Pattaya: "Popular" British pensioner gunned down on way home after just returning from UK Xmas visit

webfact

4 hours ago, Antti said:

It would be good to have Daily Mail and the likes cover the laughable sentence. At least it would (once again) paint Thailand in a bad light.

And yet you're still associated with it. 

The west has even worse sentences so Im not sure what the point is. The sentence was probably low because they expected better behaviour from the foreign victim who did start it by initiating the road rage.

Edited by Harsh Jones
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

On 1/6/2023 at 12:14 PM, scubascuba3 said:

The first suspect to rule out is the girlfriend and secret thai boyfriend\husband.

If popular, his friends will have a good idea 

Man 71.

Care-Giver 38.

4 years is a long time.

But, maybe no connection.

Man shot in the back.

No witnesses.

Man wore a safety helmet, but the helmet did not protect him from being hit from behind.

This is a very intriguing case, and one which someone such as Sherlock Holmes would have enjoyed.

• Sad 1

On 1/6/2023 at 3:11 AM, webfact said:

There he bought two tins of baked beans, a loaf of bread and half a roast chicken.

Vital clues there, obviously.  The assailant must like Bean & Chicken sandwiches.

5 hours ago, Harsh Jones said:

And yet you're still associated with it. 

The west has even worse sentences so Im not sure what the point is. The sentence was probably low because they expected better behaviour from the foreign victim who did start it by initiating the road rage.

You are just trolling. I’m from Finland which has one of the most lenient justice systems. This would be a second degree murder any day with a 10-13 year sentence (though only half served with good behaviour). Could be also 1st degree because one of the criteria is persistent intent to kill (IIRC the killer chased the victim down a few km’s). That would be an automatic life sentence with parole after 15-20 years with good behaviour.

Edited by Antti
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Antti said:

You are just trolling. I’m from Finland which has one of the most lenient justice systems. This would be a second degree murder any day with a 10-13 year sentence (though only half served with good behaviour). Could be also 1st degree because one of the criteria is persistent intent to kill (IIRC the killer chased the victim down a few km’s). That would be an automatic life sentence with parole after 15-20 years with good behaviour.

You were saying how bad this is and how bad it will make Thailand look. And the legions of Thailand ridiculers here gave you a thumbs up. And yet all of you still stay in and/or visit Thailand and will continue to do so. I just find it strange. 

So in Finland it would have been 10 years and half that which would be 5 years. That's not far off from what this guy is getting. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, petermik said:

I didn't realise that you were there at the time and witnessed the incident first hand...as there were only two people involved and one cannot give his version of events perhaps you should have spoke up earlier and we might have got the true story and not the admitted killers distorted version 😞

In this case if I recall, some CCTV footage collaborated with what the shooter said. What do you think happened ? 

16 hours ago, Antti said:

Holy <deleted> this country is <deleted> up. You shoot someone on the street and get basically a slap on the wrist 😡 

Life seems cheap in South East Asia. Long prison sentences are reserved for drug traffickers.

19 hours ago, JimTripper said:

People who use gun ranges are typically ultra responsible and overkill on safety. Those would be the last people to worry about.

Not in this case........

1 hour ago, petermik said:

Wrong again...the only CCTV coverage available showed the gunman's car overtaking Neil's Scooter on the lane leading to his house nearly 2 kilometres away from where the incident first took place...it was a quiet and poorly lit area somewhere where the gunman thought he could get away with it yet it proved to be his downfall....it showed his Honda Jazz overtake then stop ahead followed by flashes of gunfire... four times he was hit... in his side, under his armpit and twice in his back.. whether the shots in his back came while he was on his scooter or after he had come off it and was laid on the road we shall never know only the killer does.

Perhaps in future when replying to sensitive topics on here you do so without speculating...it makes you look rather foolish.

I was not speculating. I was stating the official record of what happened. What law enforcement have on record as happening. I wasn't the one opening it back up to speculation by pretending to not know what actually happened.

16 hours ago, zakalwe said:

Life seems cheap in South East Asia. Long prison sentences are reserved for drug traffickers.

Unless you are a Thai convicted overseas, then a ministerial position in government is possible.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Harsh Jones said:

I was not speculating. I was stating the official record of what happened. What law enforcement have on record as happening. I wasn't the one opening it back up to speculation by pretending to not know what actually happened.

BS... quote on here the official record 🤔

It is news to me, first time I read the story.   And I had to check again to get the facts, yes it was actually a road rage.

I have had some encounters with aggressive Thai males on the road myself , and once inside a shopping mall, I learned my lesson and I avoid any confrontations, I just say sorry and walk away.  

My understanding is the Brit was unhappy with the way the Thai drove the car and banged on his car a couple of times . That was enough for the Thai to chase after him and kill him in cold blood. 

I still remember one episode inside a shopping mall when I was unhappy with the service of one of the sales staff and I gave him the finger  and walked away.  That was 20 years ago and I was a newbie in Thailand.  He came after me and chased me for 1 hour, up and down the mall, I had to run for my life.  I managed to escape and never set foot inside that mall again . 

So never provoke anyone,  even if it looks innocent it could be your last day.

Edited by balo
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, balo said:

It is news to me, first time I read the story.   And I had to check again to get the facts, yes it was actually a road rage.

I have had some encounters with aggressive Thai males on the road myself , and once inside a shopping mall, I learned my lesson and I avoid any confrontations, I just say sorry and walk away.  

My understanding is the Brit was unhappy with the way the Thai drove the car and banged on his car a couple of times . That was enough for the Thai to chase after him and kill him in cold blood. 

I still remember one episode inside a shopping mall when I was unhappy with the service of one of the sales staff and I gave him the finger  and walked away.  That was 20 years ago and I was a newbie in Thailand.  He came after me and chased me for 1 hour, up and down the mall, I had to run for my life.  I managed to escape and never set foot inside that mall again . 

So never provoke anyone,  even if it looks innocent it could be your last day.

People shouldn't have to live in fear of children in adult bodies that cannot control their emotions.

• Confused 2

9 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

People shouldn't have to live in fear of children in adult bodies that cannot control their emotions.

Also children in adult bodies who are legally permitted to have firearms.

• Confused 2

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Also children in adult bodies who are legally permitted to have firearms.

Indeed.

I have experienced a few incidents around the lake and Darkside with these children in adult bodies, so I am aware and careful in my actions. 

There's a lot of complete nutcases out there on Thai roads and especially in Pattaya and on the Darkside. 

Last incident was a pick-up aggressively and dangerously driving on my back wheel while I am riding my big bike, then aggressively trying to follow me when I overtook other traffic to try to get away from them. They then drove extremely dangerously and overtaking in dangerous areas, on bends and into oncoming traffic. This was completely unprovoked, and I just accelerated away from them. Luckily my big bike has plenty of power and I was easily able to put some distance between me and this total nutter. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Last incident was a pick-up aggressively and dangerously driving on my back wheel while I am riding my big bike, then aggressively trying to follow me when I overtook other traffic to try to get away from them.

Maybe the truck driver thought you wanted to race....where you perhaps in the right hand lane (fast lane) they (idiots) tend not to like bikes being in "their" fast lane.

Posted (edited)
On 4/23/2024 at 7:12 AM, Mr Meeseeks said:

The farangs are the ones acting like children by being all confrontational about petty little things. 

If you want to go around treating strangers in public like you treated other kids on playground in elementary school then just stay home.

Defending ones honor also seems to be a foreign concept to some ppl

Edited by Harsh Jones