Buying vegetables in the local markets

parafareno

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Do not believe that is the case here in Bangkok, or they would not have been successful for the 30 years I have lived here.  They make a small profit but they also know the sellers and buy in bulk so prices are competitive - and more importantly the quality is kept high.  But as mentioned if want cheapest price old stock sales from supermarkets are likely to be go to place.  That said, not all grannies are rip offs.

As for fruit trucks suspect you are talking the parked type are hard to identify - those that work the soi's will have speakers advising what they have (that often could wake the dead).  

yep the one with speakers.....i can only find them around jomtien beach...from pratumnak to jomtien.....

and i saw one in front of our condo....but only once...I would buy from them every day.....i mean so cheap fruit....

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

in Ratanakorn (already mentioned) stalls have mixed bags of veg and mixed spring onion\corriander type things 10 baht, good choice 

also in chinese supermarket near walking street.....but it is quite far from me....but ratanakorn is in dark side? can somebody post map location please

18 hours ago, Seppius said:

Can't get these at the local market, best tasting sprouts I ever had in Thailand

They were available for a spell at my local market .... my Mrs brought them back after spotting them, but I don't think the locals really knew what they were, and they are no longer there.. or perhaps have a short season. I had initially brought some back from a visit to town, complaining about the price, but I still bought them. 

• Like 1

On 12/24/2022 at 1:29 PM, NextG said:

Go to Rattanakorn Market in the morning. Example; Bell pepper ???? 175 per kg at Big C. 100 baht at Rattanakorn. 
Though I’m sure you find some added complication ????

Plus all the stores at Rattankorn show their prices in Kg so you can check before you buy. Much cheaper than Big C. I would never buy fruit/vegetables in the big supermarkets.

14 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I agree, although I don't fancy the meat at Ratanakorn, it stinks

I think you hit the nail on the head wrt many of the local markets... horrible, unclean, smelly and sweltering. Big-C isn't!

On 12/24/2022 at 3:39 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Negotiate price? usually they show price per kilo and you can choose another stall if you like, what do you do? try and barter them down a kilo?

I've been to enough wet markets in Thailand in the last 15 years where there are no prices on the produce.  If the prices are posted, I look at quality and price.  By the way, I don't know a Mom & Pop market in our village that posts any prices on their produce.  Items in display cases and coolers?  Yeah.  Produce laying on the table or in a box cooler - nope.  You gotta ask.  But there are certain fruits and vegetables I like and I know the going prices locally.

So no - I don't try to barter down posted prices although I've seen other farang attempt that.  That's sort of my definition of being a Cheap Charlie.

If you live in Pattaya, and dont want to putt in the effort of finding the best produce at the best price, then you have to expect to be shafted.

Living just outside the City, Veggies are typically at least half the price of the Big C

Ie Lettuce 250 G for 50 Baht ( and non Hydro )

Spring Onions 10 Baht a large bunch

Bananas 40 Baht a bunch about 750 G

Cucumbers 20 Baht KG

Always fresh

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cake Monster said:

If you live in Pattaya, and dont want to putt in the effort of finding the best produce at the best price, then you have to expect to be shafted.

Living just outside the City, Veggies are typically at least half the price of the Big C

Ie Lettuce 250 G for 50 Baht ( and non Hydro )

Spring Onions 10 Baht a large bunch

Bananas 40 Baht a bunch about 750 G

Cucumbers 20 Baht KG

Always fresh

Those prices are typical of Ratanakorn on Thepprasit also

• Like 1

On 12/24/2022 at 1:23 PM, parafareno said:

i think they are ripping me off yes....old grannies....so hungry for their money....i paid 180 bht for small bag of veggies...

we have makro yes in pattaya...i was going to rompho market to buy stuff, but seems they give me farang prices

I buy veggies at Rampo every week.  No, definitely not as cheap as inland markets much further away but hardly a "rip-off".  The vendors in Rampo pay higher rents and the veggies I buy there are always clean, high quality and fresh, a cut above what I find at Makro and Lotus's's's's.

I don't mind paying a bit more for the convenience of having the market 5 minutes away rather than having a long drive.   

• Like 1

On 12/25/2022 at 7:57 AM, KhunLA said:

I bought bell peppers (green) last night at Makro @ 105 baht/kg.  I wouldn't drive around town for 5 baht.  And I thought that was higher than usual.

Many things I do buy at local market, when there,  Especially fresh herbs, but certainly wouldn't make a special trip unless knowing something is considerably cheaper, and maybe not even then, especially if I was driving an ICE vehicle. 

Shop at both, fresh market & Makro about once  week.  Makro usually after, then get what the fresh market didn't have, plus refrigerated/frozen items, mainly dairy & meats.  Makro being more convenient, closer, less traffic & better parking.

Never bother with Lotus and thankfully don't even have a Big C, which I avoided when one was available, even worse than Lotus.  Terrible stores.

The market is closer to he than Makro. 
Today, green peppers 80 baht per kg, red and yellow peppers, 90 baht. 

• Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, dddave said:

I buy veggies at Rampo every week.  No, definitely not as cheap as inland markets much further away but hardly a "rip-off".  The vendors in Rampo pay higher rents and the veggies I buy there are always clean, high quality and fresh, a cut above what I find at Makro and Lotus's's's's.

I don't mind paying a bit more for the convenience of having the market 5 minutes away rather than having a long drive.   

Rattanakorn is just around the corner from Rompho..

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Lol that people thinking how to vegetable shop in Pattaya markets is the most important topic...how I miss the 2000's lol

we all know you eat only meat, so shut your piehole.....one question, can you boil an egg at least? Typical guy, who has never cooked a meal in his life and relies on ladies with motorbike kitchen eating 50 bht meals each day

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, parafareno said:

Typical guy, who has never cooked a meal in his life and relies on ladies with motorbike kitchen eating 50 bht meals each day

What is wrong with that?  Good food at good price and providing employment.  

• Thumbs Up 1

55 minutes ago, parafareno said:

Typical guy, who has never cooked a meal in his life and relies on ladies with motorbike kitchen eating 50 bht meals each day

Cooking isn't everyone's forte', or facilities to cook if in small condo/apt., or not a fan of doing dishes.  Maybe just being minimalistic, and go bag at the ready.

If good food available out the door, then we'd cook a bit less at home.  As stated, when single parent, most meals out of the house, but convenient and tasty, so yea, worked then.   Doesn't now.

8 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

As well as a healthy dose of MSG, Sugar and Cooking Oil in almost every meal.

Nothing wrong with MSG, for most people, and I even add it to some home cooking dishes.  Oil, olive & peanut only, and pretty much cut sugar out of diet, with few exceptions.  Really wasn't that much of a challenge, as didn't use much sugar to begin with.  Easy enough to avoid in restaurants.

9 hours ago, NextG said:

Rattanakorn is just around the corner from Rompho..

What the H? I can almost throw a rock and hit Rattanakorn, never knew it was there. Still, I'm going to comparison shop vs. Rhompo. Ngl for S&G I checked out the fruit/veg market outside Mikes Arcade in central Pattaya and they were about double Rhompo prices. 

Edited by Furioso
my reason for editing is that I made a mistake that required quick and reliable editing.
  • Like 1