Buying vegetables in the local markets

parafareno

i think they are ripping me off yes....old grannies....so hungry for their money....i paid 180 bht for small bag of veggies...

we have makro yes in pattaya...i was going to rompho market to buy stuff, but seems they give me farang prices

Edited by parafareno

1 hour ago, parafareno said:

I buy veggies here in local markets in pattaya and it seems they are same priced as in BIG C? Seems very weird. Where do you buy your veggies for cooking?

Go to Rattanakorn Market in the morning. Example; Bell pepper ???? 175 per kg at Big C. 100 baht at Rattanakorn. 
Though I’m sure you find some added complication ????

• Like 2

1 hour ago, parafareno said:

I buy veggies here in local markets in pattaya and it seems they are same priced as in BIG C? Seems very weird. Where do you buy your veggies for cooking?

In my local market not all vendors sell at the same price. So....the thing to do is find the cheapest with good selection , good quality then buy exclusively from that vendor.

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, connda said:

Sorry you're a farang who can't negotiation prices in Thai.  By the way, if you live in a village, the villagers are not going to screw you based on skin colors if you are married to a Thai wife living in that village.  Ain't gonna happen.  It's a big problem if it does.

Negotiate price? usually they show price per kilo and you can choose another stall if you like, what do you do? try and barter them down a kilo?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, connda said:

I don't live in Pattaya.  I live in Lamphun Province.

The fruits and vegetables in the local markets are a fraction of the cost of Big C in Muang Lamphun.
The fruits and vegetables grown in the village are even less.

Suggestion?  If you want cheap fruits and vegetables , move to rural Thailand.

so for example how much is coconut? How much is kilo of mangos in rural thailand. Also pineapple big 1 piece?

18 hours ago, NextG said:

Go to Rattanakorn Market in the morning. Example; Bell pepper ???? 175 per kg at Big C. 100 baht at Rattanakorn. 
Though I’m sure you find some added complication ????

I bought bell peppers (green) last night at Makro @ 105 baht/kg.  I wouldn't drive around town for 5 baht.  And I thought that was higher than usual.

Many things I do buy at local market, when there,  Especially fresh herbs, but certainly wouldn't make a special trip unless knowing something is considerably cheaper, and maybe not even then, especially if I was driving an ICE vehicle. 

Shop at both, fresh market & Makro about once  week.  Makro usually after, then get what the fresh market didn't have, plus refrigerated/frozen items, mainly dairy & meats.  Makro being more convenient, closer, less traffic & better parking.

Never bother with Lotus and thankfully don't even have a Big C, which I avoided when one was available, even worse than Lotus.  Terrible stores.

there are these trucks going around selling mango and other fruit for 100 bht....and you get like 3 kilos.....it would be cool if some of us would buy together in bulk...and create the sample box with most of the veggies but for cheaper price...make a deal with farmers or something....

All this and no mention of the daily pickup truck sellers?  Are they not available in Pattaya?  Here in Bangkok that is what most housewives have been using for decades.  Each seller will have a set route and you can order for next day if something they do not have on truck today.  Buying within steps of home in open air sure beats most markets.  They sell everything including meat/eggs/fruit/local packaged items.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

All this and no mention of the daily pickup truck sellers?  Are they not available in Pattaya?  Here in Bangkok that is what most housewives have been using for decades.  Each seller will have a set route and you can order for next day if something they do not have on truck today.  Buying within steps of home in open air sure beats most markets.  They sell everything including meat/eggs/fruit/local packaged items.

hmm i saw veggie trucks but have same prices as rip off grannies in rompho market....

but fruti trucks, that is another story....but it is hard to spot them....i buy mango from them and melons all the time.....

1 minute ago, parafareno said:

hmm i saw veggie trucks but have same prices as rip off grannies in rompho market....

Do not believe that is the case here in Bangkok, or they would not have been successful for the 30 years I have lived here.  They make a small profit but they also know the sellers and buy in bulk so prices are competitive - and more importantly the quality is kept high.  But as mentioned if want cheapest price old stock sales from supermarkets are likely to be go to place.  That said, not all grannies are rip offs.

As for fruit trucks suspect you are talking the parked type are hard to identify - those that work the soi's will have speakers advising what they have (that often could wake the dead).  

17 minutes ago, parafareno said:

there are these trucks going around selling mango and other fruit for 100 bht....and you get like 3 kilos.....it would be cool if some of us would buy together in bulk...and create the sample box with most of the veggies but for cheaper price...make a deal with farmers or something....

in Ratanakorn (already mentioned) stalls have mixed bags of veg and mixed spring onion\corriander type things 10 baht, good choice