What scooter or bike to buy?

Startmeup

1 minute ago, Startmeup said:

That's not a bad price. When will it be out? I think I want a bit more than 125i.

You maybe surprised with the 125 Yamaha hybrid, cheap to run too...

The 'Hybrid', electric bit is used to increase power on launch etc, I was surprised.

18 minutes ago, Startmeup said:

Bangkok for the time being so just urban.
For getting around, doing groceries etc with passenger from time to time.

I like the look of having one of those boxes for storage on the back.

Budget ? Im Pcx fan, because of the storage under the seat and additional 35L top box will do a great job. Anyway everone have an opinion so it is you who are going to be satisfied. Good luck

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Startmeup said:

What does a quote usually cover from a garage?

Is it just the price of the bike itself and if so what other costs are involved if any?

There is bike price + registration (plate, tax govt insurance and yellow book) + rip off theft insurance.

don't take the theft insurance instead see a broker and buy 1st class insurance.

Prices vary, for example in Pattaya the Mityon dealers charge more for nothing, kinda falang tax so shop around, out of town if necessary 

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

There is bike price + registration (plate, tax govt insurance and yellow book) + rip off theft insurance.

don't take the theft insurance instead see a broker and buy 1st class insurance.

Prices vary, for example in Pattaya the Mityon dealers charge more for nothing, kinda falang tax so shop around, out of town if necessary 

Do foreigners have to buy outright or can it be paid by installments? 
Are the rates high or low?

Do you need a Thai driving license to buy a bike?

If budget is not your top consideration, buy the Honda ADV 160. It is a great bike for around town. If you might take some shorter road trips with it, the new Honda ADV 350 or the Forza 350 are both alot of bike for the money, but not cheap at 175,000 and up. 

I would avoid the Click and similar bikes, if you are over 80 kg. They are built for smaller people and are just not very stable or comfortable to ride. 

And buy new. It is worth it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

If budget is not your top consideration, buy the Honda ADV 160. It is a great bike for around town. If you might take some shorter road trips with it, the new Honda ADV 350 or the Forza 350 are both alot of bike for the money, but not cheap at 175,000 and up. 

I would avoid the Click and similar bikes, if you are over 80 kg. They are built for smaller people and are just not very stable or comfortable to ride. 

And buy new. It is worth it. 

Why Honda ADV as opposed to Honda PCX or Forza (is that Honda?)?
I must check YouTube there is bound to be reviews of all these bikes on there somewhere.
Im prob a little less than 80kg. 

Just now, Startmeup said:

I must check YouTube there is bound to be reviews of all these bikes on there somewhere.

The PCX is a very decent bike. The ADV has many improvements and is a step up. I love the new Honda Forza 350 and own one. Like it alot more than the Yamaha Xmax 350. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Startmeup said:

Do foreigners have to buy outright or can it be paid by installments? 
Are the rates high or low?

Do you need a Thai driving license to buy a bike?

I think getting any kind of loan here is difficult unless you have a work permit. My Thai wife has good credit, and we have gotten loans on new cars and it was fairly easy. But, I was not involved in the financing. 

On 1/23/2023 at 7:41 AM, papa al said:

They are all good man.

Huh? How to respond to such a generalization. He was asking for sound advice. Like saying all countries are great to live in. 

Next time, please devote at least 3 minutes of thought to your reply. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Startmeup said:

Being over 80kg is fine, i think the max is 120kg but often you'll see 2+ people on a bike so 150kg+

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I think getting any kind of loan here is difficult unless you have a work permit. My Thai wife has good credit, and we have gotten loans on new cars and it was fairly easy. But, I was not involved in the financing. 

You think.?

You think.?

Based on you yourself never getting involved.?

LOL

Next time, please devote at least 3 minutes of thought to your reply. 

Edited by papa al
  • Haha 1

On 1/23/2023 at 7:18 PM, Startmeup said:

Bangkok for the time being so just urban.
For getting around, doing groceries etc with passenger from time to time.

I like the look of having one of those boxes for storage on the back.

In Bangkok pretty much any scooter will do. 

spacer.png

Add the optional under-seat box and you have great storage. Comes with built in "hooks" for shopping bags and can put a box of wine on the floor. Fast enough for Bangkok traffic and nimble in tight places. ????

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Being over 80kg is fine, i think the max is 120kg but often you'll see 2+ people on a bike so 150kg+

Most 125cc and small ICE scooters are about 125 +/- kg.  Wife & myself were always a tad over max load on the Wave 125, and quite noticeable in the performance.

Hardly notice when she's on the E-MB.  DECOs are considerably higher, as mine is 200kg, though will definitely affect range.  Even their smallest, 1000w models will handle 150kg.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Used to have the Click 125i and now have the 150i. My weight has varied from almost 110kg down to around 90kg. Both Clicks have been fantastic and are perfect for around town. The 125 maybe a little under-powered for a larger pillion.