Purpose of dogs in traditional Thai households?

RamenRaven

4 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

People have to eat, as do all living creatures. The ones you mention also eat other living things.

What would happen if no living creature from humans downward never ate any other creature? Would the whole world be a wasteland?

We do not have to eat dead animals, not eaten one in over 50 years, not doing so would not result in a wasteland. Strange how carnivores like to pretend they are animal lovers, when eating them!

Edited by proton
  • Confused 1

What you wrote is pretty accurate.  The local dogs in my neighborhood get more love, affection, and care (I dole out pain meds for injured dogs and bug meds for flea/tick infested dogs). 
And I'll pet and play with these village dogs as well.  But you are right.  I've never seen any Thai show any affection to their dogs, at least not what I consider affection.  Talking to the dogs, petting them, giving them a scratch on the head and kind words. 

How's this benefit me?  More guard dogs around my property.  We have people who we know to be involved in yaba trade walk by our house. They don't stop. My seven dogs care for the perimeter of the fenced area inside around our houses and three village dogs were taking care of the outside perimeter during their last encounter.  Lots of barking when those people walk by. 

• Confused 1

46 minutes ago, proton said:

We do not have to eat dead animals, not eaten one in over 50 years, not doing so would not result in a wasteland. Strange how carnivores like to pretend they are animal lovers, when eating them!

No! You kill them first. Animals are like humans, there are good ones and there are bad ones. You cannot call anyone an animal lover just as you cannot call anyone a human lover.

3 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Along comes Somchai with his dogs on his motorcycle sidecar driving through other dogs marked territory.

Very true. It makes me nervous to see a huge pitbull being out in the fields where others dogs have their territory.

This pitbull is generally a calm dog but when the fight for the bitches is on heaven help!

He enjoys some dry food from me for a change:

230129082322.jpg

19 hours ago, In the jungle said:

They are noisy.

They smell.

They may attack you or other people.

They may bring parasites that can make you seriously ill or kill you.

They cost you money.

They will breed uncontrollably unless you neuter them which will cost you more money.

They may harass or kill your cats and other pets.

I am not a dog person.

You have never owned a golden retriever or Irish setter.

Pure friendship, entertainment and joy to have as companions.

Two years ago, I had my full series of rabies vaccine injections. . 

I had been bitten on the toe by a rat while dining at a street night food stall. 

These days, rabies vaccination is painless. 

Also, I was able to develop a nice rapport with the same hot nurse during the series. She was Hot. But she was also kindhearted and respectful. 

About a month ago, I visited a rose-plant nursery. While there, I happened upon two overly aggressive dogs. 

Just barely did I escape being bitten, and maybe eaten. 

I'm no medical professional, but next time I visit the hospital, I think that I will get a rabies booster, just for my own peace of mind. 

In fact, when I last spoke with the nurse who injected me, she told me that she, too, had had a full series of rabies vaccinations. 

She told me that she raises cats. And she, thusly, chose to be fully vaccinated prophylactically. 

I am not saying whether her decision is right or wrong. 

All i am saying is that I know two friends who have been bitten by dogs. 

I have been attacked by dogs, several times in this land of smiling dogs. They wag their tails, then try to bite you. 

As T. Roosevelt often recommended, walk softly and carry a big stick.

If you don't have a stick, then throw stones. Sometimes, local dogs can smell a farang before you can see them. Their strategy is to sneak up from behind and bite you in the white thigh. 

Just an opinion, but I think the local dogs prefer white meat. 

Next time I visit the hospital, I will get my rabies booster vaccine, in preparation for my future, almost inevitable, dog bite. 

I am not complaining. Even our canine friends gotta make a living. 

As far as I know, rabies can be transmitted just from the saliva of the dog. 

I once read the account of a young man who had set out to walk the entire length of The Great Wall of China. His greatest fear was Man's best friend of the rabid kind. 

As far as I know, the rabies vaccine is not entirely, 100 percent, effective. 

Therefore, if this is true, one should still remain wary of all running dogs, especially during the dog days of summer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2023 at 3:24 AM, n00dle said:

Been warming up the account for a while now, good to see you finally putting it to some use.  

I'd like to warm up or rather 'thaw out' something else, but not getting the hokey pokey so I can travel and do the hokey pokey.   Would love to meet me some long time..  I got tim.ed out a lot here. ????

Edited by Cult of the Sun

I recently made a vid pointing out how americans account for almost half of all worldwide expenditures on pets. It's strange here. . It's like most americans have brain worms bc of it.  They let the dogs lick their face almost daily and many sleep w/ them. I never could understand that behavior, knowing what I know about dogs and cats for that matter.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

To make a god-awful racket, chase motorcyclists and pedestrians and <deleted> all over my front lawn and drive. Also make a nuisance of themselves on my local golf course. Roll on the visit from the vermin control people with their blow pipes to carry out their periodic cull.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2023 at 1:20 PM, In the jungle said:

They are noisy.

