Ex-Navy Officer: Warship’s Front Left Hull Was Cracked

webfact

Most of the Thai TV 'analysis' of the incident is putting alot of emphasis on multiple 'reports' of there being a number of repairs being either substandard or delayed. As there was pressure to move the budget for the purchase of the submarines.

Edited by jonclark
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, realfunster said:

Blaming an inanimate object for the incident is the most inoffensive and face saving approach and does not risk upsetting anyone.

I do hope this is not the start of a PR cover-up campaign to deflect from a thorough investigation into the causes for the sinking. 

Yes, Looks like the ball is rolling already.

Edited by Orinoco
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, 2baht said:

And lose face? Come on, they don't operate that way!

Come on. Which Western leader do you know that tells the truth?

In the West eventually the truth comes out ...then no one takes responsibility.

I wouldn't say that admitting to not having enough life vests is 'face saving'.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JohnOFphon said:

Does "Col" stand for Colonel? 

If so, that is not a rank anyone would hold if in the Navy....

Just saying.

Probably his title was mistranslated.

The original is in thai.

Likely she hit a submerged container. Still, doesn't explain why she sunk. And that's this officer is pointing to - how engines were disabled by water at the front of ship. 
Even if she was poorly maintained, she was still passing checkups. 
So something dramatic happened followed by bad captain's decisions. 
Certainly there was ample time to rescue all marines, before she sunk. She was sinking for over 6h

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 1

"Crack" on the forward, port side. Ship listed to starboard. I know water has a mind of its own, but isn't there something wrong with this?

I guess water could have entered from port, disabled power, ship turns starboard side broadside to the waves and large wave washes over starboard side.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

If this is the case, it will come as no surprise,  as Thailand doesn't take safety seriously,  and maintaining anything is none existence..

Life on the ocean waves is no joke in Thailand.. go at your peril.

It seems a more plausible explanation , a crack in the hull , than the first reported

cause of water coming in through the exhaust , as though the ship would have an

exhaust sticking out the back like a vehicle .....

regards Worgeordie    

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

"Of course, it is quite possible any hull crack developed after the power and control of the vessel was lost.".... yes, of course, it just "developed". You didn't run into anything right? Modern naval ships built in the US just don't "develop" cracks in the hull. Let's try again with a better excuse this time. Maybe the truth.

the truth, are you forgetting who you are talking about, analysing a simple incident of someone running a redlight and causing an accident is beyond them.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, internationalism said:

Probably his title was mistranslated.

The original is in thai.

Likely she hit a submerged container. Still, doesn't explain why she sunk. And that's this officer is pointing to - how engines were disabled by water at the front of ship. 
Even if she was poorly maintained, she was still passing checkups. 
So something dramatic happened followed by bad captain's decisions. 
Certainly there was ample time to rescue all marines, before she sunk. She was sinking for over 6h

Have you ever been involved in a thai goverment check up? A school I worked at would hide half the school when the officials came to inspect due to the school not having the necessary licence.  Plus the several visits I was there for the officials never left the principles office "acepting brown envelopes)...

• Thumbs Up 1