Planning to Retire in Thailand

On 2/21/2023 at 10:42 PM, ChintaHuma said:

Is applying SS at FRA is better option or applying now and start life time reduced payment to preserve my five million baht is better?

Applying now, probably. USD2000 sounds like all you need for a modest life in Pattaya. You'll get cost-of-living increases.

You can put the 5 million to work something like this: Invest 70% of the 5 million in shares of an income-producing fund (w/ a long track record) you can liquidate quickly in an emergency, like a big hospital bill. Sell gradually as the price rises or buy more as the price drops (and then sell again as the price rises). Keep the remaining 30% in (safe, relatively) high yield cash equivalents. You might wait to see if this year presents a great buying opportunity.

That's only one way. Read and ask questions in investing forums. Most of our members live on pensions from nanny states and don't like or (obviously) know anything about investing (but are keyboard experts), so expect hostility to this idea.

Get used to using government hospitals. Look into getting an int'l policy w/ high deductible--ask over in the Health forum, I think you can find something affordable. Take good care of your health through diet and exercise to avoid the need for much healthcare. For decades, I've only paid for annual checkups.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

On 2/21/2023 at 11:04 PM, Neeranam said:

Pattaya is not the place for you. 

There are many other nice beaches a short drive from Bangkok. Hua Hin has many retired people.

Khoa Lak is a better option for you.  Much better beaches close enough to head down to Phuket if you want more complex nightlife.  The price of rentals is now increasing as vacant properties are being leased by Russian refugees and the Chinese are now on their way here as well.

7 hours ago, Hummin said:

There is many nice places in Thailand, but very few places I wish to get to old at if no decent hospital, or where traffic hinder an ambulance for an instance. 30 min can be the difference between ok and a vegetable. Also nice to live simple, and can afford a bit travelling as well, and keep a little bit safety. 

Can you please mention those places you have in mind were it is nice to grow old? I am in that searching situation myself and have been looking into Hua Hin. Do you know how the gov. hospital there is? And the privates? But also I am open for other suggestions.

Go to Cambodia, it has the cost profile for your gap fund till retirement.

Only way is up on all costs in LoS and I'm sure the lowest hoop retirement non-O 800k show money will end soon enough for new entrants...the rest maybe grandfathered in to on-going extensions....speculation yes, but I'm sure the 800k retirement visa system will get swamped by new large number applicants from India/China or similar at some point in near future to bursting point....pivot to well-heeled show money requirements like the newer visas that are not so popular.

Edited by freedomnow

9 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

suggesting Australia is more corrupt than Thailand is bizarre. Don't see corruption, 

There are none so blind....

Read my words again, I wasn't suggesting corruption in Australia is about petty rip-offs on the street or paying officials tips to do their job. Thailand style corruption is small scale compared to Australia.

There, it's about gerrymandering, politicians using tax money to pander to big business, the church and private schools. It's about conservative leaning electorates being given 3x as much government grant money as labor electorates, and much more. They consider budget money to be theirs to spend in areas that will enhance their personal political ambitions. It's corruption on a grand scale.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/22/2023 at 4:12 AM, still kicking said:

I retired in Oz with nothing since I lost everything in Thailand, now I live on the pension and pay rent and still can come to Thailand Twice a year 

Would you be kind enough to elaborate of what type of Australian accommodation you’re in that allows the pension to cover your rent, food, other expenses and twice yearly trips to Thailand? 

it must be shared accommodation right? In a remote/regional/farming location?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, still kicking said:

Show me one I live next to the beach I never ever seen something like that. 

2c9907cbc85c5c0286c76eeb1142d5b7?impolic

Little Bondi in Nhulunbuy is one of numerous beaches in East Arnhem that sees thousands of tonnes of rubbish washed up every year. (ABC News: Michael Franchi)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Would you be kind enough to elaborate of what type of Australian accommodation you’re in that allows the pension to cover your rent, food, other expenses and twice yearly trips to Thailand? 

it must be shared accommodation right? In a remote/regional/farming location?

