Chonburi governor and team repaints zebra crossings in Pattaya to prevent accidents during upcoming New Year holiday

webfact

Used to be a big problem in waikiki in Hawaii with cars hitting people in crosswalks...HI passed some tough new laws and all rental car renters are told and given rules...i believe the min fine now to even enter a crosswalk if a ped is anywhere within the crosswalk is $500 and subsequent violations up to 1000 usd....took a while but umber of people getting hit went way way down

original law:

§291C-72  Pedestrians' right-of-way in crosswalks.  (a)  The driver of a vehicle shall stop for a pedestrian who is crossing the roadway within a crosswalk when the pedestrian is either:

(1)  Upon the half of the roadway upon which the vehicle is traveling; or

(2)  Approaching the vehicle so closely from the opposite half of the roadway as to be in danger,

and shall not proceed until the pedestrian has passed the vehicle and the driver can safely proceed.

For purposes of this section, "a pedestrian who is crossing the roadway within a crosswalk" occurs when any part or extension of the pedestrian, including any part of the pedestrian's body, wheelchair, cane, crutch, or bicycle, is beyond the curb or edges of the traversable roadway and moves onto the roadway within an intersection or crosswalk.

(b)  No pedestrian shall suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of a vehicle which is so close that it is impossible for the driver to yield.

(c)  Subsection (a) shall not apply under the conditions stated in section 291C-73(b).

(d)  Whenever any vehicle is stopped at a marked crosswalk or at any unmarked crosswalk at an intersection to permit a pedestrian to cross the roadway, the driver of any other vehicle approaching from the rear shall not overtake and pass the stopped vehicle.

(e)  Every person who violates this section shall be subject to the following penalties:

(1)  For a first infraction, or any infraction not preceded within one year by a prior violation of this section, a fine of $150;

(2)  For an infraction that occurs within one year of a prior violation of this section, a fine of $300 and revocation of the person's driver's license and privilege to operate a vehicle for a period of ninety days; and

(3)  For an infraction that occurs within two years of two prior violations of this section, and for the fourth and each additional infraction of this section, regardless of when committed, a fine of $1,000, and revocation of the person's driver's license and privilege to operate a vehicle for a period of one hundred eighty days. [L 1971, c 150, pt of §1; am L 2005, c 73, §3; am L 2007, c 125, §1; am L 2019, c 132, §3]

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pomchop said:

Used to be a big problem in waikiki in Hawaii with cars hitting people in crosswalks...HI passed some tough new laws and all rental car renters are told and given rules...i believe the min fine now to even enter a crosswalk if a ped is anywhere within the crosswalk is $500 and subsequent violations up to 1000 usd....took a while but umber of people getting hit went way way down

original law:

§291C-72  Pedestrians' right-of-way in crosswalks.  (a)  The driver of a vehicle shall stop for a pedestrian who is crossing the roadway within a crosswalk when the pedestrian is either:

(2)  Approaching the vehicle so closely from the opposite half of the roadway as to be in danger,

and shall not proceed until the pedestrian has passed the vehicle and the driver can safely proceed.

For purposes of this section, "a pedestrian who is crossing the roadway within a crosswalk" occurs when any part or extension of the pedestrian, including any part of the pedestrian's body, wheelchair, cane, crutch, or bicycle, is beyond the curb or edges of the traversable roadway and moves onto the roadway within an intersection or crosswalk.

(b)  No pedestrian shall suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of a vehicle which is so close that it is impossible for the driver to yield.

(c)  Subsection (a) shall not apply under the conditions stated in section 291C-73(b).

(d)  Whenever any vehicle is stopped at a marked crosswalk or at any unmarked crosswalk at an intersection to permit a pedestrian to cross the roadway, the driver of any other vehicle approaching from the rear shall not overtake and pass the stopped vehicle.