They smell.

They cost you money.

They will breed uncontrollably unless you neuter them which will cost you more money.

I am not a dog person.

Never mind the wife's family, what about the dogs?

• Haha 2

Traditionally in all cultures  around the world dogs were kept to guard the the  camp against  interlopers and gradually a companionship relationship developed bd of course 'working dog'.

Thai dogs are guard dog  and companions.

On 2/23/2023 at 8:20 PM, In the jungle said:

They are noisy.

They smell.

They cost you money.

I am not a dog person.

Very neatly explained , my good sir

I've never been a dog person, but I've accepted them more since living here, mostly because I feel sorry for them. Most actual Soi dogs appear scared of people in my area. They do get more aggressive though at night or early morning when it's cooler. The Soi dogs that some consider pets are the most dangerous if you ask me as they are more likely to attack others on the street to please their owners. The ones with no attachment I feel are just happy to be recognised. 

• Like 1

On 2/23/2023 at 8:41 PM, Cult of the Sun said:

So because someone started a business & gave me a laundry list of 'studies'... , I should buy their weird science project and bring it in my home?  I should clean up after it, sleep with it and share its parasites?  Hey, who am I to judge. You do you..

You sound like a barrel of laughs. The average companion dog is probably cleaner than you.

On 2/23/2023 at 8:50 PM, BangkokReady said:

You can do what you like, but many people get a lot from keeping dogs as pets.  This makes it worth the cost and hassle of maintaining them.

Even though you don't share their feelings about dogs, you should still be able to at least see the logic.

I'm not sure why you're applying extra things that aren't true.  People often have the dog sleep somewhere else, and I'm not sure how you would "share its parasites" or why you would allow it to have parasites in the first.

It sounds like you have an incomplete understanding of keeping dogs as pets, to the point where you have little appreciation of the benefits and a very exaggerated/inaccurate understanding of the costs.

your whole post breaths "having dogs in western countries". He is talking about Thailand...

I live in a totally rural situation, I currently look after 4 dogs, one is nearly 13 years old, she is quite clever. I've noticed that most of my neighbors dogs live til about 7 or less so considering all mine are older the quality food probably makes the difference, they mostly get fish and rice but I supplement with dry. We go for walks dusk and dawn, I consider them to be honest loving companions, those that die are buried, unlike being thrown into the creek, I couldn't afford vets bills all the time so I try to manage things but yeh. Don't know if I'll get more probably donate to the shelter that keeps coming up on my feed.

On 2/23/2023 at 8:41 PM, Dcheech said:

The same reasons dogs were kept in Europe, North America and many other lands say a hundred years back. Not talking about urban pooches and Hi So people & pets of those times. You can still find that in many countries  today, in what you would term 'western countries'. 

You say you are struggling with it, I suspect you haven't considered the above, or have little knowedge of it.

I have seen dogs in the UK lead the cows out to grass in the morning, opening and closing the gate after them. I think you haven't considered the fact that a farmer here won't take his dog with him and if he is sleeping out in the fields during the rice harvest the dog doesn't come along. They aren't and never have been, working dogs in Thailand.

48 minutes ago, Bluetongue said:

I live in a totally rural situation, I currently look after 4 dogs, one is nearly 13 years old, she is quite clever. I've noticed that most of my neighbors dogs live til about 7 or less so considering all mine are older the quality food probably makes the difference, they mostly get fish and rice but I supplement with dry. We go for walks dusk and dawn, I consider them to be honest loving companions, those that die are buried, unlike being thrown into the creek, I couldn't afford vets bills all the time so I try to manage things but yeh. Don't know if I'll get more probably donate to the shelter that keeps coming up on my feed.

The condition that some soi dogs are in is shocking.  It's almost cruel when people obviously give them just enough scraps to be kept clinging to life, while they are emaciated, with no hair, and covered in some kind of nasty infection.

On 3/15/2023 at 9:57 PM, cooked said:

have seen dogs in the UK lead the cows out to grass in the morning, opening and closing the gate after them.

So every farm dog in the UK is a 'working dog". I did not know and impressed. The farms I know of had dogs, one might be, say,  a German shorthair for hunting, beyond that no real emphasis on work dogs, just dogs.

On 3/18/2023 at 10:45 AM, Dcheech said:

So every farm dog in the UK is a 'working dog". I did not know and impressed. The farms I know of had dogs, one might be, say,  a German shorthair for hunting, beyond that no real emphasis on work dogs, just dogs.

Nope, didn't say that. A lot of them are just burglar alarms,