What to do if Thai police stop you and attempt a ‘shake-down’

snoop1130

4 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

Many of the posters here who are saying that every single Thai copper is bent are the same ones who don't like the police  in any country. And whilst claiming all the police are bent, many will be using dodgy agents to front up the 800k they need for their visa........double standards of adherence to the law! They are the same ones  who are likely to have had run ins with the law in the past and don't like rules in society. To a man they will all be claiming to be UK resident whilst collecting UK State pension increases from the beach in Thailand.

And a very good morning to you too. :))

What would you estimate to be the percentage of honest, or non bent cops here? Considering what their salaries are, that they are expected to cover many of their expenses, do you really think the system is designed to support cops with integrity here? I would, and often do, make the opposite argument. 

And I tend to adhere to the law, if and when I respect the law. 

• Like 1

Regarding "...insist that you can call for a consular or embassy representative of your country.", I don't think that embassy staff are here for their citizens, but rather for the cocktail parties. I can't imagine someone from the British Embassy going out to help a British citizen for anything.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If I've done nothing wrong I'd tell the policemen who are trying to shake me down that I will see them on "Hong Grasae" at 12:35 p.m. on Channel 3 the next day. "By the way, please tell me your name(s) and badge number(s). That should make them let me go.

1 minute ago, thailand49 said:

correct why ask for a unit that is part of the swamp. 

The only time I called the Tourist police for help was at a gas station. I had a flat tyre but couldn't get one wheel nut off.

They turned up about 15 minutes later along with a recovery truck who got the wheel nut off and put the spare on for me. They charged about 300 baht and the TP would not accept any money at all.

We gave the TP some Som O that we had and they were happy with that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

What would you estimate to be the percentage of honest, or non bent cops here? Considering what their salaries are, that they are expected to cover many of their expenses, do you really think the system is designed to support cops with integrity here? I would, and often do, make the opposite argument. 

And I tend to adhere to the law, if and when I respect the law. 

I couldn't begin to guess at the percentage but I'm certain the majority are honest.

I don't know if the system is or is not designed to support integrity but it's probably not the easiest for the ones that have it. Most people base their views what the  police force is and isn't on forum discussions such as this, high profile cases such as the Taiwanese lady and casual observations of motorbike stops, most of which are aimed at tourists in tourist locations. I seriously discount these discussions as anything close to serious because it's herd behavior for the most part, the serious views that are worth considering can't be seen for the surrounding noise.

The motorbike stops in tourist areas are a bit of a game for me, it's almost like a fringe benefit where the gullible and the retarded are made to pay up. Let's face it, it is within everyone's power to be 100% legal and survive a majority of those stops by having all the correct bits and bobs and wearing a helmet....most do not and believe the rental shop owners who lie to make a sale. And which tourist on holiday here wants to wear a helmet in the hot sun, especially when lany locals don't.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, billd766 said:

The only time I called the Tourist police for help was at a gas station. I had a flat tyre but couldn't get one wheel nut off.

They turned up about 15 minutes later along with a recovery truck who got the wheel nut off and put the spare on for me. They charged about 300 baht and the TP would not accept any money at all.

If you'd have given the TP pizza you would have caught a lot of flack on this forum!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Thanks for your input,  but your story although true it doesn't happen enough sadly in the situation of a shakedown for example like the discussion with the Taiwanese in Bangkok in the Thonglor area the chances of the tourist police coming to engage the police doing their shakedown to slap their hand not know and try to put a stop I really like to see. 

But I'm happy you got your nut loosen. 

Edited by thailand49
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

or agree to having your photo taken at this stage.

They don't ask ! they just do it. 

Allow any bags or your pockets to be searched – you are entitled to record this process,

If your alone how can you film them searching your pockets?

insist that you can call for a consular or embassy representative of your country.

Brilliant idea, "Officer would you mind waiting 2 days until Monday morning, when my Embassy opens so I can call them? you see they don't work weekends, Thai, or my home country's bank holidays and then they have a 6hr drive to get here, but I'm sure they'll rush to the scene" LMAO.

• Haha 1

Regarding the comments “tourist police are useless”

ACTUALLY they can be very helpful to help de escalate problematic situations.

A Al if they have a Farang or Thai volunteer to help with language issues. Volunteers are non paid and giving their time to help you. Yes their powers are limited but they would be my first call if I’m in an uncomfortable situation.

1155 Tourist police hotline

• Like 1

Is the witholding your ID and/or motorbike keys  until you return with proof of violation payment receipt allowed?

or can you tell them to bug off, just give me my ticket and I'll be on my way?

Pattaya police like to do the above move.

I had only one time in Prachinburi a problem. They insisted I had exceeded the speed limit but it wasn't true. 

They wanted something like 600 cash. 

Told them:

Please, give me the fine ticket I will pay later at the police station. 

