Motorcyclist, 15, dies after "chatting on the phone while riding home" - police examine texts

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thai Rath joined police in speculating that a 15 year old boy in Chachoengsao, who drove a motorcycle into a ditch and killed himself, had been on the phone.

Muang district police in the eastern seaboard province found Siwat, a local boy, with head injuries having lost a lot of blood. 

Nearby was his Honda Wave with no plate. And a phone.

Friends said that he had a job as a welder in a car repair yard and was going home late.

He was about to do a U-turn to go under a bridge for the soi on the otherside that led to his home.

Police discovered that he had sent his last text at 22.03 on the Line application.

They believe that he was probably chatting or texting on the phone and looked down for too long.

When he loooked up he saw the ditch and it was too late. 

Investigations continue. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-01-16

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

Thailand is trying it's best to hide any road death statistics, and they have been doing it for years, so much so that only WHO has some sort of idea of what the numbers are, and all that out of embedment and accountability to world community and it's own people not to show how hopeless they're in keeping people safe...

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, me4175 said:

Can't teach brain. The utter disregard for one's own safety and that of others is simply breathtaking here. And the kind of families such youngsters come from (welder with 15 years) may have a different set of life skills than the ones reading this and are usually not very receptive to road safety lessons. 

Which is why the ‘cultural shift’ starts with education at an early age.... 

It's difficult convincing adults that their carelessness needs to be altered... but children can do learn when educated correctly, whatever their socio-economic demographic. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DaLa said:

I had employment in both the steel industry and the construction industry so I always applied the greatest respect to safety. That was 50 years ago; now when consumers are instructed in the accompanying literature of a microwave oven , not to stick their head in it I despair.

Common sense amongst other traits would save a lot of lives rather than a nanny state.  I was once fined in the UK for dropping a passenger off at a bus stop.  I was fined because stopping at a bus stop for an 'unauthorised' vehicle was deemed amongst other things to be a Health and Safety issue.

Yes over the top health & safety issues in the building industry and the industrial roofing industry, made me decide to retire early. 

45 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thailand doesn’t need to be like the UK to also have a far more improved safety culture...

Thailand can easily maintain its identity without such disregard for life.

Goodluck to whoever tries to improve it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jak2002003 said:

You alps forgot one of the most useful things....luck. 

You can be as safe and careful as you like, but some idiot drivng a huge lorry or cement mixer being careless, and that could easily be game over.  

Agreed.... But you also ‘make your own luck’....

i.e. is it bad luck if I slow and stop at traffic lights and the cement mixer behind is on the phone and tears through the lights cleaning me out ?.... OR, is it good luck that I rode defensively and instead of stopping in the middle of the lane, as I was the first bike to stop, I pulled to the side of the road out of the way ?

There are other facets which many put down to ‘bad luck’ which I put down to not being careful, such as hitting a large pot-hole... lorry pulling out on you etc...  (the lorry is nearly always going to pull out - just assume its going to happen and slow or go into the right most lane etc)....

Of course, it is the ‘catastrophic’ events which simply can’t be avoided... and that is just bad-luck, wrong place wrong time sort of scenario... that can happen in a car too (or course to a lesser degree of risk of injury). 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thailand doesn’t need to be like the UK to also have a far more improved safety culture...

Thailand can easily maintain its identity without such disregard for life.

Goodluck to whoever tries to improve it. 

Indeed... its quite an 'uphill task’.... But it is one which no one seems to be prepared to take responsibly for.

Thai Authorities are so juvenile in their approach to such matters...  Those in positions of decision making power are repeatedly making announcements as if the mere mention on their name will have an impact on how the masses behave....  The utter hubris is not only comical it highlights an underlying degree of utter stupidity.

... There are simple measures that can be taken, no one in those positions of power are interested to take the steps to make things safer. There exists either a genuine lack of understanding or as mentioned above, the arrogance and hubris makes them believe all they need to do is make an announcement and the rest will fall into place... it clearly doesn’t... so lets have a ‘crack-down’ and announce another ‘hub of something or other’ to peddle the idea that something is being done.  

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed.... But you also ‘make your own luck’....

i.e. is it bad luck if I slow and stop at traffic lights and the cement mixer behind is on the phone and tears through the lights cleaning me out ?.... OR, is it good luck that I rode defensively and instead of stopping in the middle of the lane, as I was the first bike to stop, I pulled to the side of the road out of the way ?

There are other facets which many put down to ‘bad luck’ which I put down to not being careful, such as hitting a large pot-hole... lorry pulling out on you etc...  (the lorry is nearly always going to pull out - just assume its going to happen and slow or go into the right most lane etc)....

Of course, it is the ‘catastrophic’ events which simply can’t be avoided... and that is just bad-luck, wrong place wrong time sort of scenario... that can happen in a car too (or course to a lesser degree of risk of injury). 

I am sure that jak2002003 is aware of these scenarios and a hundred others.????????

• Haha 1