I am renting a 2-bedroom unit and no it is not a shared accommodation. I am by my own 

I do pay 240 dollars per week and have a car pay for that the electricity here is cheaper than in Thailand my food bill is about 80 dollars per week as I said before electricity, I have not paid anything for about 2 years. Yes, I do some but less than in Thailand, why is everybody in favour of Thai living I been there done that, but I came back and never regret it  

10 minutes ago, Salerno said:

2c9907cbc85c5c0286c76eeb1142d5b7?impolic

Little Bondi in Nhulunbuy is one of numerous beaches in East Arnhem that sees thousands of tonnes of rubbish washed up every year. (ABC News: Michael Franchi)

Unfortunately, northern beaches in Australia cop the brunt of rubbish from their near Asian neighbors.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, still kicking said:

I am renting a 2-bedroom unit and no it is not a shared accommodation. I am by my own 

I do pay 240 dollars per week and have a car pay for that the electricity here is cheaper than in Thailand my food bill is about 80 dollars per week as I said before electricity, I have not paid anything for about 2 years. Yes, I do some but less than in Thailand, why is everybody in favour of Thai living I been there done that, but I came back and never regret it  

Thanks SK. The AU pension is about $500pw and your rent is $240pw, that only leaves $260 pw for food, utilities, car & other expenses. Hard to believe that there’s enough left over from that $260 to fund 2(!) x holidays to Thailand every year. 

Edited by Nemises
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, carlyai said:

What's wrong with the water? 

They dump raw sewage into the gulf not far from where you would be swimming at.  This has been documented to death in the news and discussed forever on this platform.  Feel free to do a google search and you will find a lot of information about it.

2 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

They dump raw sewage into the gulf not far from where you would be swimming at.  This has been documented to death in the news and discussed forever on this platform.  Feel free to do a google search and you will find a lot of information about it.

Yes sewage is released into the gulf. They do it all round the world.

In Australia, North Bondi beach sometimes was just full of used condoms etc from sewage. I swam every morning in Bondi and never got sick.

Same as Pattaya bay and Jontien. Swum there a lot and never got sick.

The same sort of scare messages have been passed on about not eating fish in Indonesia as it's all full of mercury. I lived there for 6 years, always at sea fish and had my heavy metals checked and no sign in my blood.

Pools, spars etc could also be polluted but most people swim in them.

Pattaya and Jontien are beautiful beaches.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Khoa Lak is a better option for you.  Much better beaches close enough to head down to Phuket if you want more complex nightlife.  The price of rentals is now increasing as vacant properties are being leased by Russian refugees and the Chinese are now on their way here as well.

Are there decent schools and golf courses there?

You sound like you will enjoy a good life here. Without the need for sex, you are way ahead of the game. You won't easily be seduced and deceived. That usually happens through sex, and many men part with alot of money, unwittingly. 

On 65,000 baht a month you can live well. Working on building up the internet biz is a good idea. Would not hurt to have extra income for savings. If it were me, I would not get health insurance. Medical care here is reasonable. You can self insure, like many of us do.

Look at other spots too. Hua Hin is just one example. Far nicer beaches close by, to the south. You have alot to look forward to. Life here is good for alot of us. 

Edited by spidermike007

You better plan on the 800i in the bank visa because it seems like agent service's are on the out with all this corruption in the recent news.    Don't spend down your 5 million.  Perhaps work 2-2 more years before moving to Thailand.   Any chance the ED can be corrected?  

1 minute ago, Srikcir said:

Check Cha am as an alternative to Hua Hin. Largely Thai and priced cheaper than tourist places. Long, clean beaches and inexpensive eateries. 

Not really cheaper, and very busy in the weekends by Thais, and the most boring place ever, but still great if you like peace and quiet innthe weekdays.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Captor said:

Can you please mention those places you have in mind were it is nice to grow old? I am in that searching situation myself and have been looking into Hua Hin. Do you know how the gov. hospital there is? And the privates? But also I am open for other suggestions.

Tell me what you need of facilities and how far from a proper hospital and airport. There is 3 major places with decent english spoken hospitals and with beaches, except some few other places with army hospitals, not sure we can depend on them, but sure some can enlightened us about that.

Those three major places is Phuket, Pattaya and Hua Hin.

Edited by Hummin

42 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Not really cheaper, and very busy in the weekends by Thais, and the most boring place ever, but still great if you like peace and quiet innthe weekdays.

Further south of Hua Hin by about 16km is Pranburi...

received_1339706793270838.jpeg

9 hours ago, Captor said:

Hua Hin was not in my mind with better places, but you have to sacrifice quality english spoken hospitals to live in those places, like more quiet, and less westerns around. 

I can start with Hua Hin, both great private hospitals and also the new modern government hospital who have Vip treatment for westerns who is willing to pay. Great service for check ups, but know nothing about their surgeons or anything else, except I hear some of the doctors and nurses working both for government and private hospitals. 

