Agent claims Immigration want to see 800k in bank book plus letter to transfer retirement extension to new passport.

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

I have no idea as I don’t deal with agent and I just said that I was wondering. 

Edit: and as you maybe know agents play the system so who knows how legal they act?

edit 2: did you quote the wrong person by any chance? @mokwit posted about illegal stamps etc etc. 

You commented in one of your earlier posts

'I wonder how stamps / extensions obtained via Agents hold up under scrutiny.'

This infers they could be fake I presume

• Like 1

On 1/21/2023 at 10:06 AM, Kopitiam said:

Yes, when you open a new bank account as a foreigner, the bank will want to know whether you are a "resident" in the country with the necessary immigration approval.  Here we are talking about updating a personal data (new passport).  For discussion sake, if the bank found out that you are no longer a "resident" and you cannot have an account.   The bank now say you cannot access your money because your old passport is now void and no more valid.

You either ignored my original  post or it went over your head.

This is a statement from an email I received from the bank a few years ago. I had to go to the bank and prove my visa status was on a long term basis.

"According to our information, you have opened account with TMB without submitting
the necessary documents to the bank in the account opening process. Our governing
body requires that foreigners who open account with TMB must provide such
documents to TMB Bank. Otherwise, the bank cannot provide customer with online
banking service."

When changing to a new passport it would be a lack of due diligence if they didn't check the visa status in the new passport.

23 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

A passport full of stamps with no more space does not "end" or become invalid.  A PP's expiry date is the expiry date shown in the PP! 

Are you saying it could still be used for extensions?

There was a reason I put "end" in quotes.

15 minutes ago, MJCM said:

You can presume what you want ????

I have never dealt with an agent to get ALL of my extensions (Marriage and Retirement) so I have no idea if the stamps people get are fake or not.

I just wonder when people, who deal with agents, and get their passports back, that the stamps they have in their passports are 100% legit.

For example: Near all my Extensions there is a Number recorded: for example A 123, which I guess my Extension is recorded in the "Book" A and it's on Number 123.  (Each extension has a different number).

This (I Guess) is for when your Passport is checked if you have a valid extension of stay / not on overstay, that the IO can check about if the extension is legit or not.

So again, I wonder if extensions people got through an agent are also registered in those "books" and THUS hold up under scrutiny!

You do a lot guessing how the immigration system works here in Thailand.

You really wouldn't have a clue, like the rest of the forum posters. All a lot presumptions and no real idea how the actual immigration operates.

Continue on................

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ozfarang said:

You do a lot guessing how the immigration system works here in Thailand.

You really wouldn't have a clue, like the rest of the forum posters. All a lot presumptions and no real idea how the actual immigration operates.

Continue on................

Thx will do and will continue getting extensions without the HELP of agents

:wai:

On 1/21/2023 at 9:35 AM, MJCM said:

AFAIK you only will get that LETTER (for Immigration) if you renew your Passport from WITHIN Thailand via the Embassy.

If you renew your passport OUTSIDE Thailand (fly back to your Home Country) then you will not get that Letter (Ps: I am not a Brit)

UK passports in Thailand are not issued via the British embassy

49 minutes ago, MJCM said:

OMG, so someone is living in province X and gets an Agent to apply for the extension in Province Y because in Province X the agent doesn't have any contacts.

WOW

Ps: That is the first I have heard about this

Really, surely not, illegal and a stupid thing to do that links you to agents for good if not careful.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, jippytum said:

UK passports in Thailand are not issued via the British embassy

I have no idea about that. How do you guys get the letter then if you apply for a new passport (within Thailand) and it’s not issued via the Embassy?

Edited by MJCM

1 hour ago, proton said:

what about the extensions many get from a province they do not live in as the agents have no contacts at your real office? The law says extensions must be applied for at the office of the province you live in.

The only comment I have heard on those is that the IO knows what you have done, but if it is entered into the system they don't question it/you about it. Now, if someone low level at a regional office was freelancing, as I think recently happened................

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

"According to our information, you have opened account with TMB without submitting
the necessary documents to the bank in the account opening process. Our governing
body requires that foreigners who open account with TMB must provide such
documents to TMB Bank. Otherwise, the bank cannot provide customer with online
banking service."

Yes, when opening a new bank account, the bank will want to know whether you are a "resident" with the necessary immigration approval of stay. Similarly with online banking service.

When you have a new passport, it is just a personal data update. If the banks have to check whether foreigners holding bank account still have the "resident" status, might as well ask for an annual submission of Certificate of Residency.

18 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I'd guess 99% are. If they bribe police to ignore immigration requirements, like having enough funds to be here, of course they are illegal. 

I challenge anyone to give the name of a legal agent. 

There are some agents that only help people to do the application and accompany the person doing it to immigration that are legitimate.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I'd guess 99% are. If they bribe police to ignore immigration requirements, like having enough funds to be here, of course they are illegal. 

I challenge anyone to give the name of a legal agent. 

You're no expert on all things Immigration.

Your opinions don't count for much, just like my opinions

22 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:
On 1/22/2023 at 8:32 AM, NanLaew said:
On 1/21/2023 at 5:09 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

No, any counter transaction when the passport has to be presented.  Cash deposits require ID also now.

Not at Bangkok Bank, Central branch in Udon Thani they're not.

PS: Account held at Bangkok Bank, Pattaya Sai 2 branch.

You're trying to say that those counter transactions that normally require ID, i.e. ID card for Thais or a copy of a passport for foreign customers, are not required at that BBL branch?    Foreign account holders do not need to have their identity confirmed?   I believe that is a false statement.

You claimed that "Cash deposits require ID also now." I would assume that this is probably based on your personal experience. I have not said you are making a false statement. However, your experience, like mine, is not empirical.

Over the past five years, I have frequently deposited cash into my own account as detailed above. This was as recent as last December. I have only had to present my living and breathing body, my account pass book and the 20 baht handling charge.

Now tell me, why would I lie?

I recently had stamps transferred to a new UK passport at CW, supported by an embassy letter supplied by VFS. Nothing else required. If you need, or want, to use an agent I would suggest that the one you currently have should be able to deal with this without any  hassle for you.