(e)  Every person who violates this section shall be subject to the following penalties:

(1)  For a first infraction, or any infraction not preceded within one year by a prior violation of this section, a fine of $150;

(2)  For an infraction that occurs within one year of a prior violation of this section, a fine of $300 and revocation of the person's driver's license and privilege to operate a vehicle for a period of ninety days; and

(3)  For an infraction that occurs within two years of two prior violations of this section, and for the fourth and each additional infraction of this section, regardless of when committed, a fine of $1,000, and revocation of the person's driver's license and privilege to operate a vehicle for a period of one hundred eighty days. [L 1971, c 150, pt of §1; am L 2005, c 73, §3; am L 2007, c 125, §1; am L 2019, c 132, §3]

You can introduce as many laws as you like but if they are never enforced what’s the point, 100% wearing of crash hats is never enforced as is mandatory insurance and driving licences.

My taxi driver got hit by a scooter, substantial damage, scooter driver not insured therefore she has to claim from her own insurance company.

14 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

So you would not stop and possibly run some one over, do have the same philosophy at traffic lights ?

Just a soft bodied pedestrian to hit, who likely will dive out of the way, at a pedestrian crossing, at traffic lights it is a cement mixer who certainly won't. 

On 12/28/2022 at 11:21 AM, HuskerDo2 said:

"He said to all participants that the repainting of the zebra crossings was a necessary precaution to ensure the safety of pedestrians"...... Gee THANKS Governor!! Great job you are doing. Paint on a street will help a LOT (insert sarcasm here). Is there nothing better he could think of to keep people safe? How can there be so many lazy stupid people in a position of authority in this country?

It's all about the photo opportunity. I doubt he ever has to actually walk on Pattaya streets to know what they are like.

On 12/28/2022 at 10:44 PM, pomchop said:

original law:

When I was in Riyadh, I was told that when they introduced traffic lights ( before my time there ) the only way they could get drivers to obey the lights was to station cops there to throw stones at cars that drove through red lights.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

When I was in Riyadh, I was told that when they introduced traffic lights ( before my time there ) the only way they could get drivers to obey the lights was to station cops there to throw stones at cars that drove through red lights.

I can believe that, I was in Riyadh  in the early 80s and it was the wild west. Loads of crazy roundabouts I recall!

On 12/28/2022 at 9:30 AM, jcmj said:

Ummm. Aren’t Zebra crossings supposed to be Black and white? And what is that green area with some kind of writing on it before them? Please inform the public. Not that it matters what color if it’s not enforced severely. 

That didn't work, so they came up with this new color scheme. At least they acknowledge the problem and are trying to solve it. Not that this new color scheme will have much effect.

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I can believe that, I was in Riyadh  in the early 80s and it was the wild west. Loads of crazy roundabouts I recall!

I was later than that in the early 90s and don't recall any roundabouts. Plenty of multi lane expressways though. They did stop for red lights by then so probably replaced by intersections with lights.

Every year when it rained for the first time drivers went around corners too fast and skidded through the barriers. After a few years the authorities didn't bother replacing them.

On 12/28/2022 at 8:23 AM, mikebell said:

Thais are colour blind; all traffic lights look green to them.

I was in the DLT a few weeks ago with my ex-Thai gf and there was this old woman, must have been 80 or older doing the tests and she failed every one including colour blindness, reaction and depth perception.

License was still granted however, I saw a staff member give it to her with my own eyes, along with all the sycophantic waiing and bowing to a much older person. 

They will never improve the driving standards here, it is far beyond their intelligence, will and ability.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/28/2022 at 7:03 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

Painting zebra crossings doesn't do anything to prevent accidents. Just a PR exercise that achieves nothing other that a photo opportunity. Educating drivers, and more importantly giving a large fine for ignoring the crossings, might help. But then, those that would do that, the police, are as guilty as anyone else.

Doing anything effective to reduce road accidents is way beyond their ability unfortunately. 

I see all the usual 'checkpoints' are being setup all around Pattaya and the U-turns are being blocked. Didn't work the last few years won't work this year.

I wonder if they ever stop and think, "we did this last year and it had f all effect, why don't we try something different?"  ????

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Doing anything effective to reduce road accidents is way beyond their ability unfortunately. 

I see all the usual 'checkpoints' are being setup all around Pattaya and the U-turns are being blocked. Didn't work the last few years won't work this year.

I wonder if they ever stop and think, "we did this last year and it had f all effect, why don't we try something different?"  ????

Insanity is.... you know the rest.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thais DO NOT stop at pedestrian crossings.  They don't stop at pedestrian traffic lights either.  

