Thai ship sinks in the Gulf off Prachuap - all aboard are safe but some media report injuries and missing

webfact

4 minutes ago, chang1 said:

As someone who was a marine engineer in the 80s, I find the explanation a little odd.

The funnel is normally one of the furthest parts from the sea and the water seems calm in the photos and video. The ship had moved a few miles from where it was disabled so the storm had probably passed by the time rescuers arrived. This still leaves the question of how water can get into the engine room through the "exhaust". I would expect the ventilation ducts are far more likely to be the problem. These would be able to channel water to the generators if the ship was hit by a freak wave. 

The results of the investigation will be interesting.

Could have been combustion air intakes for the engines they are usually lower than the stacks for exhaust. That is my 26 years US Navy experience. It could have been a once a year big wave that happens on ocassion. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, moe666 said:

Could have been combustion air intakes for the engines they are usually lower than the stacks for exhaust.

Could be.???? I my experience engines draw their air from inside the engine room and not directly from outside. Some engine rooms being pressurized with alarm that sounds if a door is left open.

Then we could ask why the vessel was not sailing into the wind and/or sea. Why was it beam on?

Stranger things happen at sea.

4 hours ago, Peabody said:

Aren't the exhausts usually way up high? Did they just put a muffler sticking out the transom, like an automobile?

It probably had wet exhausts ( below water line ) or maybe even just above so I guess if the exhausts were corroded that would allow water to enter the hull. If the exhausts blew out badly then a lot of water would enter quite quickly and given Thai maintenance standards that could be very likely!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

These ships are designed for battle and the most extreme of conditions. Boats don't just list and fill with water for no reason, even in the heaviest of seas. I'm guessing they left out the bit it ran aground or hit something.  I mean how could you? ????????????

Or inadvertently opened a scuttle valve.

But to be serious, was the weather really that bad to  sink a naval ship that must have been built  to withstand some serious storms?

Edited by phetphet
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Could be.???? I my experience engines draw their air from inside the engine room and not directly from outside. Some engine rooms being pressurized with alarm that sounds if a door is left open.

Then we could ask why the vessel was not sailing into the wind and/or sea. Why was it beam on?

Stranger things happen at sea.

Well if it lost power and or listed really badly given the sea conditions it would be quite a task to keep it pointing into the wind ( direction of waves ) After loosing generator power they would have no chance in the conditions in the Gulf last night and no generator means no pumps sufficient enough to cope with a huge water intake. There should be an engine driven pump also but with Thai mainetance standards were they serviceable?? Mother nature can be cruel on those with incompetence !!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, paul1804 said:

Well if it lost power and or listed really badly given the sea conditions it would be quite a task to keep it pointing into the wind ( direction of waves ) After loosing generator power they would have no chance in the conditions in the Gulf last night and no generator means no pumps sufficient enough to cope with a huge water intake. There should be an engine driven pump also but with Thai mainetance standards were they serviceable?? Mother nature can be cruel on those with incompetence !!

Sorry, for the uninitiated. It should have been sailing into the weather before becoming swamped. Original article said the water caused the loss of electrics not the other way around. 

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

More first class Thai reporting.

obviously the ones "on deck" were easily saved. The ones below deck were more difficult to get at...

The news reports say that 106 crew were on board. Online sources for this class of corvette suggest that the normal crew is 15 officers and 72 enlisted .  

So the extra 19 "crew" were maybe extra generals/admirals along for the ride???

5 hours ago, Peabody said:

Aren't the exhausts usually way up high? Did they just put a muffler sticking out the transom, like an automobile?

Usually an S bend suffices in locking out an ingress of seawater - an airlock if you will. I'm guessing she sprung a leak and the bilge pumps were overwhelmed 

6 hours ago, Peabody said:

I think it had a combination diesl/gas turbine propulsion system. The exhaust from the gas turbine would be large diameter compared to diesel. The ship was Chinese built .........????

6 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

I think it had a combination diesl/gas turbine propulsion system. The exhaust from the gas turbine would be large diameter compared to diesel. The ship was Chinese built .........????

As far as I can find the ship was actually built in the USA.

https://www.militaryfactory.com/ships/detail.php?ship_id=htms-sukhothai-fs442-corvette-warship-royal-thai-navy

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1