Beware, Thai police checkpoint on-the-spot fines jumped to 1000 baht

snoop1130

15 hours ago, talahtnut said:

On seeing a check point ahead I like to do a U turn

and proceed smartly in the opposite direction.

Ha! yes, some years ago my Son was on the bike behind me and had no helmet. We knew there was a checkpoint around the corner so I thought I would let my Son off, he could walk past the checkpoint and we would resume after a distance. Policeman stepped around the corner just as I was letting him off the bike. Foiled again!

7 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

I got an IDP for a recent visit.  My US license is for a car, but I had the guy also stamp the motorcycle endorsement.  I do have a Thai motorbike license I got in 1978.  It's still valid as I  paid for the lifetime license. 

lifetime licence? I thought 5 years was max.  How much/how difficult is a lifetime one?

What proof of life is required? (joke!)

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

NEVER leave your passport with the rental shop as a guarantee, and never let your passport out of your site when they want to make a copy.

Was curious about the reasons for this. Many shops will not rent out a bike without keeping a passport as a deposit.

The saddest part for me is that Phuket had two years of Covid to introduce a proper public transport system - I suggested many times a minibus route map similar to that in Hong Kong using the same style of small bus, and gainfully employing all the tuktuk drivers to drive them. This would have meant that tourists don’t need to rent extremely dangerous scooters.

this would resolve:

the “taxi only” parking that plagues Patong

the massive congestion caused by the taxis

The huge number of injuries and deaths from local and tourist scooter riders

reduce pollution and increase air quality 

make phuket a far nicer place to visit so more people will return and it will attract the quality tourists that TAT say they are after.

But no - sadly this opportunity has been wasted, there will likely never be another chance.

I see the Chinese tourists are already wobbling around the island on scooters, girlfriend on the back glued to her phone. Saw a few of them with bandages legs out last night !

Edited by TTSIssues
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

NEVER leave your passport with the rental shop as a guarantee, and never let your passport out of your site when they want to make a copy.

Never give them your passport. Get a copy/copies at a copy shop and void it by cross lines (write in the middle of copy name of rental shop) before giving it to a motorcycle shop. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

They are not that I know of.... the law would have to be that they cannot rent a motorcycle to someone not qualified to ride it.... what you quoted discussed that the renter/rider is the one breaking the law. 

Heck there is even an opportunity of a kickback from the police!

The perfect trap, rental business rents to any farang, police 100yrds up the road pulling them over for a tip.

If a foreigner goes to the US and rents a car or motorcycle without an IDP and valid license (car if driving a car and motorcycle if driving motorcycle), then the fine is going to be more than the equivalent of 1000 THB.

Just saying, that when foreigners come here without either driving experience on a motorcycle or a motorcycle endorsement on their home country license?  They put themselves and everyone around them in danger.  So, imho, the 1000 THB fine fits.

Fyi, when I first came here 15 years back, I came with my US drivers license with M/C endorsement and a IDP.  I was stopped at road blocks during that time, show my licenses and IDP and was on my way.

2 hours ago, johnbarpic said:

Only if you have an international translation to accompany the country of origin license 

No, why would you need an international translation if the licence is in English? Plus, it is the law here - you can use a licence from your home country if it is in English for around 6 months

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

In Pattaya, police will laugh at you if you try and pull that one, 1,000 baht later

Then you can dispute the fine and show them the actual law - I have before and didn't pay. Now I have a Thai licence though, as I stayed longer than 6 months. 

6 hours ago, AussieinThaiJim said:

Don’t ever pay “CASH”! Ask for the ticket and go to the nearest police station and pay!

Why do the police look for farang in Phuket and Pattaya because it’s easy money in the pocket!

They also set up the road checks in Rangsit and we are north of BKK.  

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Indeed...  especially if you come off and smash your head without a helmet...  some hospitals charge 18,000 baht for a few stitches !!! 

And my local government hospital only charged me 400 baht and the insurance paid up!

Edited by Almudena

17 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

If they want on the spot payment then they need to take payment via phone scan QR code, this ensures it goes to the correct place once checked 

This is my experience as well. It is all officially done.  It is good they do these checks because anyone not having a proper License is uninsured and therefore a liability to themselves and others.

2 hours ago, Grusa said:

lifetime licence? I thought 5 years was max.  How much/how difficult is a lifetime one?

What proof of life is required? (joke!)

Licences upto 2001 or so were issued for life, unfortunately I missed out by a few months when I got my Thai licence. My wife has a lifetime licence as does the mother-in-law who has never driven a car in her life. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

If they want on the spot payment then they need to take payment via phone scan QR code, this ensures it goes to the correct place once checked 

but unfortunately, the majority of people being caught are those without smart phones to scan and pay and probably don't have the banking accounts with direct pay access anyway. 

7 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

Police should also go to the sourve of the problem and hold the rental companies accountable and fine them for renting bikes to tourists without the correct license. They should also be accountable for hospital bills if they rent to an unlicensed person. Personally, i am fed up with unlicensed idiots riding bikes on the road. Many have no idea how to ride. The fines should 10,000. Clean it up.

From what I understand, some of these rental companies are owned by the police.

7 hours ago, hotchilli said:

So why do the motorcycle rental outlets get away with breaking the law ?

Read my post above about motorcycle rental companies being owned by the police.

Edited by NoshowJones
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Factually incorrect,

Thai government minimum insurance (for the motorbike) covers all riders, legal or illegal, for medical expenses up to 40,000bht.

40K baht medical coverage?

And how far will that go?

Seems only yesterday a poster was complaining about the 18K baht charge for three stitches.

Ah, well....there's always gofundme!

40 minutes ago, smew said:

BIB must love it, more tea money. Once the word gets out it will effect tourist numbers  

No it won’t....  The word has been out for decades about te police practices targeting foreigners on motorcycles without licences etc....    

... What tourist says.. “I’m not going to Thailand because I may get fined for illegally riding a motorcycle” ????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ozz1 said:

If the tuk tuks were cheaper then people probably wouldn't rent motorcycles but the tuk tuk mafia don't care or start a baht bus run but they won't allow that  that's Phuket for you

Its a valid point... 

I sandboxed in Phuket... Rented a motorcycle for the two weeks I was there (I have a licence and had my own helmet sent down)....  

The reason I rented a motorcyle is because getting around by TukTuk or Taxi is an utter rip off where as a Motorcycle was 300 baht per day... 

... the only issue of course is if going out in the evenings etc.... but it was ’sandboxing’ and not much was opening in the evenings so that was pretty much a non-issue.