All it does is make clueless tourists who come here more susceptible to being maimed or killed by a Thai driver, the worst and most disobedient, aggressive drivers in the world. Best to not have any pedestrian crossings here. Overhead  walkway bridges is the only safe option. 

Waste of money. Will only profiteer the contractors, the hospitals and the funeral companies. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, aussienam said:

Thais DO NOT stop at pedestrian crossings.  They don't stop at pedestrian traffic lights either.  

All it does is make clueless tourists who come here more susceptible to being maimed or killed by a Thai driver, the worst and most disobedient, aggressive drivers in the world. Best to not have any pedestrian crossings here. Overhead  walkway bridges is the only safe option. 

Waste of money. Will only profiteer the contractors, the hospitals and the funeral companies. 

I live in Pattaya and I'm going to say is is just a baseless generalisation. Many drivers do stop.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I live in Pattaya and I'm going to say is is just a baseless generalisation. Many drivers do stop.

I live here too for years and it is not baseless.  I have observed, have been a pedestrian as well as ride daily on the roads.  I have stopped at pedestrian crossings as well and had aggressive Thai drivers abuse and sound horns and race around me.  I have seen pedestrians nearly knocked over. This is not a generalization but a predominant trend.  Any compliant drivers is in extreme minority.  Crossings are dangerous as its causes a false sense of security and safety.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, aussienam said:

I live here too for years and it is not baseless.  I have observed, have been a pedestrian as well as ride daily on the roads.  I have stopped at pedestrian crossings as well and had aggressive Thai drivers abuse and sound horns and race around me.  I have seen pedestrians nearly knocked over. This is not a generalization but a predominant trend.  Any compliant drivers is in extreme minority.  Crossings are dangerous as its causes a false sense of security and safety.  

The claim was absolute. Patently false on its face. I don't drive, I walk everywhere. I find they frequently stop for me.

Edited by ozimoron

On 12/28/2022 at 9:32 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Is that their idea of a joke?

It'll only make pedestrians more at risk if they don't know that drivers don't stop for pedestrians on crossings.

True, unfortunately. In Thailand, there is zero advantage or safety using zebra crossings, as most cars and bikes won't stop when they are supposed to. That's why near schools in the morning you can often see half a dozen people stopping cars, as, otherwise they wouldn't stop for the kids using the crossings.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

2 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

True, unfortunately. In Thailand, there is zero advantage or safety using zebra crossings, as most cars and bikes won't stop when they are supposed to.

They almost all stop on the red light at a pedestrian crossing. I confirmed this an hour ago when I walked to Amazon at the end of soi 6 to get a coffee. Other than that they will stop at pedestrian crossings when there is a build up of people waiting to cross. And they will stop when they see pedestrians stranded in the middle of a crossing. Stop with the gratuitous Thai bashing.

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

The 72 yr old foreigner who did a flip off the truck 2nd Rd Jomtein might disagree with crossings working.

They're better than not having them. I just used the pedestrian crossing at si6 a few minutes ago. All the traffic stopped when the light went red. Nice of them. A bunch of people including Russian families crossed safely.

8 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

They're better than not having them. I just used the pedestrian crossing at si6 a few minutes ago. All the traffic stopped when the light went red. Nice of them. A bunch of people including Russian families crossed safely.

Agreed... however, they must be used intelligently.

Currently in the UK...  Pedestrians walking down the pavement as I’m approaching a ‘zebra’ crossing... Pedestrian steps out into the crossing without looking...   Already slowing as I approach the crossing (just incase) I stop with plenty of space....  No issues...  

I know this is not Thailand, but this highlights the ‘western’ mindset that other people are watching out for you.... especially on crossings. In Thailand this is not the case and leads the uninitiated into a false sense of security. 

Even with light operated crossings I cross with great trepidation in Thailand... 

What is required ?????..... a complete shift in the mindset of society... a cultural shift. 

This is somewhat similar to the attitudes of those towards cyclists in other countries... Younger generations are well aware that cyclists have equal rights to the roads... the older gen argue many reasons why they are nuisance and should not have equal rights... and thus drive with less regard for cyclists than others may offer.... 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1