During a long negotiation the amount low down to 400, 300 200 and at the end they told me "please just the money for a coffee". 

They literally used the word "please" 

It was ridiculous. 

They requested me to get off the car and "speak with their boss". 

I got off, closed safety the car, and repeated the same process to the boss. 

Politely and quietly but firmly. 

And they let me go. 

Lost 20 minutes. 

From that day when I cross Prachinburi motorway I use the cruise control at 58km/h and I always record with the phone speed and road. 

Furthermore I have in the blue book a letter written from my lawyer explaining that I can record everything with the phone and if I break some law they have to issue official ticket and my lawyer will pay for me in the appropriate manner. 

I never had the opportunity to use it. (I hope it will never happen off course). 

Edited by manolothai

Ever since buying my first bike (a Honda CBR400r back in maybe 2013) I started learning the hard way.

Following a police bike down Ramkhamheang in very dense traffic, being pulled over for not riding in the gutter - my GF said following a police bike isn't a defence, because they're allowed. They can't be wrong. Paid fine and left.

Working in Samutprakarn, there were very regular mobs on Srinakarin road doing the same - stopping everyone not in the gutter... stopped and paid once or twice there.

One time approaching a green light at the top of Ladprao in heavy rain at 60km/h lights started to change, rather than brake hard on slippery road, rolled through and got stopped. At that time I made a call to a lawyer friend and was waved through.

The main issue with being 'shaken down' is they take your licence and you have to pay to get it back...

Feign complete inability to speak or understand Thai and they quickly get bored and move on to the next sucker.

At this time, I also decided to put my licence in a wallet - so I could hold it up to display it without them getting their grubby fingers on it.

If you do stop - it's enough for them, to see the licence. They never show interest in anything else - tax or insurance - and if they don't gain possession of it, they don't tell you to give them cash - because you don't need to pay them in order to retrieve your licence.

A week later, going over one of the old 'flat top' bridges on Srinakarin at 80km/h seeing traffic on the other side, I pulled across to the 2nd lane to pass, and saw police in all 3 lanes trying to usher bikes into the gutter again. They caused a major jam, and as such they were causing problems which they then stopped people for avoiding... That was the last straw - as I slowed down (now on a GSX-R750) in first gear at 30km/h I decided to blast through a gap.

One officer managed to stretch out and get his hand on the bar, but instead of stopping me he got hurt - I saw him in my mirror cradling his arm and walking off the road. 200m later, stopped at a red light - watching the police in the 'box' for 4 minutes waiting for a green light. Learned that day, if you pass them - there's no need to 'flee'. Once passed, it's all forgotten. Lesson learned - it's just a game to them, and they aren't at all serious to chase up anyone or even record the licence and chase up anyone who doesn't willingly stop.

Since then I just never stopped for them again... last time was 8 years ago but I've passed through a few since then (e.g. one where you're not allowed to exit Bangna-Trad at the U-turn exit and join the road going straight, they put a sign saying 'no right turn' but actually I was going straight. The alternative/correct route would be to exit 2km earlier and get stuck in traffic at Market Village, or do another 4km to the next exit which is past my turn.

However, I'm not sure how well this advice would go down in more 'Western' areas like Pattaya or Phuket as I don't really go there, and managed to always avoid them when I did.

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

If the situation is even slightly serious – a crash or an accusation of drug possession – insist that you can call for a consular or embassy representative of your country.

Tried that for a friend once.Embassy  just wanted to give me a list of Attorneys to call the next day. The Embassy is useless

16 hours ago, digbeth said:

some checkpoints do have legit payment desk where they issue you a proper receipt 

With duplicate receipt books, one for the boys and one for the government, I know this because the wife's cousin is a cop and he has always said to her, just throw the money at them, they will think your mad and won't want to deal with you, and will gladly accept the money, but make sure it is half of the amount.

He is spot on, worked 2 out of 2 times, but I was the one who had to calm her down, because I did nothing wrong in my driving, I said honey, honey, honey, how much did you throw at him, she said 200 baht, and then we both started laughing, that was the ice breaker for him.

I said your such a cheap Charlie, you shake me down for far more than that and I don't get upset....LOL

3 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

You see this is a major part of why I will always disagree with anything people like you say, because you completely ignore the parts you can't see or imagine. If there was no police force, the drug trade in Thailand would swamp the country in no time and chaos would ensue, the economy would just collapse. The Thai police do a decent job of taming that industry and protecting people. They also do a very good job of managing Thai on Thai crime, which is something they understand and which most foreigners never see. Too many farangs seem to think the sole reason for  the existence of the RTP is to milk farangs and conveniently overlook everything else, it's like farangs once again want to be the center of attention, just like the story that their 800k baht is propping up the economy. People should get over themselves.

