British woman, 20, left for dead in hit and run motorbike crash faces being thrown out of Thai hospital despite horrifying injuries after being hit with £40,000 medical bill

webfact

Unfortunately Thai hospitals  have no compassion, its money on no treatment.

I remember my next door neighbor dying on the toilet, i got him off an laid him on the floor, when the ambulance arrived and they couldn't find his passport they just left him lying there until the morgue van came in the morning.

Edited by 2008bangkok
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Surely it's time for western governments to put a travel warning out to prevent young western tourists doing something they shouldn't?

Isn't this enough for you, or anyone? ........ (UK govt Thailand web page)

<<< Road travel

There are a high number of road traffic accidents in Thailand especially involving motorcycles. The World Health Organisation (WHO) rates Thailand as the world’s deadliest countries for fatalities on motorcycles.

To drive a car or ride a motorcycle in Thailand, under Thai law you must have the correct licence and appropriate insurance for the category of vehicle you’re using. You will need to apply for a Thai driving licence or, if you already hold a UK licence, an International Driving Permit. If you drive a car or ride a motorcycle in Thailand without a valid licence, this may invalidate your travel insurance. >>>

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, VinnieK said:
3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Which hospital? Sounds like BH. One of the costliest in Thailand. 

Many insurance companies are no better than the New Jersey mafia. Total crooks. 

Expand  

Same goes for hospitals.

So, who's got a soft spot for young foreigners, probably without any form of bike license, that ride a bike in Thailand but don't bother to read the small print on their insurance (if the even have any)?

2 hours ago, Funkymover said:

And I thought the government pay , after all didn't they just say, they pay out over 400 million baht on tourists  medical bills and that's the reason for the new, 300 baht landing tax 

The 400 million Baht is probably only for life saving treatments. Otherwise the amount would be much higher.

3 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

What would be the situation if a Thai person got the same treatment in a UK hospital? It would be interesting to know. I have no idea as I have lived in Thailand now for years.

Probably free. 

Thai tourists wouldn't dream of doing something as stupid . 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, PeeJayEm said:

Isn't this enough for you, or anyone? ........ (UK govt Thailand web page)

<<< Road travel

To add to the above from same source:

Motorcycles or scooters for hire in beach resorts are often unregistered and can’t be used legally on a public road. Before you hire a vehicle, make sure you’re covered by your travel insurance and check the small print of the lease agreement.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand/safety-and-security

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bradiston said:

The family say now they are refusing. But with no further details, it's all meaningless.

In another article in a UK paper it was written, that the insurance had an exclusion written in fine print.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Expat68 said:

I am not sure where they arrive at these fees? I had a operation in the most expensive hospital in Bangkok, stayed 6 days in a luxurious private room, all medicines, doctor visits and it did not come to one eighth of that bill

A 7 hour surgery will easily cost more than 1 million Baht.

28 minutes ago, 2008bangkok said:

Unfortunately Thai hospitals  have no compassion, its money on no treatment.

I remember my next door neighbor dying on the toilet, i got him off an laid him on the floor, when the ambulance arrived and they couldn't find his passport they just left him lying there until the morgue van came in the morning.

In Thailand ambulances does not handle dead bodies!!

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It's interesting that many people here think a hospital bill for 40k GBP is outrageous in Thailand, it's not!

Maybe many can't imagine this kind of invoice. But talk to people who are used to these kind of cases and they won't be surprised.

I worked with a company who managed these kind of cases and I saw the numbers. Ouch! 

I doubt you worked in a Thai government hospital.

Cost for a broken hip for foreign patient in Thai government hospital in Chiang Mai (San Sai hospital) 2 years back was 20,000bht, paid for by the government minimum insurance. My woman did all the running around and paperwork for the old guy, insurance paid hospital direct after she filed the police report..

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2