Police Say Taiwanese Actor Might Have Been Held Up For Possession of E-Cigarettes

webfact

22 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

More than a decade ago I was extorted at a New Years Eve checkpoint in Thalang Phuket.

It was just after dark and they were basically pulling every vehicle over to get as much money as possible.

When I drove back past the check point a few hours later (no other route available) it was still set up but no police.  They had taken off to spend their windfall on booze and hookers.

You were extorted for what?

How do you know what they spend it on?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

Rarely a day goes by without a story of police corruption. Who knew there were so many "bad apples"?

They're not bad apples... They’re normal guys just doing what they always do.

The corruption is so systemic this behaviour is expected, its ingrained the culture - there is a sense of entitlement that the public owe them money for being police... its almost considered a ‘tax’...  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The Metropolitan Police chief said the head of Huai Khwang police station, responsible for the checkpoint, has been told to look into the matter. CCTV camera footage from January 3 to 5 will be inspected. The taxi driver will also be asked to come in to provide his account. Witness testimonies will also be collected from the hotel where the tourists were staying.

Then hushed up and forgotten about.

9 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

you triggered by a change of words? 

Absolutely. When words have a specific meaning which everyone understands and they're changed for the sake of political correctness.

Edited by roquefort

15 minutes ago, roquefort said:

Absolutely. When words have a specific meaning which everyone understands and they're changed for the sake of political correctness.

actor has a specific meaning, it means someone who acts, so nothing changed. And you do know words and meanings do change over time, right? It isn't some plan, it just happens. 

3 hours ago, Emdog said:

Are there plenty of signs at airports and other points of entry in various languages (including Chinese) that E cigarettes are illegal? Anything on immigration form(s). I don't smoke, so don't know....

But considering how third world Thailand is considering pollutants that go into lungs, most tourists might assume vaping is okay.

In Patong last night on Bangla I saw hundreds in the crowd vaping on e-cigs there were even a few working girls at the bars using them. It was the sweet aroma of cannabis however that was everywhere.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

actor has a specific meaning, it means someone who acts, so nothing changed. And you do know words and meanings do change over time, right? It isn't some plan, it just happens. 

Meanings do not change. Actress still means a female actor. What I object to is the coercion by the woke thought police to prevent anyone using this word. That only 'just happens' if the sheeple allow it to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

So they didn't extort her for no reason, but to overlook the fact that she was allegedly carrying illegal e-cigarettes?

That's still extortion.

Plus dereliction of duty.

Plus corruption. 

Not to mention that paying a bribe is a crime too.

She had 2 options - the courts, or an illegal bribe. She took the latter. 

14 minutes ago, roquefort said:

Meanings do not change. Actress still means a female actor. What I object to is the coercion by the woke thought police to prevent anyone using this word. That only 'just happens' if the sheeple allow it to.

You will find meanings of words can do change. And who is this new police force? What law is preventing you from saying that word? You sound scared