Russian teen electrocuted at public basketball court in Pattaya - faulty wiring to blame?

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Thai Rath

Authorities in Pattaya are investigating after a 19 year old Russian man was electrocuted while having a game of basketball with friends at a public court at the resort yesterday.

Police captain Yutthaphon Bunkert and Sawang Boriboon rescue services responded to a call for help from people at the court within a sports center on Sukhumvit Road Pattaya Soi 15.

They found Alexey Sobolev unresponsive. Despite CPR and being rushed to hospital he was subsequently pronounced dead.

A fellow player called Phubadin Thongseua, 20, said that Alexey had gone to retrieve a ball in an area by a metal fence and power pole.

He was electrocuted. Friends pulled him off and called for rescue.

Police sealed off the area of the court that is run by City Hall, said Thai Rath as an investigation was launched.

The media added that there were many faults at the court as they speculated who might take responsibility for the incident.

Police said it looked like a short circuit after they identified faulty wiring with duct tape loose in the immediate area of the incident. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-12-16

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Elkski said:

What Thailand needs are a few 100 million USD successful lawsuits on a few cases like this.   

Rip young guy just got his wings. 

How would 'a few 100 million USD successful lawsuits' be of help ? Ensure there are no more public leisure areas for people to enjoy ? RIP young guy, agreed.  

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, realfunster said:

I'd like to think I have a sense of humour but this is just in poor taste mate....

If the picture is the actual wiring involved , then it looks like a complete amateur botch-job and was an accident waiting to happen.

RIP to the young man, whatever his nationality ! 

Normal wiring from what I see.

1 hour ago, Elkski said:

Isn't it true that 220v is more dangerous that 120v. Or would they both be equally safe if wired with a ground and proper safety breakers?

It seems like there should be a website and numger to report dangerous looking power situations.  Maybe a reward system but more importantly a way to put responsibility on some entity.   If records show complaints and no action then jury awards would grow bigger.   Just imagine your life going ok.  Playing b-ball and dying picking up a stray ball.   So sad.   

Jury awards?

we are in Thailand,no such thing.

Yes the system should be a lot better here but i doubt the answer is

suing people.That system is also broken imo.

• Thumbs Up 1

Russian Basketball Player Electrocuted In Pattaya
by TNR Staff

image.jpeg

A YOUNG Russian basketball player was electrocuted to death at a community sports field in Pattaya last evening (Dec. 15) after touching a damaged light pole with other athletes revealing that there are electrical leaks at several other points too, Sanook.com said this morning.

At 10 p.m. Sawang Boriboon Thammasthan Foundaton’s Radio Centre received a report that someone had been seriously injured by an electric shock at Pattaya’s community sports field in Soi Sukhumvit Pattaya 15, and a team quickly went there.

At the scene they found Mr. Alexey Sobolev, 19, lying motionless and breathing heavily at the edge of a fence next to a light pole. They quickly gave him cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) as some athletes watched and rushed him to the hospital but he later died there.

Full story: https://thainewsroom.com/2022/12/16/russian-basketball-player-electrocuted-in-pattaya/

tn.jpg

-- © Copyright  THAI NEWSROOM 2022-12-16

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

It’s really sad I’ve been here a while. I’ve read about people being electrocuted while in swimming pools or resorts electrocuted by fixing your friends electric suited by picking up a ball at the basketball court. Nobody ever text responsibility here they don’t really have any real liability lawsuits that you can collect money for their ignorance, so it will continue amazing Thailand TIT 

6 hours ago, PJ71 said:

wow - that's not good.

tbh tho i'm surprised electrocutions are not more common here, the wiring is a joke.

People who receive serious shocks but survive probably don't get much press. I've even noticed stray voltages even on my charging cables for phones, and in other places where they shouldn't exist. (I have a digital voltmeter) . Have you ever felt a mild shock when touching an iphone lightning charge cable, whose contacts are exposed?