I just read it and didn't have to pay anything.

• Like 1

This is exactly why I bought a house worth only 270K THB.  

LOL...my fishing gear is worth more.

The 800K non-o will not be around for long. It is a mathematical certainty in the face of inflation.

And there won't be any grandfathering this time around when the changes are made.

20 hours ago, Myran said:

Zero issues to read it for me. The only popup was for a newsletter.

Same here - Chrome browser on Windows 10 (with Adblock Plus extension)

• Like 1

Fortunately, aside from the "Thai are best" thinking, the government here does not seem to have any real bias. While foreigners will be used by the media and government when convenient, that is, as they say, just politics. I feel like the government recognizes the value of expats, and generally does a decent job of accommodating us.

What confuses foreigners the most at the start is the convoluted nature of immigration here. But once you understand the driving forces behind this convolution, you will also understand that immigration will fight tooth and nail to prevent such a a valuable industry from being squeezed. So, confusion and frustration is guaranteed, but it seems unlikely that Thailand would choose a direction that results in a mass exodus of expats.

• Like 1