I'll remember that next time I see the police standing by doing nothing as they watch all the drive violations such as kids on bikes, using the wrong side of the road etc. And on the subject of drugs, there is a house opposite mine that is clearly a place where drugs are sold. The police know of it, but do nothing. My brother-in-law is a policeman and I asked my wife what he actually does, and she has no idea.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

15 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

And Thai friends will usually just say pay the police what they ask for.

I've worked with the police and trust me, the Tourist police are the joke of the RTP. They have little power and are resentful that they have to take on farang volunteers, on the orders of the big Bkk boss. These volunteers often can't even speak Thai, and have little knowledge of the country. 

Once, I was arrested for playing poker in a farang pub and the Tourist police took 10 of us to their station. They said I could go, as they recognized me but I refused to go without my friends. They threatened us with deportation and long jail sentences, when I knew the normal fine was about 1k baht maximum. Some German volunteer <deleted> arrived and told us this was a serious crime . When they held us over an hour, refusing to budge, I made a call to the head of 7 Northern Isan provinces. Guess what, they took us back to the pub and bought us beer for a few hours! Turned out to be nice guys but absolutely no power. 

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

I think there is a police hot-line in Bangkok where disgruntled passengers can report this offence; periodically some of the fraudsters are fined 1000 baht.

Yes, there is most certainly a number one can call to complain in Bangkok... not sure it is the police though. My Mrs has used it when a driver got lost and wanted to abandon us heaven knows where. 

17 hours ago, Woof999 said:

This article said that, if you'd done something wrong and were offered an on the spot fine, it would likely be a lot less hassle and cost than going to court.

Sounds like decent advice to me.

You are correct, but is it legal? Most folk would want to get it over and done with but could offering money make things worse?????

2 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

You are correct, but is it legal? Most folk would want to get it over and done with but could offering money make things worse?????

Paying an 'on the spot fine' is illegal, of course. It's similar to foreigners paying Immigration officers 20k baht bribe to bypass immigration requirements. Totally illegal, yet strangely accepted as OK to do by some criminals. Few people live by their own morality regarding bribes in Thailand.

I have lived in other countries. it is best to pay your fine directly to the police. it is up to them to report it. this makes it simple for foreingers. it should be stanard practice. the alternative...arrest, court, lawyer, go to someplace you cannot find to pay fine....it really coild be a standard police to pay on the spot. they did it once where i lived in thaland. people got stopped. they completed a ticket, the person paid, and off they went. good idea. 

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Not sure that is fully accurate.......

Usually official fines issued by courts are small...... it is all the extortion they use prior to the case in court.... and having to wait in a cell until the courts are open would not be fun. 

Thats not completely true. 

There are check-points whereby fines can be paid on the spot.

Those checkpoints have to be ‘official’ (i.e signed off on and approved by the local chief of police), there have to be commissioned officers present. 

Otherwise, a ticket can be issued and fines can be paid at the Police station. 

The reality: When police issue a ticket, ‘most’ people do not go to the police station and pay the fine.

Everyone knows this, so the police come up with ways to ‘generate’ some leverage. 

The used to take your licence off you and only return it once you’d paid the fine (if on a traffic stop), now they can’t take your licence off you. 

At checkpoints such as these, they target the naive (i.e. those thy think are not strong enough to argue - i.e. foreigners or the young) and use threats of serious fines, delays at the police station etc to ‘encourage’ the victim to pay an on the spot fine. 

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Bloody police have too much authority to be able to initiate body searches and on the spot fines as they see fit. 

They are supposed to have ‘cause’....   but they don’t use ‘cause’ they use ’suspicion’ and they can be suspicious of any person out at night as they may or may not have some drugs on them... so in their eyes they can stop and search anyone... 

The police do not understand, respect or follow the rules by which they themselves are governed. 

How could the police have ‘cause’ to stop a group of tourists in a taxi ???....  Answer is they can’t... 

Unless the tourist was in the front seat not wearing a seatbelt, the driver was speeding or driving dangerously etc... 

• Like 2

I think this is a helpful article based on my time spent in Thailand and personal experiences. This article is trying to tell you the best way to get out of the situation. Of course it is up to you to judge the attitude of the police when you are stopped and conduct yourself in a manner that is in tune with Thai culture.  On the bottom line the article proposes a logical, realistic plan if you are stopped.

Everyone has a idea about police corruption in Thailand. You must remember if you chose to live here or stay her long term, you signed up for this possible situation.

4 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

If there was no police force, the drug trade in Thailand would swamp the country

Who do you think controls the drug trade in Thailand? Or lots of other organized crime?

I know a guy who used to be a loan shark in Thailand. Guess who his partner was to enforce the payments?

Obviously I don't know the percentage of corrupt police in this country. But I know that the Thai traffic police stopped me at least 100 times over the years (mostly for not riding on the left lane with my bike). I remember exactly one case (1!) where a police officer didn't want cash without receipt.