Fitness guy has 10 million baht's worth of jewelry stolen from locker at well known mall

webfact

Locker locks look like cheap wafer locks, maybe 3-5 pin.  Maybe some of the keys had the pin numbers stamped on the key. A prior user of that locker could easily have copied the key, or just recorded the key pin numbers and had a new key cut. These locks are really easy to pick, lots of tools on Amazon and Ebay for the job. Not so smart to entrust 10M baht to cheap lock.

Edited by Banana7
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Who the flip wears this much bling when going out and about, let alone to the gym where it's going to be in a locker?

Hmm, I can't imagine who could have arranged that :whistling:

Are you implying the gym could be negligent for NOT having cameras pointing at the lockers, you know, where the customers get dressed after their showers?

Should they maybe put some in the showers also, you know, just for extra security?

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

Are you implying the gym could be negligent for NOT having cameras pointing at the lockers, you know, where the customers get dressed after their showers?

Not really, the article (sort of) implied that they could have installed suitable security and hadn't.

I've not used a Thai gym (too many bits falling off now) but the last time I went to a sports-centre in the UK there were cubicles for changing, nice and private and the locker area was just that, an area with lockers no naked bodies running around so cameras would be just fine.

• Like 1

These gym locker thefts are not uncommon.  And not exclusively to Thailand.  
For example I was a member of a new gym in the states. Within the first month or so since it opened.  Members were having things stolen from the men’s locker room .  Pad lock’s somehow were being forced open.
I would never bring something that valuable into a gym. 

Edited by swm59nj
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, swm59nj said:

These gym locker thefts are not uncommon.  And not exclusively to Thailand.  
For example I was a member of a new gym in the states. Within the first month or so since it opened.  Members were having things stolen from the men’s locker room .  Pad lock’s somehow were being forced open.
I would never bring something that valuable into a gym. 

He'd have been better putting it under the seat of his motorbike. 

3 hours ago, Lee65 said:

Wow.  The mall is so "well-known" we need not even be told which one it is.

Modern media.  So sensitive.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

well known mall on Ngam Wong Wan road

เดอะมอลล์ รีแบรนด์+รีโนเวท เปลี่ยนสาขาแรกงามวงศ์วาน เป็น เดอะมอลล์  ไลฟ์สโตร์ | Brand Inside

There's Fitness First there... this is how the lockers look at it:

ร้าน Fitness First (ฟิตเนส เฟิร์ส) The Mall Ngamwongwan - Wongnai

Familiar?

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

There are few things in life as tacky, and classless as a diamond encrusted watch. Yikes. It ranks right up there with a Bentley, in terms of desperation. Look at me. See me. Acknowledge me. Please. I am really somebody. 

The bling is only for Showoff, Normal people who have some money they invest that money.

8 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Did your uncle ever consider the investment aspect of his Timex, i.e. none, versus the future value of Rolex watches?   Many do and the chances of a Rolex "breaking" are fairly remote.

Probably not. Why would a farmer want to wear an expensive Rolex every day where it can get dirty and scratched as he didn't sit in an office. He had no one to "impress" out in the field. 

I'm sure he took the money he would have "wasted" on the Rolex and invested it in the stock market which would have allowed him to buy 5 Rolexes when he retired. 

Forget about watches as surrogate investment and especially Rollex or other trendy ones. in a few years your watch will show signs of wear and will be outdated and lose substantial value. Exception would be if you really have original single copy. You better invest in for example gold.

5 hours ago, digger70 said:

The bling is only for Showoff, Normal people who have some money they invest that money.

Correct. It tends to be a reflection of some major self esteem issues. The over priced luxury car, the shiny, crazy expensive watches, the bling. With emotional maturity (perhaps what you meant by normal people) , self love and self respect, many of us just do not have much to prove, and do not need the envy and notice of friends and strangers. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I know of a client of mine in his mid 70's, he is worth in excess of a hundred million all day long, and one day I saw he had a Rolex on with the glass cracked, and I said to him why don't you change the glass, to which he replied, this was my fathers watch, he gave it to me in 1960 and I just wear it to remind me of him.

He is not tight with his money, but a good 7 years later when I saw him again, I said, what happen to your Rolex, he said, I lost it, I said oh no, he said, yeh, starting to lose things in my old age, to which I said, you can always buy another. To which he replied, are you serious, I wouldn't throw my money away on a watch, I can tell the time by looking at my mobile, if I lose my mobile, it's cheaper to replace than a Rolex.

And that defines the life of an impressively practical man, with good self esteem, and nothing to prove to a world that is unworthy of the effort. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

There are few things in life as tacky, and classless as a diamond encrusted watch. Yikes. It ranks right up there with a Bentley, in terms of desperation. Look at me. See me. Acknowledge me. Please. I am really somebody. 

Like it or not, but people with a Bentley and a diamond Rolex are often treated with a lot more respect than the rest of us. Long time ago I had a friend who owned an old Bentley and he was selling 2nd hand luxury watches. He was also wearing those watches. From time to time I was out with him and it was amazing what difference that made. 

Somewhere a long que in front of the latest hottest club? No problem, please sir, we open the red gate for you, please go in, someone will bring you to the VIP section. This kind of treatment, everywhere. I have to admit it's nice to be treated like that.

red-carpet.jpg?s=612x612&w=0&k=20&c=2jK7

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Like it or not, but people with a Bentley and a diamond Rolex are often treated with a lot more respect than the rest of us. Long time ago I had a friend who owned an old Bentley and he was selling 2nd hand luxury watches. He was also wearing those watches. From time to time I was out with him and it was amazing what difference that made. 

Somewhere a long que in front of the latest hottest club? No problem, please sir, we open the red gate for you, please go in, someone will bring you to the VIP section. This kind of treatment, everywhere. I have to admit it's nice to be treated like that.

red-carpet.jpg?s=612x612&w=0&k=20&c=2jK7

Well, I did not imply that those kinds of appearances do not have benefits. Many are impressed by displays of wealth. 

However, I still think those same displays reek of desperation to be accepted, admired and envied. 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, robblok said:

Most lockers are in the changing rooms. So i kinda understand why they dont want cctv there. 

But what a tool to take so much bling with him.

My first thought is that "did he actually have that stuff with him". Any CCTV proof he was wearing it?

Sounds like one of those "a katoey stole my $10,000 watch" stories to me.

2 hours ago, vangrop said:

Forget about watches as surrogate investment and especially Rollex or other trendy ones. in a few years your watch will show signs of wear and will be outdated and lose substantial value. Exception would be if you really have original single copy. You better invest in for example gold.

If you cant even spell the name "Rolex" you should really refrain from posting on these Timepieces. Actually, if you knew anything about anything, you would know that expensive timepieces that show wear & tear so to speak are actually more valuable to collectors - Best to leave "Unpolished" - Also, a Rolex will never be "Outdated", as they will always retain their value - Any Rolex model that has been "Discontinued" will always retain its value & be desirable to people that actually know about these Timepieces.