33 lecturers pass off purchased research papers as their own work

snoop1130

11 hours ago, BananaStrong said:

As a former teacher, I've only seen about 80% of my students try to cheat.

I probably wasn't quick enough to see the other 20%.  

Do they need to or are simply passed whatever the results?

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, dj230 said:

i have to say, having went to a thai university to check it out, quite a big one in bangkok, not very impressed by the quality of the professors.

And just how did you quantify being "not very impressed by the quality of the professors."?....Research paper publications, student excellence qualities, language mastery?? 

• Love It 1

27 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

And just how did you quantify being "not very impressed by the quality of the professors."?....Research paper publications, student excellence qualities, language mastery?? 

Actually, the chances of finding quality professors throughout universities the world over might be a rare item.

7 minutes ago, fdimike said:

Rajabhat  was originally a teachers college turned into some sort of quasi university.  I recall being invited to teach Business English to a class at Rajabhat Udon Thani only to quickly learn that I would be teaching basic English instead.   It is so poorly regarded by the Thai education community that none of the credits earned there are accepted by any other truly accredited institution in Thailand.

What absolute hogwash, I know of 6 lecturers in my department that used their Rajabhat degree to then study at non-Rajabhat universitys, both Masters and PhD.

12 minutes ago, fdimike said:

Rajabhat  was originally a teachers college turned into some sort of quasi university.  I recall being invited to teach Business English to a class at Rajabhat Udon Thani only to quickly learn that I would be teaching basic English instead.   It is so poorly regarded by the Thai education community that none of the credits earned there are accepted by any other truly accredited institution in Thailand.

Indeed. 

I believe if one looked into it, you'll find that the overwhelming percentage of Thai teachers were churned out of the Rajabhat systems. There are numerous exceptions, of course. 

Tells ya all ya need to know about today's crop of educators. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2baht said:

Powerless to change Thai culture!

I agree with you but I am also have some optimism with the fact that the universities conducted investigations and discovered the plagiarism and will act in accordance to ethics and disciplinary violation. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

A few posters on here as well as former colleagues have been asked to look at research papers and dissertations. They said they were a disaster of copy and pasted nonsense from random Internet sources, then ran through Google Translate. They said they offered what minor suggestions they could, not wanting to tell them uh, this is complete garbage. The papers were accepted, and they were awarded PhDs.

At one particular farang bar out in the Issan sticks, a regular frequently got totally wasted, hung onto any newcomer who wandered in, then let loose a lot of colorful, explicit, and broken English. I once asked, gee, which Patts bar did she come from? I was then informed she was one of the top profs at the nearby Rajabhat.

What's a Thai PhD worth? Many have said it involves handing off a stack of nonsense no one will ever read, just as a formality, while it's the stack of other papers in a fat envelope that counts. But that being said, I did have some colleagues at one particular school, with Thai PhDs, who traveled abroad, did research projects at foreign universities, managed to gain something from their education and put it to use, and in talking to them found they were quite brilliant people.

Fat envelope goes a long way.

If not, just download from the net.????????

1 minute ago, zzaa09 said:

You don't really believe that, do ya?

More than likely ignored or swept under the rug. 

The suspects have been identified and investigated and make the news. The press and public has taken notice. Hall of shame will not be good for their resume and record. I think it’s a positive step.