I like Krabi, parts of Phuket, Khao Lak, the beaches North of Chumpon and trang. I hear many older say Bang Saen is very nice, I have never been there myself. I could also live partly on Koh Phangan or Koh Lanta, but the weather in the long rainseason south of Prachuap Khiri Khan, can be really bad. Hua Hin have definitely best clima and weather, and not so bad air quality most of the year. Hua hin have also better beach and water quality than Pattaya except during jelly fish season/rainseason.

As said, I would settle one place or have a base where living cheap, and be able to move a little around as the season goes. 

I never ever thought I would thrive in Isan, but i do, but that is more about me, and my background and my interests, as well be able to live far away from Neighbors. 

The most important thing to know, life gets easily boring, no matter where you are in Thailand if the next door bar is not your second home. Everything about socializing seems to be through alcohol for many expats, so maybe better to have a plan if English lifestyle is not your cup of tea. 

Edited by Hummin

4 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Hua Hin was not in my mind with better places, but you have to sacrifice quality english spoken hospitals to live in those places, like more quiet, and less westerns around. 

I can start with Hua Hin, both great private hospitals and also the new modern government hospital who have Vip treatment for westerns who is willing to pay. Great service for check ups and so, but no nothing about their surgeons or anything else, except I hear some of the doctors and nurses working both for government and private hospitals. 

I like Krabi, parts of Phuket, Khao Lak, the beaches North of Chumpon and trang. I hear many older say Bang Saen is very nice, I have never been there myself. I could also live partly on Koh Phangan or Koh Lanta, but the weather in the long rainseason south or Prachuap Khiri Khan can be really bad. Hua Hin have definitely best clima and weather, and not so bad air quality most of the year. Huan hin have also better beach and water quality than Pattaya except during jelly fish season/rainseason.

As said, I would settle one place or have a base where living cheap, and be able to move a little around as the season goes. 

I never ever thought I would thrive in Isan, but i do, but that is more about ne, and my backgroundand my interest as well be able to live far away from Neighbors. 

The most important thing to know, life gets easily boring no matter where you are in Thailand if the next door bar is not your second home. Everything about socializing seems to be through alcohol for many expats, so maybe better to have a plan if English lifestyle is not your cup of tea. 

BeWell Clinic at Banyan Tree just south of Hua Hin is a great facility and many expats use them.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Are there decent schools and golf courses there?

I gathered that the OP was an elderly gentleman seeking to retire.  Why would schools be an issue for him? Where kids mentioned by him and I failed to notice?  Regarding Golf courses there is a beachside one on the Naval base at Thap Lamu which is just a few minutes drive south from Khao lak.  There might be others close by also, I don't know as I am not a golfer.

34 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

I gathered that the OP was an elderly gentleman seeking to retire.  Why would schools be an issue for him? Where kids mentioned by him and I failed to notice?  Regarding Golf courses there is a beachside one on the Naval base at Thap Lamu which is just a few minutes drive south from Khao lak.  There might be others close by also, I don't know as I am not a golfer.

Lots of golf courses in the Hua Hin/PKK Area, from Cha Am south.....

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+many+golf+courses+are+in+the+Prachuap+Khiri+Khan+province&client=ms-android-samsung-ss&sxsrf=AJOqlzVANqJyaj9OCE0gMVh2QU15EAMWfA%3A1677126366361&ei=3ur2Y9DXFf-mseMPk4-UsAY&oq=how+many+golf+courses+are+in+the+Prachuap+Khiri+Khan+province&gs_lcp=ChNtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1zZXJwEAM6BAgeEAo6BQgAEKIEOgcIIRCgARAKOgQIIRAVOgQIIRAKSgQIQRgBUKc3WNGiAWCWqQFoAXAAeACAAb0BiAG8EJIBBDQuMTOYAQCgAQHAAQE&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp#trex=m_r:1,m_t:gwp,rc_q:how%20many%20golf%20courses%20are%20in%20the%20Prachuap%20Khiri%20Khan%20province,rc_ui:1,ru_gwp:0%2C6,ru_q:how%20many%20golf%20courses%20are%20in%20the%20Prachuap%20Khiri%20Khan%20province,trex_id:so8lJc

Edited by ThailandRyan

50 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Oh, you quoted me, saying it would be better for me ???? 

10 hours ago, Captor said:

Can you please mention those places you have in mind were it is nice to grow old?

I've been nicely growing old in Pattaya, and I know many others doing the same. One old Swiss guy in my building made it to about 95, accompanied by his lovely caretaker and gf, before prostate cancer finally got him. Worked out at a nearby gym weekly. Regular patient at a nearby hospital. Lots of hospitals around Pattaya. 

• Like 1